Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Alpine roads  (Read 357 times)

Offline Jonnyboy

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000 XR
  • Town: SunnyScunny
Alpine roads
« on: December 15, 2018, 01:39:30 PM »
Planning to go to a place called Kappl in Austria in August 2019. The closest I have been to this area is the Black Forest region of Southern Germany, just wondering if anyone could tell me approx how close/accurate Google maps is when it comes to distance and times for that area. For example day 2 of my tour starts in France and ends 300 miles away in Kappl and Google Maps says that should take 8 hours, is that an accurate time?
TIA
Jon
Just because my path is different, it doesn't  mean I'm lost.

Online Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
Re: Alpine roads
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 03:44:03 PM »
Really depends on where you are starting from in France. Besancon is about 300mls from Kappl, and I would put that around 7hrs with stops ?. But that is just a guideline.
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Online wessie

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 XR SE Sport
  • Town: Cheltenham
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 06:29:44 PM »
Kappl is only 15km from the nearest exit on the Austrian autobahn. Therefore, if you take the google fastest route and keep to the speed limits the time will be pretty accurate.

If your route includes motorways in Switzerland and Austria then make sure you buy a Vignette (toll sticker). The Austrian one is cheap at around 5 euros for 10 days. Switzerlan has no option other than an annual one.

If you travel via Germany past Lake Constance then traffic can be very heavy, especially near Lindau.

Do not, under any circumstance let Google or your satnav take you near the B31 in Germany that runs from Freiburg to Lindau. It looks like an obvious alternative to the motorway but is horrendously overcrowded with traffic.

Personally, when travelling to Austria I go via Lille, Belgium, Luxembourg towards Saarbrucken (a good place to stop if setting off from Calais in the morning). Then head down towards Kempten to avoid Lake Constance. Cross over into Austria to get to Stanzach. No tolls on this route (unless you need a motorway sticker in Austria) and much cheaper fuel, food & accommodation through Lux & Germany.

Of course, you may have somewhere in France you need to be...

Offline Jonnyboy

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000 XR
  • Town: SunnyScunny
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2018, 01:33:21 PM »
We are stopping overnight in Bitche in France then heading down through the black forest toward Austria. I didnt realise that Kappl is only 15Km from the Austrian Autobahn, that should make things a bit easier.
Thanks Guys
Just because my path is different, it doesn't  mean I'm lost.

Online wessie

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 XR SE Sport
  • Town: Cheltenham
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2018, 04:29:07 PM »
*Originally Posted by Jonnyboy [+]
We are stopping overnight in Bitche in France then heading down through the black forest toward Austria. I didnt realise that Kappl is only 15Km from the Austrian Autobahn, that should make things a bit easier.
Thanks Guys

Bitche is right on the German border only 50km from Saarbrucken - I would still go via Luxembourg using one of the 2 routes here https://goo.gl/maps/GzNNytjdCk72 - I usually go via the Lille route as I hate the Brussels ring road.
Bitche is quite a nice little town with a huge fort built by Napoleon.

https://goo.gl/maps/GtUYgcoMMGt gives a route via Ulm in Germany of 462km/287 miles in 5h36m. That's not stopping so add at least an hour for fuel & food stops. 

Offline jackandthebear

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000xr Sport SE
  • Town: swindon
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2018, 07:01:41 AM »
*Originally Posted by wessie [+]
Bitche is right on the German border only 50km from Saarbrucken - I would still go via Luxembourg using one of the 2 routes here https://goo.gl/maps/GzNNytjdCk72 - I usually go via the Lille route as I hate the Brussels ring road.
Bitche is quite a nice little town with a huge fort built by Napoleon.

https://goo.gl/maps/GtUYgcoMMGt gives a route via Ulm in Germany of 462km/287 miles in 5h36m. That's not stopping so add at least an hour for fuel & food stops.

I would agree with Wessie I always go to Lux and 1st night around Serrig to the east which on day 2 starts you off in open country with a nice ride thru the Saarland to the Black Forest or Vosge Mnts if you come on the motorway via Lille to Mons you can cut the corner off and not travel to Namur and head thru the Ardennes which is open and quick