Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: How many miles have you done so far - Any issues resolving/appearing?  (Read 10845 times)

Offline damodici

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport
  • Town: Nottingham
I was just wondering how many miles some of you guys have managed so far on the XR and whether the bike 'loosens up' after a while?

The only reason I'm asking is that I've read a few posts about stiff/hard suspension and obviously the well documented vibrations.

Im looking at doing another test ride today if i can find a dealer open/willing, i did find the suspension a little on the hard side no matter what setting i chose when i did the first demo ride (bike had 1800 miles) and the vibrations were there but admittedly i didn't really cruise much at 70-80mph constantly so couldn't say for sure.

Thats something I'm going to hopefully test today.

I would have thought that the suspension might have come back to the rider after a few 1000 miles and the vibration 'may' reduce after the engine has bedded in more?

I guess that can only be answered by people who've done some mileage

Offline Redrick

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S 1000 XR SE
  • Town: The death Star
Re: How many miles have you done so far - Any issues resolving/appearing?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 08:06:55 AM »
I am at circa 1000 on mine and the vibes whilst still there if you look for them are less noticeable, TBH i don't notice them at all.

As for the suspension yes it is firm but it needs to be as this bike is about combining performance with some comfort, I find it more than acceptable.

If you are looking for a bike with soft and bouncy suspension that cossets whilst killing off all feedback then the XR is not the bike for you

If however you want a bike that you can do long days on in reasonable comfort that will blow all comers away when you get to the twisty mountain roads then just buy one
You tell me how fast I was going Officer !

Offline damodici

• XR Pro
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 08:19:43 AM »
*Originally Posted by Redrick [+]
I am at circa 1000 on mine and the vibes whilst still there if you look for them are less noticeable, TBH i don't notice them at all.

As for the suspension yes it is firm but it needs to be as this bike is about combining performance with some comfort, I find it more than acceptable.

If you are looking for a bike with soft and bouncy suspension that cossets whilst killing off all feedback then the XR is not the bike for you

If however you want a bike that you can do long days on in reasonable comfort that will blow all comers away when you get to the twisty mountain roads then just buy one

No definitely not after 'soft and bouncy' but perhaps a little rebound/compression adjustability is what I'm after.

Can you alter the parameters within the settings?

Offline Redrick

• XR Pro
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 08:54:24 AM »
It depends on which model you go for
The SE has the semi active suspension and ESA so you can choose between rain, road and dynamic
rain is obviously the softest, road is IMO quite plush ( bearing in mind what a weapon this bike is) certainly nicer than a full on sports bike of similar performance, Dynamic is quite a bit firmer for sportier riding on decent roads Dyna pro is very firm and IMO only worth it for a track

Bikes with non ESA ( few and far between i think) will have the usual BMW preload and rebound adjustment so if you get one of those you can in theory set it up to suit

Offline damodici

• XR Pro
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 09:00:33 AM »
*Originally Posted by Redrick [+]
It depends on which model you go for
The SE has the semi active suspension and ESA so you can choose between rain, road and dynamic
rain is obviously the softest, road is IMO quite plush ( bearing in mind what a weapon this bike is) certainly nicer than a full on sports bike of similar performance, Dynamic is quite a bit firmer for sportier riding on decent roads Dyna pro is very firm and IMO only worth it for a track

Bikes with non ESA ( few and far between i think) will have the usual BMW preload and rebound adjustment so if you get one of those you can in theory set it up to suit

cheers Redrick,

So i presume rain is the same as the S1kr and thats its capped to 100bhp or there about.

Then the road mode onwards is full power but as you go up the settings the suspension settings alter accordingly, getting hardest at Dynamic pro.

Can any adjustments be made per setting or is it pretty much you get what you're given and everybody has the same no matter the size/weight of the rider?

If the latter i guess you have to do the same sort of setup as the S1kr whereby you set the sag with the engine running?

Offline fgdriver

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Red
  • Town: London
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 09:01:52 AM »
Just coming up to 6k service and the suspension seems a bit softer that when I 1st got it.  Now that is either my backside getting used to it but also only being 5.7 in bare feet I am at full stretch for both tip toes down on the floor on a level surface.  Now before I put on the lower seat I could get more of my feet down.  Dynamic and Pro are still really stiff and GREAT fun but road mode seems a smaller bit more civilised,  I am in London so I am in road a lot during the week.

S.
As Always Ride Safe.

Offline fgdriver

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Red
  • Town: London
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2015, 09:04:53 AM »
I was told by Vines BMW that the HP in rain is only dropped by 20 down to 140 but the throttle response is wound right off.  Weather that is true or not I am not sure all I know is the bike still pulls like a freight train in rain just no snap on acceleration.

S.
As Always Ride Safe.

Offline johnboy1984

• XR Pro
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Belfast
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2015, 12:26:57 PM »
I have the sport non esa and now 700 mile on her, the suspension is perfect and its still set at factory settings... I can now honestly say I have no need for the electronic suspension...I havent even thought about touching it on my own bike... vibes arent an issue, tbh if thats the only thing people can find to  complain about then they are hard pleased. I absolutely love this bike, the best money I have ever spent. I live in one of the best biking countries in the world, its on the twisty country roads this bike really makes sense, that quickshifter is just unreal. The vibrations on mine calmed down a lot after 250 mile.

My only complaint is the buffeting, but I get that on my mates tiger and the other mates crosstourer so its probably my helmet. A pair of earplugs sorted that out. I am not a 30 mph merchant either, I ride this bike how it was intended, it gets better every time

Offline Redrick

• XR Pro
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2015, 01:19:41 PM »
Interesting point on the buffetting !

I get more buffetting with the screen in its high position and as a consequence keep it in the low setting I am a short arse at 5'8" wearing an Arai tour X4 so the peak does come into play !

Offline RichS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Surrey
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2015, 04:32:29 PM »
How many "issues" on my bike? None. :152:

Go and buy one, and stop looking for horror stories. :821:

dysfunctional