Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Should I buy one  (Read 1507 times)

Offline Danger 29

• XR Junior
  • Bike: KTM SD GT
  • Town: Maidstone
Should I buy one
« on: December 23, 2018, 11:55:34 AM »
HI all.
Had a Pikes Peak, changed for a KTM Super Duke GT. Not happy with it as it has a mapping glitch that occurs occasionally, which at slow speeds when turning is disconcerting.
Thinking about a change to an XR SE. I have read all the reports, but want to know how bad the vibes really are. ?? :084:

Offline wessie

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 XR SE Sport
  • Town: Cheltenham
Re: Should I buy one
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 12:41:30 PM »
there are lots of threads on this topic but there is very little consensus as each of us has different tolerance to vibrations based on past experience and expectations

the only thing to do is take a test ride on the bike you intend to buy, especially if a used bike.

my 2016 bike seems okay with some vibes in a small rev range. Easy to ride around this by riding in a lower gear to keep the revs up.

Offline jgk1459

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2016 XR SE
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2018, 12:51:43 PM »
Hi there, welcome.

I had the same concerns re: vibes. Test rode a few XR's and each one was different ranging from really bad around 4000 - 5000 and others barely noticeable.

I would say that the XR is not a super smooth, sit back and relax hyper touring machine - its a sports bike and as such you 'feel' whats its doing - personally I really like it.

Mine's a 16 plate with 10,000 miles and really wasn't too good when I got it - mirrors where unusable at mid rev range. I changed the bar ends which helped a little and also changed the bar riser rubbers .......but what really did the trick was removing the engine mounts, cleaning them and greasing before tightening to the correct torque.

I would love to take credit but can't!! This was the tech at Vines - he was looking for a knocking noise and did the engine bolts as a matter of course as BMW don't use anything thus are dry connections. He also made comment as to the torque settings out of the factory being 'variable' !!

I now have (almost) zero vibes, mirrors are clear and no numb fingers after a long trip.

My advice - test a few bikes as they can be very different. If you find one you like and it suffers - ask the dealer to sort as Vines did with mine.

Hope this helps a little and good luck with you search.

Cheers.

jgk

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2018, 01:09:58 PM »
https://www.s1000xr.uk/index.php/topic,2619.0.html

https://www.s1000xr.uk/index.php/topic,2316.0.html

https://www.s1000xr.uk/index.php/topic,1626.0.html

https://www.s1000xr.uk/index.php/topic,2306.0.html

If your GT has a fuelling glitch I'd say that's very unusual the one I borrowed was spot on and I've not seen a post about such on the KTM forums.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 01:12:37 PM by Winger »

Offline Danger 29

• XR Junior
  • Bike: KTM SD GT
  • Town: Maidstone
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2018, 02:57:00 PM »
Thanks for the info. The engine mounting torque may be the answer, but I would of thought that would have been the first thing BMW would have looked at when testing.
I,ll have a test ride on a 19 plater and see what I think. :084:

Online Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2018, 03:59:48 PM »
My 15 plate is no problem at all.
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline 1964Hall

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000 XR 18
  • Town: Salisbury'ish
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2018, 05:17:40 PM »
Fairly smooth 18 plate in my garage. Much fun.
Answer to OPs question. Yes, buy one! (but test ride one or two first. Revvy IL4 different then V2)
\v/
\v/ince

Offline otrp

• XR Master
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2018, 11:34:54 PM »
As I've stated in other threads, my 16 was purchased new. It vibed bad for about 1500 miles, then calmed down. By 2500-3000 miles, no vibes at all. Engine is very smooth. I did not add heavier bar ends, nor did I do the bar retro fit. Whatever the deal, it smooths out with miles, just like the veteran XR riders told me it would  before I  purchased.  Like stated by others, test ride and go for it. Vibes are not an issue.  If you really want this bike, don't let the so-called vibe issue stop you.  :002:
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 11:37:22 PM by otrp »

Offline Fumes

• XR Member
  • https://photos.s1000xr.uk/image/KMyV
  • Bike: S1000Xr SE Sport
  • Town: County Durham
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2018, 10:50:43 AM »
I agree with OTRP......best bike that I've ever had.......should you buy one....oh yes go for it....buy two !   :745:

Offline LAMBO281

• XR Pro
  • Live the dream and ride 247
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Berkshire UK
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2018, 11:42:40 AM »
*Originally Posted by Fumes [+]
I agree with OTRP......best bike that I've ever had.......should you buy one....oh yes go for it....buy two !   :745:

Again like others totally agree!
Vibes relax after some miles, stick bar end weights on which makes a massive difference and your good to go!
Best alround bike I’ve had!!!

dysfunctional