Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Front wheel diskbrake lock  (Read 1306 times)

Offline Dinky

• XR Member
Front wheel diskbrake lock
« on: January 03, 2019, 07:29:00 PM »
The disk lock I used on my previous bikes doesnt work on the XR.
Curious what you guys use as diskbrake lock, im looking for something that I can take under the seat.

Online Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
Re: Front wheel diskbrake lock
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 08:37:47 PM »
This is mine,   XENA XZZ6.  Sportsbike Shop,  £29.99  fits front and rear brake disc... Plus loud alarm,.,.
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline jakebake

• XR Member
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: warwick
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 08:49:42 AM »
this abus mini disc lock has a good rating and is just long enough to actually fit through the inner part of the disc and attach to one of the alloy spokes , rather than just the disc making it difficult ( hopefully) for someone to actually put and angle to the lock or spoke . Also the normal easy option of the low life cutting the disc with a grinder would be useless

https://www.infinitymotorcycles.com/product/abus-granit-quick-3760-mini-disc-lock-53x11mm?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyrLQ2d3T3wIVQ7DtCh2rOgtKEAQYAiABEgKN4_D_BwE

Offline Dinky

• XR Member
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 01:08:50 PM »
Thanks guys, the Xena lock is not approved by my insurance. The Abus mini lock is and its looks very nice. I will see if I can find it somewhere in the shops and I will also look for the Abus deteco with the alarm and the Sledge 77.

https://www.abus.com/uk/Mobile-Security/Motorbike-Scooter/Brake-disc-locks/GRANIT-Detecto-XPlus-8077
https://www.abus.com/uk/Mobile-Security/Motorbike-Scooter/Brake-disc-locks/GRANIT-Sledg-77

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 06:04:49 PM »
I probably repeat myself - but, I am a big fan of top-quality ALARMED disc-locks.

Honestly - you only have to touch them, and they screech like hell.

So, a mechanical and an alarm deterrent in one.

I seriously doubt if you are going to set off with it still fitted either - a common error with straight locks.

Offline Dinky

• XR Member
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2019, 07:11:57 PM »
My number one choice is the Abus 8077 with the alarm. I need to see and try it in real life and I will share the outcome  :001:

Offline Mally

• XR Member
  • Town: Nr Milton Keynes
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2019, 09:12:58 PM »
I have the Granit Sledge
https://www.abus.com/uk/Mobile-Security/Motorbike-Scooter/Brake-disc-locks/GRANIT-Sledg-77
Not cheap but neither is your bike. It must be at least a visible deterrent.
Dont be too concerned about what is approved by your insurance company. If you have informed them of what your extra security is, they could make it a condition of your policy that you must always have the security active on the bike otherwise it can affect your policy. Whereas if you don't tell them and just use extra security anyway, they can't use it as an excuse to get out of a payout.

hope that helps

Mally

Offline Dinky

• XR Member
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2019, 10:00:47 PM »
Thanks for your input Mally.
Im not concerned about the insurance, but I do need to own an approved lock incase the bike gets stolen.
All insurance companies in The Netherlands tell you to use a specific categorie lock based on the price of the bike. Its all in the small letters in the contract.
I like your lock also, its compact and the rubber coating is also nice to not damage the wheel.

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2019, 08:31:08 AM »
Even though you think you have detailed by phone with your insurance broker - exactly what the security items you have on your bike - check your policy very carefully when you get it.  I have had an ‘addition’ stipulated - that I must have the bikes secured to ground anchors, in the locked garage.      Never intimated prior to taking the policy.  Told them to poke it.

Your policy ‘may’ state that  cover is excluded if:  “there is not a secondary security device employed, in addition to the motorcycle’s ignition and steering lock.  Examples include D-Lock, disc lock, padlock and chain, immobiliser or another similar device”.

So - AT ALL TIMES - if you don’t have factory or aftermarket (approved) immobiliser - you will require a disc-lock minimum every time you park up - to satisfy the policy in event of theft.  [if you have such a condition in your policy]

Worth a check.

Offline Dinky

• XR Member
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2019, 06:59:51 PM »
I recently compared 4 different insurance companies for my new bike and for some reason they all seem to have the same theft prevention policy. You don’t share what you have for locks and alarm. The insurance will give their advice and requirements.

My policy is actually pretty clear.
“Between 23.00 and 7.00 the motor should preferably be in a closed room. In the confined space, the bike must be locked with an ART category 4 approved lock.
If it is not possible to store in a closed room, the bike should be locked with an ART category 4 approved chain or bracket lock have been directly attached to an ART approved wall anchor or ground anchor, or to a ground and / or fixed object.
For example, a visit (not in the immediate vicinity of the home address) or holiday is not at the home address, it is allowed to the motor only by means of an ART category 4 approved lock.
If not to the above-mentioned preventive measures have been met, there is no right to compensation.
Via the website www.stichtingart.nl you can check whether your lock meets the current requirements”

ps. the Art thing is something typically Dutch I think