Poll

How much money do you spend in Total on Securing your S1000XR ?

Zero
4 (25%)
0-100 £/$
4 (25%)
101-200 £/$
5 (31.3%)
201-500 £/$
2 (12.5%)
Greater than 500
1 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: January 11, 2019, 07:53:34 AM

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: How much do you spend on Motorbike Security ?  (Read 623 times)

Offline jackandthebear

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000xr Sport SE
  • Town: swindon
How much do you spend on Motorbike Security ?
« on: January 04, 2019, 07:53:34 AM »
How much money do you spend on actual security for the S1000XR ? Disk locks, chains, Alarms, trackers , ground anchors or do you just let the insurance and fate decide ?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 07:54:39 AM by jackandthebear »

Offline Dinky

• XR Member
Re: How much do you spend on Motorbike Security ?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 01:36:13 PM »
Not more than needed, as long its functional and its approved by the insurance companies in Holland.
Im using 2 different locks for years on all my bikes. One chain and one Abus diskbrake lock, the diskbrake lock I always take with me. The cost about 200 euro together in the past I guess.
For the XR I need a new diskbrake lock, the new one costs about 140 which has a alarm included. Its not that I need the alarm but its nice to not forget the lock when driving away  :001:
The BMW alarm was included on my new XR, this was already installed so I had no option to not take it. I don't think I would have taken it if I had to select it manually because its not approved as "real" alarm in The Netherlands and I find it stupid that it arms automaticly and that no remote is included to enable it like the GS.

Offline wessie

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 XR SE Sport
  • Town: Cheltenham
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 10:17:33 PM »
I spent £138,750 in 2014 for a 2 bedroom house with integral garage after renting a house where the bike was parked outside.

The garage cost about £40,000 over a 2 bedroom house as you pay a hefty levy for the extra land as well as the garage itself.

The advantage is that unlike my bike, my security has increased in value by 30%.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 10:52:41 PM »
I’ve had two bikes stolen both I put down to my fault!! Rectified the situation and haven’t made the same mistakes again ranging from never leaving a bike on the drive outside my house to leaving a bike parked up not Insight.

The only exception to that is when staying at an Ibis without a garage it’s parked right next to the front door.

It’s already been said if someone wants to steal your bike they will assuming they have noticed it!!! Trackers are for insurance companies if I have a bike stolen I certainly don’t want it back.

God knows how many disc locks I have half a dozen at least including a new u’n with my ticket for NEC although at a cost,but just carry a good quality padlock that goes through the holes in the disc just stops some scum bag pushing it away.

And a house like Fortknox.

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2019, 07:28:14 AM »
I have a ex-police pal, who still stays in constant touch with all his ex-colleagues.

Reckons that in the Midlands - the thieves are now using scanners for your ‘keyless’ codes.  But the worrying aspect is - that if your wi-fi router range covers the entire house (as a measure of wall signal-permeability) - then no matter where in the house your keys are stored - -  they can be scanned through your letterbox.

Only way to prevent this - is to store your keys in a “Faraday Cage”. (A tin box will do)

“Keyless ignition”. What a great advancement to security!  :084:

Online Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2019, 10:53:30 AM »
*Originally Posted by wessie [+]
I spent £138,750 in 2014 for a 2 bedroom house with integral garage after renting a house where the bike was parked outside.

The garage cost about £40,000 over a 2 bedroom house as you pay a hefty levy for the extra land as well as the garage itself.

The advantage is that unlike my bike, my security has increased in value by 30%.

Where I live, in 2014 it would have cost that just for the Garage.. :001: :001: :001:
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline wessie

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 XR SE Sport
  • Town: Cheltenham
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2019, 03:29:39 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bree [+]

Where I live, in 2014 it would have cost that just for the Garage.. :001: :001: :001:

everyone assumes I live somewhere posh when I mention I live in Cheltenham...

dysfunctional