Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Low Suspension with HP Tall Seat  (Read 643 times)

Offline Speedy

• XR Pro
  • Town: Atlanta
Low Suspension with HP Tall Seat
« on: December 27, 2018, 08:52:10 PM »
Looking for input on this unusual combination:

I'm considering a low suspension 2018 XR from out of state (unfortunately there is not a low suspension bike at a dealer within 300 miles of me that I can try throwing a leg over).  The regular suspension/seat fits me pretty well, but I've found an interesting opportunity on a demo with the low suspension and I was curious if anyone had paired the tall HP seat with the factory low suspension?

I find I need more leg room and more padding than the regular seat offers, so perhaps this is a good solution.  By doing the math according to BMW, there should only be .6in difference in overall seat height between the reg suspension/reg seat bike and the low suspension/tall seat bike.  But I have read here that the tall seat seems to be mostly extra padding which obviously looses a high percentage of its extra height once you compress the extra padding they use to make it a tall (ie it's really more padding than a higher sitting seat pan).

FYI: I'm 5'11" with a 32" inseam.

Any constructive input is appreciated....

Thank you!
2018 BMW S1000XR Ocean Blue - Current
2015 Yamaha FZ-09 Matte Grey - Current
2012 Kawasaki Concours 1400 Black - Sold
2001 Honda CBR 929 - Sold

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Sydney.
Re: Low Suspension with HP Tall Seat
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 09:34:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by Speedy [+]
Looking for input on this unusual combination:

I'm considering a low suspension 2018 XR from out of state (unfortunately there is not a low suspension bike at a dealer within 300 miles of me that I can try throwing a leg over).  The regular suspension/seat fits me pretty well, but I've found an interesting opportunity on a demo with the low suspension and I was curious if anyone had paired the tall HP seat with the factory low suspension?

I find I need more leg room and more padding than the regular seat offers, so perhaps this is a good solution.  By doing the math according to BMW, there should only be .6in difference in overall seat height between the reg suspension/reg seat bike and the low suspension/tall seat bike.  But I have read here that the tall seat seems to be mostly extra padding which obviously looses a high percentage of its extra height once you compress the extra padding they use to make it a tall (ie it's really more padding than a higher sitting seat pan).

FYI: I'm 5'11" with a 32" inseam.

Any constructive input is appreciated....Thank you!

You can just get a normal suspension bike and fit a "Soupy's" lowering system and fit the high seat.....then adjust the Soupy's links to suit youself....I did this when I fitted a Corbin seat....they're about 1.5" taller than the standard seat and made the bike a tad tall for me @ 6' and 32" inseam....fitted and adjusted the Soupy's and dropped the front to suit...job done :028:

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Speedy

• XR Pro
  • Town: Atlanta
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 01:19:29 PM »
Thanks, Smithy.

But I'm focused on a particular low suspension bike and if anyone has experience with this combo of a low suspension bike with the HP Tall Seat.  Just trying to figure out if this option has worked for others and affords the additional leg room that the numbers imply while not making it too short for someone of my height/inseam.

Thanks
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 05:03:21 PM by Speedy »
2018 BMW S1000XR Ocean Blue - Current
2015 Yamaha FZ-09 Matte Grey - Current
2012 Kawasaki Concours 1400 Black - Sold
2001 Honda CBR 929 - Sold

Offline millview

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2018, 02:49:09 PM »
Thanks, Smithy.

But I'm focused on a particular low suspension bike and if anyone has experience with this combo of a low suspension bike with the HP Tall Seat.  Just trying to figure out if this option has worked for others and affords the additional leg room that the numbers imply while not making it too short for someone of my height/inseam.

Thanks

I have the lowered suspension with a standard seat, which is ideal for me.  I was not able to comfortably manage the standard suspension with standard seat and didn't fancy the 'skinny' seat for comfort.  Anyway, the lowered suspension model is identical other than the suspension, so I don't see there's an issue with leg room - it is what it is when you are sitting on the bike with feet on the pegs. 
S1000XR Sport SE

Offline smithy

• XR Master
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2018, 10:09:21 PM »
Thanks, Smithy.
Just trying to figure out if this option has worked for others and affords the additional leg room that the numbers imply while not making it too short for someone of my height/inseam.Thanks

Leg room won't change no matter what you do to the suspension.

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline merlin

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Ilminster
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2018, 11:38:02 PM »
I think he means between the seat and the pegs....

Offline smithy

• XR Master
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2018, 11:48:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by merlin [+]
I think he means between the seat and the pegs....

Fair enough.. :028:

Smithy.

Offline Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2018, 09:49:27 AM »
*Originally Posted by smithy [+]
Fair enough.. :028:

Smithy.

All that extreme heat must be clouding your thoughts............. :002: :002:
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline smithy

• XR Master
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2018, 10:00:04 AM »
*Originally Posted by Bree [+]

All that extreme heat must be clouding your thoughts............. :002: :002:

Aye....been 40+ here the last few days.... :034:

Smithy.

Offline Wonger

• XR Member
  • Bike: '18 S1000XR
  • Town: Fayetteville, GA
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2019, 06:46:30 PM »
I have a low suspension with a high seat. You're welcome to come down to Fayetteville and check it out! I think you still have my contact info.