Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Torque Setting Top Engine Bolt  (Read 399 times)

Offline Markymark11

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2017 XR SE
  • Town: Basingstoke
Torque Setting Top Engine Bolt
« on: December 24, 2018, 08:07:33 AM »
I have fitted R&G Aero Crash bungs which attach at the top engine mounts. On the R&G literature it states do not tighten more than 40nm. As I understand it that bolt is 60nm according to my searches on here. Without going into a debate about crash bungs or crash bars and whether they are the right thing to fit ..does any one who has crash bungs know if it is OK to tighten them to 60nm. I have also read threads that say it is a good thing to go round and torque check all your engine bolts as it helps with the vibration issue - I have left them at 40nm at the moment without thread lock ...any thoughts ? :002:
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 08:08:25 AM by Markymark11 »

Offline Markymark11

• XR Pro
Re: Torque Setting Top Engine Bolt
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2018, 09:17:26 AM »
Edit - I sent an email to R&G and they very kindly replied very quickly -  their answer was as follows :      ??

Hi Mark,

The max torque setting for our bolt is 40nm as they are a soft grade metal

Kind Regards

Not sure that is a massive help -  I could apply thread lock which will add torque but who knows how much - or buy better bolts ...not really a very satisfactory answer hmmm. I decided to return them for a full refund as "not fit for purpose" and have ordered Evotech ones which state normal manufacturers torque settings.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 10:44:37 AM by Markymark11 »

Online Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2018, 01:15:22 PM »
I would have done exactly the same, and returned them. If the manual states that these engine mounts should be 60nm. Then it is for a reason. 
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Online otrp

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2018, 02:37:29 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bree [+]
I would have done exactly the same, and returned them. If the manual states that these engine mounts should be 60nm. Then it is for a reason.

+1.

Offline Markymark11

• XR Pro
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2018, 03:34:26 PM »
To be honest I was pretty unimpressed with R&G, they obviously don't check the manufacturers specifications for each bike, which must bring into question how many of their products are fitted to bikes everywhere with incorrect torque settings ?

Offline JTL

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: England
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2018, 09:30:33 AM »
Also, the S1000XR engine is used as stressed member part of the frame, I think.  So bolt strength and torque would be important.

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Sydney.
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2018, 09:26:41 PM »
*Originally Posted by JTL [+]
Also, the S1000XR engine is used as stressed member part of the frame, I think.  So bolt strength and torque would be important.

Quite correct.. :028:

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!