Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Security, pin pins, heavy duty chains  (Read 646 times)

Offline georgerooke

• XR Junior
  • Town: London
Security, pin pins, heavy duty chains
« on: December 05, 2018, 09:18:26 PM »
I would appreciate some help please!! Some thieves attempted to steal my bike but luckliy were distracted and put off...but then came back at night... again shouted at.....  But I need to step up the security.  But my bike is at the dealer while i get that sorted, so can not check myself. 

Has anyone used pinch pins though a gap in the bike to allow for a heavy duty chain then attached to a ground anchor (to get the chain off the floor - as the thieves took an angle grinder to the chain and got through it!)?

If yes, what size of pin did you you use and length of chain?

Many thanks!

george
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 09:19:04 PM by georgerooke »

Offline Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
Re: Security, pin pins, heavy duty chains
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 08:49:44 AM »
Really do fill sorry for you. Living in London is a nightmare for bike owners, and without a place to lock up your bike. You are at risk. Cannot help you with your question, only that I use a ground anchor, with the chain looped through the rear wheel to keep it off of the ground.
Plus disk locks on the rear wheel. And I keep mine in a locked garage.
Maybe a shotgun would be the answer to these Wa***rs.
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline LAMBO281

• XR Pro
  • Live the dream and ride 247
  • Town: Berkshire UK
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 09:02:40 AM »
Yes mate, at least 2 heavy duty chains, disc locks, and cover with alarm set also. Soon as they see 15 locks on it they will go elsewhere as will take longer to cut, plus with it all in the news at the moment people should intervene etc  :305:

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 09:11:34 AM »
If they have battery angle-grinders and are afforded a short time - you have lost your bike.

The only hint you give that the bike is in a garage - is the word ‘floor’ - but who knows?

If outside I’d recommend PIR floodlights, CCTV and alarmed disc locks.

Fit a decent disc-lock to the chain - it should alarm as soon as someone interferes with the chain.

A low level ultra-high-power light shining at your bike  - but only triggered by the bike being moved. (Dont have PIR lights as well)  If it is bright enough - the thieves won’t even be able to see afterwards, allowing you to knock them about the head with a bat.
(Oh, yeah - you might need to buy a bat)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 09:12:25 AM by Mareng1 »

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 11:44:23 AM »
My/our recent experiences are already  documented on here without doubt the best security device i’ve Come across is an Arlo Pro hide the camera/s it will ping your phone within 3 seconds.

You will still need as many chains and locks as you can muster but even when we have been away we know exactly what is going on at home with an Arlo fitted and even if you ain’t there you can have a plan B to makes sure someone else is.

Offline 1964Hall

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000 XR 18
  • Town: Salisbury'ish
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 07:23:36 PM »
Do you have a tracker on her as well? I'vea couple of friends who have recovered their bikes because they had trackers on.
\v/
\v/ince

Offline Malc65

• XR Junior
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Essex
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 08:14:08 PM »
Look up securityforbikes.com firms called pragmasis they do some really good stuff I use there mini anti pinch pin with washer through the swingarm with 19mm chain attached to ground anchor

Offline Gazk

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000xr SE Sport
  • Town: Leicester
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2018, 12:48:07 PM »
Hey Malc65

great call on securityforbikes.com
After over thirty years behind the bars, I’ve still not done it all or seen it all.

https://www.youtube.com/user/emmanuelgoldstein1

Offline Malc65

• XR Junior
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Essex
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2018, 05:57:01 PM »
Thanks its not cheap but neither is my bike  its money well spent

Offline MR-TiGGer

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: St. Helens
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2018, 03:48:43 PM »
I have the Almax chain and Oxford groundforce anchor, claims the Almax is the hardest to cut through with a grinder and not possible with bolt cutters.

The real aspect though, take normal precautions because if they really really want it and you make it impossible then they might come in the house or wait for you to come out! This is the classic tactic in areas of Liverpool and merseyside around my area. And the reason I can't own an RS Focus, nor can a lot of folks who work at my place, not worth it.

So I personally think chain and anchor is enough, it's insured after all!
Not personally qualified to confuse cats, but I can recommend an extremely good service.

dysfunctional