Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Sage Advice from the Group Needed - Please  (Read 2600 times)

Offline Speedy

• XR Pro
  • Town: Atlanta
Sage Advice from the Group Needed - Please
« on: November 15, 2018, 07:36:38 PM »
Hi Folks,

Well as some of you may know, I recently purchased a "gently" used 2018 XR with 7xx miles on it from a Franchise BMW dealership in the SE USA. 

The bike rides fine, looks great, but I had a very strange thing happen today.  Long story short, I discovered that the bike had been nearly totaled.  At 26 miles on the clock, the original owner drove it off the road and into a ditch avoiding a deer.  After speaking to the dealership that did the repairs (not the one I bought from), it turns out that the repair bill was US$11k.  My dealer says they were not aware of the damage/repair and currently I believe them.

After a brief call today and some research on their part, the dealership that sold me the bike has offered to buy it back at my full price...which is now my plan.  Unfortunately, I got a very good deal on it (is it still a good deal given what I now know....$3k less than the best new price I've found) and I hate that the deal has gone away.  I'm 90 percent certain returning the bike is the best approach and begin the search for a replacement, but is there some price adjustment that might make it worth keeping the bike or any other ideas?

Anybody have any sage advice for me?  All constructive input appreciated...
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 08:37:41 PM by Speedy »
2018 BMW S1000XR Ocean Blue - Current
2015 Yamaha FZ-09 Matte Grey - Current
2012 Kawasaki Concours 1400 Black - Sold
2001 Honda CBR 929 - Sold

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Re: Sage Advice from the Group Needed - Please
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 07:53:34 PM »
Get your money back and start again I had similar with a car in the mid eighties god knows what I was thinking at the time but we keep’t it and to say it was a major mistake is a gross understatement.

The complete opposite I bought a van(which I still have) that had had major damage done to it and was rebuilt but I knew that before I purchased it and as a work tool it was going to be run into the ground but not a scenario for you.

Online SimonUK

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
  • Town: Upstate, SC
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 07:58:16 PM »
That's a tough one!!

Do you know what was replaced during the fix?? The repairing dealer should be able to give you the list of items that were replaced. If it was mostly cosmetic stuff I would suggest that it may be worth hanging on to it depending on the savings you made. I am a little surprised that the selling dealer did not know about the crash as I am pretty sure the 411k would have come out of insurance. You could try to get more discount of of the dealer, but obviously YOU have to be happy with the bike you are buying.

Offline Speedy

• XR Pro
  • Town: Atlanta
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 08:08:14 PM »
With respect to the damage, I don't have the list, but according to my dealer who does now have the list the big pieces were the front forks, the swing arm, the left engine cover, left plastics, the rear sprocket and likely tons of little bits....The repairing dealer told me the only reason it was not totaled is because the frame was not bent (FWTW)...

In addition to significant resale value issues, I'm concerned about long term safety and/or wear related issues.  It only has 1300 miles on it now (600 are from my recent trip) so I have no idea how things like the tires, chain, etc might experience excessive wear resulting from lower repair tolerances vs initial assembly tolerances of a new bike.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 08:54:48 PM by Speedy »
2018 BMW S1000XR Ocean Blue - Current
2015 Yamaha FZ-09 Matte Grey - Current
2012 Kawasaki Concours 1400 Black - Sold
2001 Honda CBR 929 - Sold

Offline kwarrs1000xr

• XR Member
  • Bike: X1000SR
  • Town: St. Albans
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 08:17:03 PM »
Yep sell back to them. Knowing what you now know..... however well the bikes rides and feels you won't be able to get it out of your mind every time you throw your leg over it.

And 'should' something happen - you will be forever kicking yourself.

Ps -  no experience of this scenario, I just know what would be in my heart and head

Offline otrp

• XR Master
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 08:43:37 PM »
I'd sell it back immediately. It's tainted to say the least. Also, if you keep it and try to re-sell it later, you may take a big loss when the buyer finds out it was damaged. In addition, the electronics on these bikes are sensitive to say the least. You don't need any issues with that either.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 08:45:12 PM by otrp »

Online SimonUK

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
  • Town: Upstate, SC
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2018, 08:45:03 PM »
Forks, swingarm, etc. SELL it back to them, no question.

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2018, 08:48:47 PM »
Different country with possibly different rules/thoughts on bikes with as much damage, but-

I'd take the dealer up on the offer and congratulate yourself on getting out.

You'll never regret that choice, but you may just regret the other option - further down the line.

Offline wessie

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 XR SE Sport
  • Town: Cheltenham
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2018, 09:46:05 PM »
you would not be posting here if you did not have anxieties about the bike - take the buy back and start again otherwise you will be living with that nagging uncertainty

in the UK we have a database we can search (for a fee) that lists major insurance claims against a vehicle and other stuff like unpaid finance - do you have this locally?

Offline Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2018, 10:27:23 PM »
Yep, Send it back. As others have said you will not have anything to lose. With a fresh start you will feel much better with another bike.
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.