Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: MRA Vario Screen - Advice Please..  (Read 2607 times)

Offline jgk1459

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2016 XR SE
MRA Vario Screen - Advice Please..
« on: December 29, 2018, 08:48:40 AM »
Hoping you clever lot can help me out a little...

I recent fitted the Vario screen to my XR as I find the buffeting irritating over 60mph. Got to say off the bat - not too impressed!

But the whole point is that it is adjusted to suit, so is there an 'XR' position that works best?

Fully appreciate we are all different sizes and wear different helmets but thought I'd ask if there's an easy win here.

Appreciate any guidance.

Cheers

Offline Markymark11

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2018 MotorSport
  • Town: Basingstoke
Re: MRA Vario Screen - Advice Please..
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2018, 09:04:49 AM »
I find mine is perfect -  I am 6ft and get no buffeting with an HJC helmet at 130+mph. I have it in the high position but then with the spoiler flat / horizontal  to the screen if you see what I mean. I changed because although the OEM screen has no buffeting and is actually quite good - it was noisy. The MRA cuts the noise by half.. IMO   good luck.

Online Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2018, 11:50:05 AM »
I have to agree with Markymark, I am 6ft and find the MRA screen works for me. I did experiment a little to get it as near to perfect that I could. I can only say just try it in many positions, I am certain you will find somewhere that suits your riding position.
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline jakebake

• XR Member
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: warwick
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2018, 02:15:07 PM »
As you know the screen on the xr only has 2 positions and no adjustments in-between. My solution is a bit “heath robinson” but  together with an MRA bespoke larger screen, it helped sort out the wind buffeting ( 6’1)
Just get a couple of aluminium bars off eBay and drill 6-7 holes matching the same spacing as the screen brackets and then you will have loads of extra  adjustments. MRA will make a screen up to 150mm longer and 100mm wider than standard large screen , dependant on what you tell them. It also helped placing a couple of rubber bung/washers in-between the aluminium bars to allow wind to travel under screen as well. If you want , use Emery cloth on the aluminium to give it a brushed look , either way once screen is you can’t really see the aluminium bars.Hopefully the photos have uploaded otherwise this probably wont make sense  :012: :012:

Offline MelbXR

• XR Member
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 09:06:43 PM »
I'm over 6ft and I am yet to find a screen that works for me.

Have tried the Vario, long since moved on...

Online Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2019, 11:05:17 PM »
Catch 22 with screens, it either works for you or not. If someone can come up with a screen that works for all. You will be very rich.
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline Troppo

• XR Pro
  • Bike: XR
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2019, 02:54:10 AM »
I am 5 10 in the old money, and I find the vario great.  As others have said, I run my wing parallel to the main screen for best results....

Online Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2019, 01:10:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by MelbXR [+]
I'm over 6ft and I am yet to find a screen that works for me.

Have tried the Vario, long since moved on...

I have to find a screen that works for us as opposed to me !!! The biggest variable is the helmet you wear,had our 955 Tiger 19 years worn Arai RX7/ RX7 Corsair/RX7 GP they all look but identical and yet on the Triumph range from the perfect to the  Horrendous.

Had my Arai lining replaced while at the NEC out on the bike Monday blimey what a difference.

What I notice on these threads is the lack info does your screen work 1up? 2 up? Do you use a tank bag along with which helmet all the above have a contribution .

Two up/tankbag/RX7GP Puig Sport is bang on.

Offline jgk1459

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2016 XR SE
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2019, 03:23:34 PM »
Thanks All.

After some more testing the MRA might not be for me. The buffeting is worse than the standard screen! Really uncomfortable at anything more than 50mph.

I'll give it one more go and if I can't get it to work for me then it'll be for sale.

Offline BigAl

• XR Member
  • Illegitimi non carborundum
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Braintree
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2019, 04:03:45 PM »
Hi all
just trying to add some more intelligent (ha ha) contribution to the debate. I tried the screen at the weekend solo rider, screen in the up position and the spoiler parallel to the screen, up to 90 fine. Helmet is an Aria Chaser X (new) so the lining is nice and tight (no earplugs) I also had the Arai external tinted visor in the up position. This should make it worse but didn't, nice and quiet and no buffeting. When I tried my Wunderlich Touring Screen it was great, nice and quiet but pig ugly and acted like a sail, it was also useless with the top box on.
I think someone said it already, what suits you is so hit and miss but the Vario screen is so multi positional you should experiment, sometimes down is better. 
I hope you manage to achieve the desired result as getting it just right is bliss. 

dysfunctional