Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Odd Headlight Behaviour  (Read 3097 times)

Offline merlin

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Ilminster
Odd Headlight Behaviour
« on: December 21, 2018, 10:29:31 AM »
I've been running a HID dip headlight for a few weeks (and experimenting with HID main beam). With the lights running dip only I get a random flicker of the high beam with no input from me. When this happens the yellow fault warning light on the dash flickers at the same time. It can happen 3 or four times during my ride to/from work (17 miles) or not at all. Totally random timing, and does not tie in with any other electrical function, eg grip heaters, indicators or whatever. It looks like maybe a Canbus-related thing, possibly RF interference from the HID electronics. I've shielded all that stuff with copper foil, no difference. The lights came from HID50, Les has been great and sent two different ballasts to try, made no difference. The same issue is generated when I'm on high beam too, but this gives just the warning light, since the high bulb is already on.
Anyone else seen this, or something similar?

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Sydney.
Re: Odd Headlight Behaviour
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 06:58:37 AM »
Are the lights sold as canbus compatible..???

Smithy.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline jskene

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Baltimore, MD
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 02:15:42 PM »
This may be caused as a result of the light controller module testing the continuity of the high beam circuit. It periodically puts a short pulse of voltage on the high beam wire and measures the current. This might be enough to flash the high beam.
I wouldn't be surprised if some HID drivers have a current limiter in them to prevent high inrush current when they turn on. If the bike's computer measures the current only during this initial period it will see less current than a stock incandescent bulb draws and so flags a fault.
Try changing the high beam bulb back to the stock setup for a while and see if the faults stop happening. If so, you might want to change to a different type of HID driver or use an LED instead.
I've been running LEDs in both lamps for a while with no problem.

Online SimonUK

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
  • Town: Upstate, SC
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 02:31:43 PM »
I have 35w HIDs installed in both low and high beams (from HID50). No issues at all.

Offline merlin

• XR Pro
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2018, 11:42:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by jskene [+]
Try changing the high beam bulb back to the stock setup for a while and see if the faults stop happening. If so, you might want to change to a different type of HID driver or use an LED instead.
I'm running a halogen high beam at the moment and it's the same. Also running a different HID driver, still the same. I've looked at videos fof LEDs and they all have bad beam patterns and poor illumination, not as good as a good halgen. Plus they need cooling which means having an open back to the light - no good around here.

Offline jskene

• XR Member
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2018, 12:11:44 AM »
My LED lamps have a decent beam pattern. I haven't had a chance to take a photo yet, but the cutoff is pretty good.

A friend did a writeup of the install I did on his bike:

https://freetime.mikeconnelly.com/archives/6336

I have had zero problems with these, and have also connected them to my IQ-270-A high beam controller, so both bulbs are always lit, eliminating the "one eyed" look.

Offline merlin

• XR Pro
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2018, 11:52:33 PM »
Fanless LED might be OK. Jerry do you have a link for those bulbs, the seller does thousands? And for the flexible cover please?
Cheers.
Merry Christmas to all!

Offline merlin

• XR Pro
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 12:34:38 PM »
Have found bulbs the same on Amazon UK, and the covers.

Do you get much heat from the braided radiators? Just wondering about a tidy arrangement for them...

As another option, who makes the neatest brackets for fixing aux lights to the fairing?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 12:35:49 PM by merlin »

Offline jskene

• XR Member
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 04:22:02 PM »
After the lights had been on for some time I have felt the braids and they were quite warm, but not so hot that it would melt anything. When riding there is some airflow around the braids so the temperature would drop somewhat from what I felt.

I splayed the braids out on each side of the rear of the lamp as much as possible. This may not look as clean as a fan, but if you cover up a fan with a rubber boot the whole headlamp shell will get hot. With the braids the heat is rapidly dissipated into the outside air, and there are no moving parts to wear out.

Regarding your earlier question on which LEDs these were, there was no definitive part number on the packaging so you need to search through the seller's site to find the same model. Same with the rubber boots. There were generic 70mm boots. I cut a small round hole in the end of the boot so it could stretch around the end of the lamp.

Offline merlin

• XR Pro
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2019, 04:37:02 PM »
Thanks Jerry.
I found some similar lights on amazon UK, and the boots too (Tomall items).

Can you recommend mounting brackets for extra lights, should I go that route? Some rely on the bike having crash bars, but I don't really want those...

I never found the cause of the random high beam flashing, so I've given up on HID for the moment. Hopefully LEDs won't give any issues.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 04:38:34 PM by merlin »