Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: headlight aim adjusters, pita!  (Read 494 times)

Offline 1964Hall

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000 XR 18
  • Town: Salisbury'ish
headlight aim adjusters, pita!
« on: November 16, 2018, 09:10:13 PM »
So a couple of nights ago I find myself riding the XR home in the dark for the first time. Now I bought this 7 month old bike with 4000 miles on it.
Dip beam, a shade to high with a few flsshes from oncoming as I head the 22 miles home. Main beam was pointing at the tops of the trees on the left. Either those 4k miles were all done in daylight or previous owner was oblivious to the issue. Now I'm a stickler for accurately adjusted light beamc both for safety of all road user and best light performance.
Well back home in my garage I look for the adjusters... Ah pants, what a dozy place to put them!
I found I had to unplug the pod power cable and use shortest 13mm open ender spanner (wrench for you usa riders) bit of trial and error with light shining out of garage on to neighbor opposite house and I'm ready for test ride next day. Nailed it 98% first time. Main beam spot on, dip a shade to low, maybe 1/2 a turn back.
Actually found the lights not too bad, certainly better than I had been expecting after reading some other comments.
\v/
\v/ince

Online Martin

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Sport SE
  • Town: West Berks
Re: headlight aim adjusters, pita!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 10:28:44 PM »
You’ve just reminded me of a job I have to do!

Within a few hours of picking my bike up brand new, I replaced the H7 bulbs with some uprated halogens. I noticed the near side bulb wasn’t square in the housing, but didn’t think anything of it when I put the replacement in and made sure it was fitted correctly.

Fast forward a couple of months and the nights are drawing in, so the ride home from bike night is going from daylight to dusk, then darkness.  Dipped beam was fine, but the first time I tried full beam all I did was dazzle any owls hanging out in the treetops!

Must get around to adjusting it while it’s tucked away for winter.

Offline 1964Hall

• XR Pro
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2018, 07:26:27 AM »
I think a thin 3mm wide pushbike type spanner bent at 45 degrees or so would make the job easier. I might 3d print one now I think about it.
\ /
\v/ince

Online Martin

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Sport SE
  • Town: West Berks
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2018, 10:36:09 AM »
If you do and you’d be willing to share the file, I have a friend that can print it for me  :028:

Offline 1964Hall

• XR Pro
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2018, 04:56:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by Martin [+]
If you do and you’d be willing to share the file, I have a friend that can print it for me  :028:
I'd probably print a few. Could share file or post one to you for postage cost. Will let you when I do them.
\v/
\v/ince

Online merlin

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Ilminster
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2018, 07:04:32 PM »
I can adjust mine by hand if I get access by removing the small black trim panels....

Offline Markymark11

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2017 XR SE
  • Town: Basingstoke
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2018, 07:13:23 PM »
Did mine by removing the 2 small panels as per the manual and using a 13mm socket on a 1/4 inch drive 5 minute job  :002: The dipped was far too high and the main was aiming at the sky. (I have drawn a line on the garage wall, I have always used for aiming - comes in useful)

Offline 1964Hall

• XR Pro
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2018, 07:26:25 PM »
Manual? It's in the manual! Crikey that's a first. Usually they want you to spend an hours worth of BMW labour.
Never even thought about looking in manual for info on light adjustment.
Thanks though.
\v/
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 07:30:18 PM by 1964Hall »
\v/ince

dysfunctional