Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Different front tyre.  (Read 1274 times)

Offline Lmorris2794

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Notts
Different front tyre.
« on: November 30, 2018, 08:02:45 PM »
Hi.
My 2016 XR had a brand new Bridgestone T30 evo on the rear when I brought the bike in June. The front tyre is also a T30 evo but this is now shot and will need replacing soon, I was going to fit a Metzeler Roadtech 01 to the front and the when the rear needs changing fit a Roadtech 01 to that.
Do people think this will be ok ?
I don't want to waste the almost brand new rear by fitting a full set of Metzlers now.
Thanks

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Town: Scotland
Re: Different front tyre.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 08:51:48 PM »
I wouldn’t worry about mixing

There are so many forces in play, that having a different tyre/profile on the front makes no odds

As you already recognise - the rear is fine, but the front is shot.   No issues with that combination, other than lack of tread.

You’d still get the same anomaly if you swapped like for like.

BUT - I have heard great things about the Bridgestone T31, from a friend who I give great credence to.

As far as I can glean - it is a very different tyre to the T30.

Offline Lmorris2794

• XR Member
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 09:04:28 PM »
Thanks I will have a look at the T31, never had Metzlers before but everything I read says it's a great tyre.

Online Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2018, 07:28:07 AM »
*Originally Posted by Lmorris2794 [+]

Do people think this will be ok ?

Not something i’d Do I have to say and i’d Be very surprised if any tyre outlet would get involved either you will have to take a loose wheel in so the buck stops at you.

Offline wessie

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 XR SE Sport
  • Town: Cheltenham
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2018, 03:14:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by Lmorris2794 [+]
Thanks I will have a look at the T31, never had Metzlers before but everything I read says it's a great tyre.

There is a risk that using a Metzeler with the Bridgestone you will end up with tyres that have different profiles which might affect handling.  On the other hand it might be okay. You never find out until riding for a bit.

My 2016 bike came with T31 when I bought it in July. I am very happy with them, so I would look at a T31 or T30 Evo replacement. Seems the tyres are designed for the same purpose i.e. sport touring. The Evo was new in 2015 and the T31 seems to start having reviews in early 2018. Therefore, the T31 is a contemporary of the Roadtec 01 which emerged in 2017 I believe. Mixing Bridgestone tyres on a bike is common e.g. a sticky BT01 front was often paired with a sport touring BT02 rear. Although, less necessary nowadays as the sport touring tyres are so good.

Offline Lmorris2794

• XR Member
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2018, 03:30:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by wessie [+]
There is a risk that using a Metzeler with the Bridgestone you will end up with tyres that have different profiles which might affect handling.  On the other hand it might be okay. You never find out until riding for a bit.

My 2016 bike came with T31 when I bought it in July. I am very happy with them, so I would look at a T31 or T30 Evo replacement. Seems the tyres are designed for the same purpose i.e. sport touring. The Evo was new in 2015 and the T31 seems to start having reviews in early 2018. Therefore, the T31 is a contemporary of the Roadtec 01 which emerged in 2017 I believe. Mixing Bridgestone tyres on a bike is common e.g. a sticky BT01 front was often paired with a sport touring BT02 rear. Although, less necessary nowadays as the sport touring tyres are so good.

Hi I understand what your saying but the front and rear tyres are different profiles as I understand it.

Offline 1964Hall

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000 XR 18
  • Town: Salisbury'ish
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2018, 06:14:11 PM »
Consider this.
Your front tyre is worn enough to need replacement.
That profile is now nothing like it was when new I suspect. So right now you have "mismatched" profiles.
Personally, I've run different makes when using up rubber. Never noticed any issue. Choice is yours as always of course.
\v/
\v/ince

Offline Lmorris2794

• XR Member
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2018, 08:21:18 PM »
Thanks guys I think I will give the Roadtech 01 a go.

Offline MR-TiGGer

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: St. Helens
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2018, 08:18:25 AM »
A £500 bandit that 10yrs old and a cheap commuter? Wouldn’t give a stuff about mixing tyres, why would you even care?

A race derived high end sportsbike that costs more than some cars? Why would you even consider messing about with tyre setups? Nothing is more critical to your wellbeing than tyres!

Lot of intelligent info out there as to why it’s ill advised to mixed tyre brands, recommend you check it out.
Not personally qualified to confuse cats, but I can recommend an extremely good service.

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2018, 09:44:51 AM »
There are lots of references online, but some of the reasons why you MUST have matching makes on front and rear - appear to be mostly just an elaboration/regurgitation of a notion from years/decades ago:

From “The Bike Insurer”:

When you buy shoes you buy a pair because:

A. You’d look a bit strange wearing two different ones.
B. They’d be difficult to walk in, especially if one was a high-heel and the other was a flip flop.
The same applies to riding, however there is less emphasis on appearance, as all black rubber looks pretty similar.
You should never mix tyre brands – always fit the same make on the front and rear. If you mix radial and crossply tyres, you will fail your MOT.
Not everyone sticks to this however you will notice a difference in grip ratios – the same make and model of tyre will have the same grip ratio making your bike easier to handle and ride.
Keep it simple, keep it the same

The reference to the shoes - is not relevant, I don’t think.   :187:

In talking about grip ratios - what is conveniently omitted is that unlike cars - the force on each tyre varies so much with where your body is on the bike.   So many variables, that matching or non-matching tyres are just more variables.

It also doesn’t recognise that the profile or level of grip on worn, matching tyres - alters significantly from new.   When my bike has a shot rear, and still an almost half-life in the front - my bike isn’t suddenly dangerous.    It has gradually reached that state over (say) 5,000miles.     Changing just the rear may not be ideal, but again - doesn’t automatically make the bike a disaster.

Watch MotoGP, WSB, BSB etc, and the bikes are going out with ultra soft front, medium rear and all variations inbetween. Sure they have complimenting profiles, but grip ratios - No.     

« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 09:45:25 AM by Mareng1 »

dysfunctional