Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Unusual gear change  (Read 4801 times)

Offline MFVowles

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Essex
Unusual gear change
« on: November 16, 2018, 03:59:02 PM »
Hi Fellow Bikers, I have just purchased a S1000XR, the gear change seems a bit odd, I have come from a Triumph Tiger 800
which was very smooth & as it should be, Now this Quick shift feature on the bike, does it do unusual things when changing
up & down the box? If feels like a clonk as you change gear (which you expect, all sounds normal) but as you let the clutch our theres another clonk?? Is this normal on this bike?? The setting is on normal & not Dynamic?
Any comments/ feedback would be much appreciated.

Thank You
Mike

Online Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Re: Unusual gear change
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 04:09:19 PM »
They all do it.

Offline MFVowles

• XR Junior
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 04:19:04 PM »
Thanks Winger... So it's normal yeah...

Online Winger

• XR God
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 05:41:33 PM »
Somewhere and i’ve A gut feeling it was the defunct other website theres a technical  technical explanation about why it does it,don’t ask me to like it  :002: it just does it,just like everyone else the first time it did it  :005:

Online Bree

• XR God
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 08:02:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by MFVowles [+]
Hi Fellow Bikers, I have just purchased a S1000XR, the gear change seems a bit odd, I have come from a Triumph Tiger 800
which was very smooth & as it should be, Now this Quick shift feature on the bike, does it do unusual things when changing
up & down the box? If feels like a clonk as you change gear (which you expect, all sounds normal) but as you let the clutch our theres another clonk?? Is this normal on this bike?? The setting is on normal & not Dynamic?

Any comments/ feedback would be much appreciated.

Thank You
Mike

Hi Mike, Just one thing I noticed in your post, I understand the clonk when you put it in gear. But you then mention with the quickshifter you get another clonk, when you use the clutch. If its during normal shifting then you should not be using the clutch ?. Excuse me if I have misunderstood you.
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline MFVowles

• XR Junior
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2018, 09:38:00 AM »
Thanks Bree for the reply, the setting is on normal, excuse my ignorance, are you implying that on this setting you only use the clutch for pull away & stopping? And on Dynamic does the same apply?

Thanks
Mike

Online Bree

• XR God
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2018, 09:44:17 AM »
*Originally Posted by MFVowles [+]
Thanks Bree for the reply, the setting is on normal, excuse my ignorance, are you implying that on this setting you only use the clutch for pull away & stopping? And on Dynamic does the same apply?

Thanks
Mike

Hi Mike.
Yes that is correct when you use the quickshifter, you do not use the Clutch. Only on pulling away & coming to a stop. Of course I use the clutch as Normal in traffic and other circumstances when riding. But I am sure you will work out when it works best for you. And that counts in all the modes, road, dynamic, or dynamic pro.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 09:45:41 AM by Bree »
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline MFVowles

• XR Junior
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2018, 09:47:39 AM »
Thanks Bree appreciate that! It's a nice day down here so think ill go for a ride..

Best
Mike

Online Winger

• XR God
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2018, 09:54:54 AM »
Despite everything that is said about the X/R on here the one thing that I have mentioned to me by folks who have test ridden it,it has the best QS on any bike they have ridden,i’ve tried 3 so far the Healtech on my K I have just fitted is ok but only something to use from maybe 3rd upwards the one I tried on the KTM GT was good when it wanted to be but I stopped using it from first to second.

Offline Norbs

• XR Pro
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2018, 11:34:22 AM »
Is it a feeling of notchiness or a click as you are releasing the clutch? Almost like the cable is snagging? Those symptoms are a quirk of a slipper clutch. I get it on my fireblade aswell.

I use the clutch quite a lot on the XR so I've experienced the click a fair bit. I love the QS but tend to limit its use to overtaking and spirited riding. I never use the QS 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 1st. 3rd,4th,5th with lots of revs is where it's working best.

Just to be clear.... The click I am talking about is only a symptom of the clutch releasing. Its not a click I get when using the QS.