Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Soften Suspension  (Read 1910 times)

Online Markymark11

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2017 XR SE
  • Town: Basingstoke
Soften Suspension
« on: December 12, 2018, 08:51:37 AM »
XR SE - Does anyone know of a company in the UK that can adjust the damping settings. I am finding Road setting a bit hard and wondered if by now someone somewhere is able to reprogram the parameters. Dynamic is fine for fast riding but when I just want to negotiate the great British pothole system at a meager pace, I find Road to still be a bit firm.  :002:
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 08:52:09 AM by Markymark11 »

Offline merlin

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Ilminster
Re: Soften Suspension
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 10:18:28 AM »
I'd think you'd want slightly softer springs rather than less damping, the bike moves around a bit already on Road setting. I'd like a damping setting between Road and Dynamic.

Offline Belco100

• XR Member
  • Bike: XR SE Sport
  • Town: Essex
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 12:52:58 PM »
Just out of curiosity, anyone got a non-ESA? How does that ride?

Offline 1964Hall

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000 XR 18
  • Town: Salisbury'ish
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2018, 03:45:33 PM »
Interesting, I find my 18 plate xr pretty much spot on for UK's poorer roads. Now I realise we are all different in our perspective here. My S1000r was way too firm for my 56 kilos (66ish kitted). But my XR, I like.
Now I did test ride a low chassis/low seat ex demo from Bahnstormers Alton and that was very harsh, bounced outta the seat on both settings and all modes.
So there maybe some differences between bikes Mark, is yours lowered?
\v/
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 03:46:17 PM by 1964Hall »
\v/ince

Online Markymark11

• XR Pro
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2018, 04:21:11 PM »
Hiya, no it's not lowered - just a normal SE - I just find the back end particularly, to be a bit hard when pottering along.

If I put it in Dynamic, get on the balls of my feet and go for it I don't notice it so much , but there are times at my old age  :008: when I just want to potter along or when the roads are a bit greasy and dodgy.  I guessed that if it was able to be softened it would be in the ECU settings or something ? (excuse my ignorance - first ever electric suspension bike)  I may just have to get used to it of course, or maybe get an HP seat, but wondered if there was a simple option of taking it to a re-programmer. :002:

Last 3 bikes were Vstrom 1000, Tiger 800, and Versys 1000 which all had manually adjustable compression and damping settings which I played with after setting the SAG but of course not able to with the BM. It's not a massive deal  - just wondered if there was an option.

Online Markymark11

• XR Pro
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2018, 04:26:44 PM »
There is of course the other possibility that mine has a dodgy rear shock - it only has 3000 on it but I bought it secondhand so who knows (it was a BMW dealer so I doubt if there are any problems) - I will run it to Barnstormers in Alton and maybe get it checked anyway - can't hurt to ask  :002:

Offline GeekDroid

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Coatesville PA
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2018, 04:59:42 PM »
Running in Rain Mode is a little softer than Road Mode.

When the roads get really bad I switch to Rain Mode!

Online Markymark11

• XR Pro
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2018, 05:01:42 PM »
Does "Rain" mode soften the suspension as well ? - I thought it put the ESA in Road mode ? - I haven't tried Rain mode yet...
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 05:02:27 PM by Markymark11 »

Offline SimonUK

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
  • Town: Upstate, SC
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2018, 05:21:43 PM »
Coming from the S1000R I am actually finding the suspension on the XR quite 'plush' and ride around most of the time with the suspension set on Dynamic.
AFAIK each of the riding modes(Rain/Road/Dynamic/DynamicPro) have slightly different suspension profiles, so Road(suspension) in Rain mode is softer than Road(suspension) in Road mode.

Offline merlin

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Ilminster
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2018, 05:24:57 PM »
From the owner's manual on Riding modes and ESA:
"The interplay of engine torque, throttle response, ABS control and ASC or DTC control is optimised for each of these 4 scenarios. With Dynamic ESA: the suspension's damping characteristic always initially returns to the basic setting whenever riding modes are changed. The ROAD and DYNAMIC variants can then
be selected".
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 05:25:56 PM by merlin »