Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Some heated grip info  (Read 1736 times)

Offline wascallyrabbit

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: King George, VA
Some heated grip info
« on: December 22, 2018, 10:44:44 PM »
For the last two winters my grips have worked well. Then last spring started having issues with them reducing heat. Took the bike in dealer said they couldn't get the bike to replicate the problem. Since it was spring and getting warm we didn't worry about it. Now it's getting cold out and need the grips they were failing quite regular and the dealer got to witness it. They took the bike in for a curiosity check. When they contacted cooperate about it they took them to run a diagnostic  test, the test simply senses current going to the grips so they said they were good. Problem here is the bike was now over 36k so the real question was who was going to pay for the man hours or parts. Short story is a call to cooperate and a flustered customer service agent open the door to getting it fixed.  Someone magically now knew how to test the grips. It was a resistance test. They didn't tell me the numbers but did tell me that they were way off. Then the dealer for their own knowledge test several different models both new and older and they all had pretty much the same resistance for the grips. So we are now waiting on new grips. So as of now I can not confirm that it was indeed the grips but hopefully soon. My grips in their failed state would only get up to 80-85 F on high with ambient in the high 30 low 40's. Previously the got much hotter just never took a temp reading. Didn't need high setting until it was like mid 20's or so.

Online SimonUK

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
  • Town: Upstate, SC
Re: Some heated grip info
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 11:28:23 PM »
Very interesting, keep us posted. I will check mine out tomorrow.

By cooperate do you mean corporate(BMW headquarters)??

Offline jskene

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Baltimore, MD
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 11:49:51 PM »
It would be useful to know what resistance values they got and what they were expecting. We could do our own check then.

Can you ask your dealer for these numbers?

Offline wascallyrabbit

• XR Member
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2018, 03:26:48 AM »
I will work on trying to get them to tell me or let me know the value we should be looking for and obliviously that the new grips fixed the problem. Being as its holiday season it'll be bit before everything is done.

Offline wascallyrabbit

• XR Member
Update
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2018, 03:31:18 AM »
New info. They replaced the grips with new ones and the new ones are hotter than the previous ones. Not sure if it fixes it yet but moving in the right direction anyways. Will have to ride in cold weather again to confirm the fix.

Measurement info: The grips on several different bikes measured 14-16 ohms. They even measured the 2019 XR with the 5.5 ohm grips and it was the same as the others. Mine where measured at 7 ohms.

Offline wascallyrabbit

• XR Member
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 04:40:51 PM »
The new grips worked.  At the shop when tested the bike was cold and the grips warmed up good so we thought all was good.  Then it got cold out again and they seemed to not work well again. So back to the shop it goes. This time I'm thinking it related to the charging system. The shop checks every thing but everything checks out perfectly. Expect the low voltage code. So they finally decide to open up the stator cover and do a actual visual inspection. Stator looks burned. So what was happening when the bike was cold it works fine but as the temp reached normal operating temps the out was dropping off. That explains why when starting out the grips are fine and then later the grips were not. Might also explain why I'm on my third battery.

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Sydney.
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2019, 08:42:30 PM »
Hmmm....this must be the first time we've seen a burnt stator..!? A rare occurrence for sure.

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2019, 10:28:39 PM »
*Originally Posted by smithy [+]
Hmmm....this must be the first time we've seen a burnt stator..!? A rare occurrence for sure.

Smithy.

Yep have to agree, very rare on modern engines. 
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Online SimonUK

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
  • Town: Upstate, SC
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2019, 01:02:14 PM »

Offline wascallyrabbit

• XR Member
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2019, 02:10:19 PM »
interesting read. I don't think its a mileage thing cause I've seen quite a few posts with people with higher mileage than my 42K miles. His seems like a sudden and total failure while mine seems to be failing only after the bike is up to normal operating temp. I guess if I kept riding it a total failure of the stator could happen.

dysfunctional