Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Unusual gear change  (Read 751 times)

Offline merlin

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Ilminster
Re: Unusual gear change
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2018, 06:55:35 PM »
*Originally Posted by Norbs [+]
Is it a feeling of notchiness or a click as you are releasing the clutch? Almost like the cable is snagging?
Just to be clear.... The click I am talking about is only a symptom of the clutch releasing. Its not a click I get when using the QS.
Yeah I get that when I use the clutch for downshifting at low speeds.

Offline 1964Hall

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000 XR 18
  • Town: Salisbury'ish
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2018, 07:48:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by Norbs [+]
Is it a feeling of notchiness or a click as you are releasing the clutch? Almost like the cable is snagging? Those symptoms are a quirk of a slipper clutch. I get it on my fireblade aswell.

I use the clutch quite a lot on the XR so I've experienced the click a fair bit. I love the QS but tend to limit its use to overtaking and spirited riding. I never use the QS 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 1st. 3rd,4th,5th with lots of revs is where it's working best.

Just to be clear.... The click I am talking about is only a symptom of the clutch releasing. Its not a click I get when using the QS.
This is correct, my S1000r was the same when using the clutch, not every time, but on occasion.
Something we do differ on is I have a real tidy and smooth quick shift change from 1st to 2nd, could never do that on my 15 plate S1000r. I can go from first to 6th using QS on my XR however, I tend to stop at 3rd when coming down, Ive had a few rough changes from 3rd to 2nd with QS and never tried 2nd to 1st, clutch for smoothness there for me. Certainly the smoothest QS on a motorcycle I've used.
Just a thought, perhaps some of the early 15 plate XRs were not as refined regarding the QS like my 15 plate S1kr was. I know it only had upshift, but it needed a firm boot and a very positive throttle to get a smooth crisp shift on that S1kr.
\v/
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 07:49:46 PM by 1964Hall »
\v/ince

Offline Norbs

• XR Member
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2018, 08:03:29 PM »
It's not that my bike isn't smooth when shifting 1st/2nd. I just choose not to. Mine is a 2017 bike.

Offline Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2018, 09:25:54 PM »
2015 plate, and smooth up & down shifts with the QS, Although like others I Normally do not use it from 2nd to 1st.
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline bazzer

• XR Pro
  • Town: Waterlooville
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2018, 07:56:03 AM »
As someone else said the feeling you get at the clutch lever when releasing it is the slipper clutch. All my bikes with slipper clutches do it. So nothing to worry about.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2018, 08:01:06 AM »
Use mine as soon as i’ve Let the clutch out in first for those folks who have never read another thread on the QS i posted i’ve Had my QS stop working pull up ignition on/off it’ll reboot itself.

Offline bazzer

• XR Pro
  • Town: Waterlooville
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2018, 08:04:59 AM »
I had the QS stop working and I had to power cycle it a few times in the first year I had it, not had it for ages now. I wonder if there has been a firmware upgrade to the ECU when it was serviced and this has fixed it.

Offline Markymark11

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2017 XR SE
  • Town: Basingstoke
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2018, 09:26:36 AM »
Just bought mine and the dealer told me that correct chain tension is quite important for the smoothness of the quick shifter function. I have only ridden mine for a few hours but I find going up is fine in any gear but I prefer to use the clutch coming down from 3rd onwards as per others comments.

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2018, 11:00:18 AM »
*Originally Posted by Markymark11 [+]
Just bought mine and the dealer told me that correct chain tension is quite important for the smoothness of the quick shifter function. I have only ridden mine for a few hours but I find going up is fine in any gear but I prefer to use the clutch coming down from 3rd onwards as per others comments.

I find the opposite!  :087:

Upshifts produce a real 'kick', while downshifts (if on neutral or closed throttle) are seamless.  :187:

Unless I am on full throttle, trying to get past a whole line of traffic - I use the clutch on all upshifts.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2018, 11:42:30 AM »
*Originally Posted by Markymark11 [+]

That’s interesting about the chain tension not something i’d Thought about and i’ve Always ridden mine the same as you but it does have some days that are better than others with how it works.

dysfunctional