Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Canbus error  (Read 518 times)

Online Markymark11

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2017 XR SE
  • Town: Basingstoke
Canbus error
« on: December 31, 2018, 08:54:42 AM »
May be a silly question but I have never had a bike with CANbus before - I am going to play around with LED lights and side lights. If I get an error message - CANbus error - does it clear from the dash once I have fitted the correct bulb or do I have to keep going to the dealer to correct the error every time I choose a wrong product ? - Many thanks  :002:
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 08:55:13 AM by Markymark11 »

Offline Watshot

• XR Member
  • Bike: XR Sp SE
Re: Canbus error
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 10:45:50 AM »
You will get a Lamp error message relevant to the light you are changing, but it will clear once you have either found a bulb that works or fitted a resistor. Nothing I tried worked out of the box, despite manufacturers claims, and needed resistors or some type of control box. Couldn't even fit a different horn without it throwing a wobbly. It's weird how some bikes react differently to the same changes.

Either way, you're free to experiment without having to visit the rip off merchants..... :028:

Online Markymark11

• XR Pro
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 12:32:08 PM »
Cheers Watshot that's brill  :821:

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Sydney.
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 12:31:20 AM »
Even if the fault light goes out, the codes will still be present in the affected module memory, these can be cleared using a GS-911 or Motoscan.

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Online Markymark11

• XR Pro
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 07:32:34 AM »
OK cheers Smithy  :002:

Offline Watshot

• XR Member
  • Bike: XR Sp SE
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2019, 08:30:59 AM »
I didn’t get any stored codes for simple lamp errors. After all, it’s just a warning to tell you you have a bulb out.

That’s not to say it doesn’t happen. Like I said, different bikes appear to respond in a different way to certain CanBus issues.

I use Motoscan and had no stored lamp codes, but if Smithy’s experience differs then I guess you won’t know until you try it.  :002:

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Sydney.
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2019, 11:42:22 PM »
*Originally Posted by Watshot [+]
I didn’t get any stored codes for simple lamp errors. After all, it’s just a warning to tell you you have a bulb out.

That’s not to say it doesn’t happen. Like I said, different bikes appear to respond in a different way to certain CanBus issues.

I use Motoscan and had no stored lamp codes, but if Smithy’s experience differs then I guess you won’t know until you try it.  :002:

If the light on the dash is an actual "fault" it will store this in the module memory. I suspect a blown globe may not actually be fault as such and as Watshot mentioned, would not log a fault code, the dash light would then just be a warning. A GS-911 interrogation of each module will tell you for sure. When I removed my exhaust valve cables to fit headers, it logged a fault code in memory but no light on the dash.....go figure!! I can erase it, but it will return on the next ignition cycle.

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!