Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: XR Wins Again!  (Read 4486 times)

Offline clarryr

• Ex Member
  • XR Member
XR Wins Again!
« on: September 21, 2015, 04:52:14 PM »
The XR won Motorcycle.com's "2015 Ultimate Sports-Adventure-Touring Shootout".

http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/2015-ultimate-sports-adventure-touring-shootout

Offline fgdriver

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Red
  • Town: London
Re: XR Wins Again!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 05:59:05 PM »
Same with all the reviews remove the buzz and perfect road adventure with a bit of fire road.

Same as my Stumpjumper have a 29 will kill anything with a smaller wheel pound for pound but not as agile when the surface gets loose.  Funny my Stumpy is in red as well. :001:

S.
As Always Ride Safe.

Offline fasttrak

• XR Pro
  • Chasing sunsets at 90 MPH.
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR
  • Town: Morgan Hill
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 12:37:41 AM »
Pretty funny, watched both videos and figured, based on the neutral comments given and even the amount of time they even mentioned the XR that it would ever be tallied up in the top five let alone come out on top.

Offline grnmtvt

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Essex Junction
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 02:23:29 AM »
Thanks for posting this.  Of all the articles I've read so far this one whines the loudest about the vibration issue.  Have to say that after 2000 miles I don't have any problem with it.  Not sure if it's gotten better or if I've become less sensitive to it!    :003:
Many people ride.....but for a select group of people it's more than a ride....it's one of life's great passions.

Offline RichS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Surrey
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 08:21:25 AM »
*Originally Posted by grnmtvt [+]
Thanks for posting this.  Of all the articles I've read so far this one whines the loudest about the vibration issue.  Have to say that after 2000 miles I don't have any problem with it.  Not sure if it's gotten better or if I've become less sensitive to it!    :003:

It's almost as if all the other journos heard about the vibes, and have jumped on the bandwagon, and mention it at every opportunity. There were months of no mention, and now they're all on about them. Before I cured my vibes, I'd only notice them when actively thinking about them.

Offline johnboy1984

• XR Pro
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Belfast
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 10:07:51 AM »
How did you cure them Rich?... to be honest it doesnt bother me at all, obviously if there was a way of getting rid I would do it... I ride my bike round tight, twisty country roads in the north of Ireland. This is where this bike makes the most sense, particularly the quickshifter... It truly is awesome, every ride gets better and better. Id say on a long motorway journey it may get annoying, but I would never ride long motorways, it would bore the tits off me. My dealer mentioned someone has ordered something from the states to replace the current rubber spacers on the bar clamps (a honeycombe shaped material), and has machined his own bar ends... 

Offline clarryr

• Ex Member
  • XR Member
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2015, 03:55:25 PM »
Yes, it really bugs me that news media think they need to be "fair and balanced" by harping on everything wrong with the leader and singing the praises of the lesser contenders.  They do it for motorcycles, cars, sports teams, politicians, etc.  How about being fair to the best?  Sure, tell us about it's faults, but also let us know why it won and the others lost.

Offline RichS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Surrey
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2015, 06:03:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by johnboy1984 [+]
How did you cure them Rich?... to be honest it doesnt bother me at all, obviously if there was a way of getting rid I would do it... I ride my bike round tight, twisty country roads in the north of Ireland. This is where this bike makes the most sense, particularly the quickshifter... It truly is awesome, every ride gets better and better. Id say on a long motorway journey it may get annoying, but I would never ride long motorways, it would bore the tits off me. My dealer mentioned someone has ordered something from the states to replace the current rubber spacers on the bar clamps (a honeycombe shaped material), and has machined his own bar ends...

I fitted the R&G crash bungs, and the vibes seem to have disappeared now!

Offline fasttrak

• XR Pro
  • Chasing sunsets at 90 MPH.
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR
  • Town: Morgan Hill
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2015, 11:28:13 PM »
Just watching the videos and not going by a category-by-category scoring system, you would of thought a bike with less than 100 HP might actually win a Sport-Touring competition.. They talked endlessly about the Suzuki and the Kawasaki and they just do not rank in the same category when the word "Sport" is being used. Thankfully, they had to sit down and rate each bikes on individual merits and the XR scores the highest, not surprised at all.