Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New Bike and first 120 miles  (Read 1217 times)

Offline r100rsman

• XR Junior
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Olney Maryland
New Bike and first 120 miles
« on: December 30, 2018, 04:12:28 PM »
I picked up my left over 2016 S1000Xr (Red) yesterday and here are some random thoughts about my first 120 miles.   

The power is wonderful.  I have owned a couple of Multistrada's and this bike is more powerful for sure.  Have not tested the limits of the power so far as am still breaking in.

I like the clutch, transmission, suspention and brakes.

So far the bike handles better than i expected, track a spont on line and really inspires confidence. 

The ergo's are perfect for me and so far the whole package is very comfortable.

Now to the things i wish it had or could improve.

I knew going in the vibration could be an issue.  Mine vibrates and i have ordered new bar ends.  Stay tuned.

I wish the bike came with Tire Preasure monitors like my R1200Rt.  No big deal just nice to have.

I wish the display had out side tempature reading.  It may have it but I can't (as of yet) figure out how to turn it on.

Finally, the amount of features around "Track laps" is curious to me.  Are guys doing a lot of tract time on these bikes?  Just the random thoughts of a new owner.   More miles ahead.   :002:

Online otrp

• XR Master
Re: New Bike and first 120 miles
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 05:40:19 PM »
Welcome R100. Congrats.

Don't worry about the vibes. Put on the bar ends and watch the vibes go away, with a few thousand miles or so.

You can use the air intake temp to guage the ambient temperature, after a couple miles of running.

Ageed, TPM would be nice. BMW dropped the ball on that one.

Some riders do track, but I'd be more comfortable doing quarter mile runs. Just my thing.

Hope this helps, cheers.   :002:
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 05:41:34 PM by otrp »

Offline Markymark11

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2017 XR SE
  • Town: Basingstoke
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 05:47:25 PM »
Welcome along .. - press the "info" button to get "Air In" which as OTRP says will get you the outside temp, the bar ends (I have Evotech ones as many others do) will make a big difference to the vibes. Also check the torque on all your engine bolts - I read that on this forum so went round the whole bike and it does help reduce the vibes further.

Great choice of bike - you'll love it I'm sure, but give it a few hundred miles and it will get better and better as you get used to it :)

Offline Norbs

• XR Pro
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 08:29:29 PM »
You'll become less bothered by the vibes over time. They never disappear though. Grip puppies are another cheap option to try.

Online SimonUK

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
  • Town: Upstate, SC
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2018, 09:23:08 PM »
 :400: and congrats.

*Originally Posted by Markymark11 [+]
press the "info" button to get "Air In" which as OTRP says will get you the outside temp

Did this become available on the newer year models? I am pretty sure I cannot fond this on my '16.

Offline Norbs

• XR Pro
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2018, 09:27:59 PM »
It's on them all I think

Online otrp

• XR Master
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2018, 10:06:05 PM »
It's on all of them.

Online SimonUK

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
  • Town: Upstate, SC
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2018, 10:43:27 PM »
 :028: found it. Though I find it odd that it is a number all unto itself, on a screen that I do not find very intuitive! But, at least it is there.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 11:24:25 PM by SimonUK »

Offline Markymark11

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2017 XR SE
  • Town: Basingstoke
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2018, 11:03:31 PM »
I do agree with that ...I wondered what it was for a while till it dawned on me  :002:

Offline r100rsman

• XR Junior
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Olney Maryland
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2019, 11:49:40 PM »
Thanks everyone for the replies.  I had a chance to put another 90 miles on my new S1000XR and actually ride my 13 R1200RT in comparison.  So here are some more random thoughts.

S1000XR vs 13 R1200RT
First off they are two different bikes with common manufacturing traits.  The controls and functions are similar and familiar.  But that is about it.  The RT is like a lazy arm chair and the S is the power scooter.

I am comfortable riding the RT and it has 20 k miles so it's well sorted.  I rode them back to back on the same 18 mile familiar route and while the RT is comfortable, safe and well mannered the S1000RX is a beast and more demanding (at least for me right now) to ride. 

With the XR i find that i need to be, as a new owner, aware what gear I am in and is the next shift going to be shift assist for clutch.  While the RT is pure reflex.  While the RT, because of my familiarity, is a settled ride and with the XR I am still learning the motor and transmission so it demand more attention.

The XR motor is so much more powerful and torque that it's not fair to compare performance.  I am really enjoying the found power of the in-line 4.  I have been riding opposed and V-twin for years and the in-line 4 is amazing.

When i was going through the purchase process i considered many bike, with the Scrambler 1100 and Kawasaki Z900RS making the finals.  But i am sooo glad i test road the S1000XR and was able to find a left over 2016.  From my calculations it was only $1800 USD more than the Z900RS and it is just so much more. 
Looking forward to adding the bar ends and putting more miles on the XR