Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Are the electronics removing the tyre differences? Opinions..  (Read 868 times)

Offline MR-TiGGer

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: St. Helens
Are the electronics removing the tyre differences? Opinions..
« on: November 19, 2018, 01:00:33 PM »
Never been a fan of Bridgestone in the wet previously however picked up a 17 plate SE with brand new BS fitted and I really can’t fault them at all.

So I’m pondering if all the supernatural wizardry is removing any minor differences in *feel* between manufacturers?
I ride enthusiastically (cough) and had zero lack of trust with them, even scrubbing in on wet and damp roads they are flawless!

Saying this as a long time fan of Michelin and Metzeler🤔
Not personally qualified to confuse cats, but I can recommend an extremely good service.

Offline wessie

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 XR SE Sport
  • Town: Cheltenham
Re: Are the electronics removing the tyre differences? Opinions..
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 01:25:34 PM »
there are so many variables and our minds are fickle
we hit a patch of diesel on a roundabout, have 2mm of tyre movement and then we lose confidence in the tyres

same could happen with that overbanding stuff - especially in the Alps in summer when it is molten

we make a mistake and of course, want to blame tyres or some other component, not that we were going too fast for the conditions or used the wrong gear.

I did the same in the 90s with Michelin on a Honda VFR750 and then on a CBR600FX. The problem was more likely my lack of experience back then.

Of the top brands, if you look at their sport touring tyres, I do not think there is a bad tyre out there. In the last few years I have used Conti Road Attack, Avon Storm 2 and 3, Dunlop Sportmax 2, Metz Z8 and Michelin PR3 & 4 as well as the Bridgestones that came on my XR this year. I would use any of the above (or the latest version) in the future  and will probably select on availability and price. Most recently, that has been using the Avons.

Offline MR-TiGGer

• XR Member
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 01:30:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by wessie [+]
there are so many variables and our minds are fickle
we hit a patch of diesel on a roundabout, have 2mm of tyre movement and then we lose confidence in the tyres

I hear that, Pirelli and Continental tyres in the past have seriously shaken me more than once in damp conditions that’ll I doubt I’ll ever be able to use them again.
Not personally qualified to confuse cats, but I can recommend an extremely good service.

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 09:56:07 PM »
As mentioned ....most of the new tyres these days are very good, it just becomes a personal preference.

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 04:23:38 AM »
I think that the XR electronic suspension does a good job of making the cheap mechanical units - better.

(Even going as far as masking the crap shocks/fork cartridges)

BUT

I think high-quality conventional suspension units will keep the tyres in optimum contact with the road surface much more - and I feel that is going to improve the tyre ‘performance’ more.

Either solution will however make any tyres - work better, but to my mind - not to the same extent.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 04:24:34 AM by Mareng1 »

Offline Newy1000

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 05:07:21 AM »
I am in the opposite conundrum.

I ran all the previously mentioned sport touring tyres on my 14 Multistrada and agree there really isn’t a bad tyre out there these days. Its all personal preference and feel.

My problem is my runout 2017 XR came with Rosso 2’s and i have found them short lived but brilliant. Now the rear is close to shot and I need to decide if i go for another Rosso as i like them and take the low milage or if I fit a sports touring tyre for longevity and risk losing feel?

As I have only ridden my XR I don’t know if the confidence inspiring feel is the bike or the tyres!

First world problems....😂

Offline zbdmark

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Warwickshire
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2018, 11:09:51 PM »
I agree with Mareng1 as regards electronic suspension in that perfectly set up and top quality (aftermarket - not OE) manual suspension would probably be kindest on tyre life. However like most people I have ended up with an SE model with electronic suspension which in some situations I'm sure creates a little more wear than needed at times.
Avoiding depression is easy - ride your bike as often as possible

Offline MR-TiGGer

• XR Member
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2018, 09:35:31 AM »
*Originally Posted by Mareng1 [+]
I think that the XR electronic suspension does a good job of making the cheap mechanical units - better

You inferring the forks are somehow cheap units?
Everything I’ve read suggested the RR forks are excellent (in comparison with other mass produced sportsbikes) and why they are used across the range also on the R9T.
 The forks on my F800R were good but clearly designed on a budget

(Not criticism, just asking for reference)

dysfunctional