Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Dynamic v Dynamic Pro  (Read 1028 times)

Offline Newy1000

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
Dynamic v Dynamic Pro
« on: December 17, 2018, 02:42:52 AM »
Hi All,

I have read the user manual and done a search but what is the skinny on Dynamic v Dynamic Pro mode?

The manual seems to state the throttle map, and suspension(dynamic) is identical in both but the TC, ABS is less intrusive and wheelie control is turn off so any amount of front wheel lift is allowed in Dynamic Pro.

Is this the case or is the throttle map and damping altered as well?

They basically feel the same to me apart from more wheel lift out of corners bit I wondered if we have any definitive answer from BMW or otherwise?

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Town: Sydney.
Re: Dynamic v Dynamic Pro
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 08:02:16 AM »
I believe it's just the TC & ABS is not as agressive and the "Anti-wheelie" is turned off. I stand corrected though..😁😁
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline MR-TiGGer

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: St. Helens
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 10:55:20 AM »
Dynamic Pro = Track mode
So this mode allows us to manually remove all the electronics that stop you ending up in the car park at donnigton 😂
Pro mode itself doesn’t actually remove the aids itjust unlocks it all so to speak.
Not personally qualified to confuse cats, but I can recommend an extremely good service.

Offline Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 11:20:48 AM »
 :028: :028:
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline Newy1000

• XR Member
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 12:01:06 PM »
Smithy, i am thinking you are rightand the throttle and damping are identical and its just the later intervention of the TC and ABS Pro that is the difference between the two Dynamic modes.

The TC and ABS can be turned off in any mode but the coding plug allows you disable them and for it to remain off after the bike is turned off and restarted as opposed to defaulting back to factory settings for the selected mode on restart.

I am still surprised they didn’t do a third ‘comfort’ damping setting as the difference between road and dynamic isn’t night and day.

In my opinion it should have 3 modes, ‘comfort’ damping for rain and road modes. ‘Dynamic’ damping for Dynamic mode and a ‘Dynamic Pro’ damping for Dynamic Pro mode that would only be suitable for smooth track environments.

I basically put it in Dynamic damping and leave it as to me Road damping isn’t particularly an improvement to comfort over our shitty excuse for roads.

Manual adjustment of the electronic damping settings like Ducati and KTM and almost every other manufacturer allow is also an oversight and will hopefully be rectified once they update to the Camshift RR engine.

Just seems a waste to have such useful adjustability in an electronic suspension package and to only have 2 choices of firmness and no option for adjustability.

I know the BMW engineers/test riders know more about suspension setup than i ever will but it just seems a very Apple way of doing things and telling us what we need...

Flame away! 🤣

Offline MR-TiGGer

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: St. Helens
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2018, 12:14:40 PM »
The problem with near infinite setup possibilities is like have a thousand CDs in your car or two, all very well having a choice but you’ll never be entirely happy that you’ve exhausted the possibilities

I think their approach is spot on, they’ve done the thousands of hours and miles of testing, don’t think I’m cleverer than them so I’m good.

For me? Road for touring, Dynamic for playing and the bike is perfect.

See? No flames to put out😂
Not personally qualified to confuse cats, but I can recommend an extremely good service.

Offline Newy1000

• XR Member
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2018, 12:37:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by MR-TiGGer [+]
The problem with near infinite setup possibilities is like have a thousand CDs in your car or two, all very well having a choice but you’ll never be entirely happy that you’ve exhausted the possibilities

I think their approach is spot on, they’ve done the thousands of hours and miles of testing, don’t think I’m cleverer than them so I’m good.

For me? Road for touring, Dynamic for playing and the bike is perfect.

See? No flames to put out😂

I agree the settings work remarkably well for out of the box as seems to be the way with BMW and I am glad it works so well for you but to use your analogy, electronic adjustability is the motorcycle equivalent of the invention of the ipod and so you no longer need to carry around 1000 cds in your car to have access to all the goodies!

To me its like owning a shiny new ipod and only having 2 songs on it! 😉🤣

Still love this bike mind you and its a classic first world problem!

Offline Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2018, 01:52:33 PM »
Another of these its in your mind approaches. Over the years I spent many many pounds on various track day bike's suspension setup's. Only to finally realise that the difference that I thought it made, was more in my head than reality.
I personally cannot find any fault with this bikes suspension at all. In fact against every other bike that I have owned in recent years. Its excellent. No more faffing about with manual adjustments, Just push a button and hey presto I can change the set up.
And if I wont to change it, just press a button, and hey presto its changed. No more having to stop get off and faff about trying to guess what is best. No I let the system do what it was developed for. Take the guess work out of suspension setups. 
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline Newy1000

• XR Member
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2018, 08:14:40 PM »
The Sachs Skyhook and Ohlins semi active systems have factory settings per riding mode the same as the XR but allows further customisation of the settings if you wish.

I am sure plenty of people don’t bother and stick to the factory settings like you prefer to do.

The point is the option is there if you choose to use it.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 08:15:33 PM by Newy1000 »

Offline Newy1000

• XR Member
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2018, 08:22:59 PM »
Or if BMW are going to not allow access to damping settings then at least give us more than two damping options that have a wider spread between plush and sport.

dysfunctional