Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Cobra Exhaust Power Loss on 2017+ XR  (Read 856 times)

Offline caister

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Tadley (Hants)
Cobra Exhaust Power Loss on 2017+ XR
« on: November 18, 2018, 06:20:56 PM »
I am also on the German XR forum and so that people are aware Cobra have found that their exhausts cause a 5-10hp loss of power on the latest version of the XR, 2017+. Apparently there is no issue for earlier models.

This only occurs with the DB killers in, to solve the issue they will send out a different design of DB killers for free to people who ordered directly from them. They are going to send me some after I contacted them today. Picture of new type below

A second fix for this that has been discussed on the German forum is to cut the original design of dB killer down to 50mm.

I hope that helps someone out.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 05:54:05 AM by caister »

Offline RBD914

• XR Member
Re: Cobra Exhaust Power Loss on 2017+ XR
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 09:07:53 PM »
I run with decibel killers out so no issues!

Offline Martin

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Sport SE
  • Town: West Berks
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2018, 11:53:11 PM »
I’ve never had the baffles in, but as I bought it direct from Cobra, I’ll ask for the new ones in case I ever want to use them.

Thanks for the post, great piece of info to share  :037:

Offline bazzer

• XR Pro
  • Town: Waterlooville
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 09:27:14 AM »
LOL, new DB killer does not look like many DB's need to worry about being killed :-)

Offline Belco100

• XR Member
  • Bike: XR SE Sport
  • Town: Essex
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 10:24:00 AM »
Has this been back on the Dyno and is definitely fixed by this? Can't believe it only affects Euro4 bikes, just looks really restrictive  :084:

Offline caister

• XR Member
  • Town: Tadley (Hants)
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 10:28:23 AM »
*Originally Posted by Belco100 [+]
Has this been back on the Dyno and is definitely fixed by this? Can't believe it only affects Euro4 bikes, just looks really restrictive  :084:

No I can't believe it only affects the euro 4s but that's what I've read, the german thread is pretty comprehensive they have even tested that the new dB killers meet their noise restrictions.

Offline Belco100

• XR Member
  • Bike: XR SE Sport
  • Town: Essex
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2018, 11:28:19 AM »
Cheers, I would love to have a look at this as I am after an exhaust over winter and this is one I am looking at - do you have a link?

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2018, 11:39:49 AM »
It’s interesting reading cuz I guess i’ve Been like everyone buy an aftermarket can and yes it’s fine,until I had my K1200 through one of those quirks I had 3 different cans on it and blimey the difference between the 3 was like chalk and cheese and while I currently have a MIVV on mine i’m Under no illusions it’s the best so i’d Be very wary of the above.

Offline Martin

• XR Pro
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2018, 01:38:43 PM »
Just heard back from Cobra, they will send me a pair, but only if I pay their shipping charges.... now waiting to hear how much I need to pay them to rectify a design fault with their product.

Offline Martin

• XR Pro
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2018, 02:32:23 PM »
Direct quote from Cobra "Changing the DB Killers is not necessary. We do not have to send new db killers, it is only a service to our customers."

Gonna cost me €20, which I'll do just so I have DB killers that don't sap any power.

I love the exhaust, but this, together with their surcharges for paying by anything except full payment in advance via bank transfer (3.5% for cards, 12% for PayPal) and the fact that they were late in delivering my order and were totally inflexible when I asked them to offer me an express service to deliver my late order (I would have paid extra) really doesn't make them a particularly customer focused supplier which I would be keen to recommend.