Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Demo Program Details - US  (Read 434 times)

Online Speedy

• XR Pro
  • Town: Atlanta
Demo Program Details - US
« on: November 28, 2018, 07:51:35 PM »
Does anyone here know the details of the US BMW Motorrad Demo Program?  I've heard several things from various sources, but I can't find anything with all the specifics.

The following is what I've been told by a couple of dealers:

1. Warranty is extended by 6 months and starts when put in demo service
2. Can't sell the bike until it hits 750 miles
3. Can't sell the bike until it hits 250 miles (I think this was a recent change in the program)
4. The sale includes the 600 mile service (does this still apply if it can now be sold after just 250 miles)
5. BMW provides the dealer a credit of 6% of MSRP on the sale (updated 12/1/18).
6. It looks like the BMWCCA 'rebate' can not be used on the purchase of a demo bike (updated 12/11/18) - doesn't make sense to me, but that's what I was told.

Can anyone provide a bit of clarity on this program?  TIA
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 01:27:04 PM by Speedy »
2018 BMW S1000XR Ocean Blue - Current
2015 Yamaha FZ-09 Matte Grey - Current
2012 Kawasaki Concours 1400 Black - Sold
2001 Honda CBR 929 - Sold

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Re: Demo Program Details - US
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 08:05:18 PM »
Phewww your question is a clear indication in the differences with our cultures  :002: the answer will be dealer specific and not the kind of thing that would be common knowledge to a normal customer.

I can think of one individual on the net who would be in possession of such info and even then highly unlikely he would make that public knowledge because he would be giving the inside info on the profit margin certainly from a European perspective.

Online Speedy

• XR Pro
  • Town: Atlanta
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 08:19:18 PM »
My understanding is that most demo buyers know there are some additional 'benefits' associated with buying a demo bike, but it seems that very few of the folks at the dealer actually either know what they are or have taken the time to understand them.  That said, this may be their way of not raising up their skirt too far so they can pocket some of the benefits themselves in the negotiation process, rather than pass them all along to the buyer....
2018 BMW S1000XR Ocean Blue - Current
2015 Yamaha FZ-09 Matte Grey - Current
2012 Kawasaki Concours 1400 Black - Sold
2001 Honda CBR 929 - Sold

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 08:33:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by Speedy [+]
That said, this may be their way of not raising up their skirt too far so they can pocket some of the benefits themselves in the negotiation process,

Exactly bit like asking Turkeys to vote for Christmas i’ve A close friend who owns a franchised bike dealership and even when I was working for head office I would not have been privy to that kind of info.

Plus much depends on if a dealership reached its sale target for that month things can vary greatly,I know the profit margin on my X/R when I bought it but that is no guarantee it was always going to be the same.

dysfunctional