Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Don’t like my XR handling  (Read 3740 times)

Offline Belco100

• XR Member
  • Bike: XR SE Sport
  • Town: Essex
Don’t like my XR handling
« on: January 05, 2019, 10:16:48 PM »
I know these things are supposed to be good, but mine just doesn’t feel great. I don’t gel with the suspension, it doesn’t steer like I would like or turn in particularly well, and you need to put a lot of pressure on the inside bar to hold a line.

Anyone else feel like this, or any ideas what’s wrong. Test rode a GS today and that was much better!

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
Re: Don’t like my XR handling
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 12:07:44 AM »
Sounds very strange, mine is brill and the good handling was one of the reasons I bought it.....how old is your bike..?? Which suspension mode are you in when it feels wrong..?? Which tyres..?? Pressures..?? I wonder if something is amiss with the DESA....Have you had a GS-911 on it to interrogate the system.

Another thought...check to see if the little swingarm travel sensor connector rod is still attached, I found mine had popped off after a particularly rough day on the road.

Smithy. 
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 12:16:59 AM by smithy »
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Online wessie

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 XR SE Sport
  • Town: Cheltenham
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 12:51:20 AM »
Have you had the bike from new or have you bought ii used? Has it always been like this? For how many miles?

If you have not had the bike long, what was your last bike? It may take a little while to accustom if not long.

For used bikes, the most likely thing to affect handling is a tyre problem. It is a relatively cheap fix if you are uncertain about the provenance of a used bike. It also gives you a base line to work from if new tyres does not fix the apparent difficulty. A set of Avon Storm 3D XM should be under £200 or closer to £300 for Michelin, Metzeler, Pirelli or Bridgestone.

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 03:25:41 AM »
As above - but check your front tyre specifically for profile (if it has done a couple of thousand miles).

Offline Bree

• XR God
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 09:50:13 AM »
Your description is very strange, as the XR is one of the best handling bikes straight out of the box. You do not explain why you can not gel with the suspension ?. As others have said there can be various reasons why the handling may have issues, before giving up on the bike, look into those things that have been highlighted. If it was me, I would be intrigued to know why such an excellent handling bike for others, was not working for me... Please keep us informed.....
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 09:52:14 AM by Bree »
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline eljay998

• XR Member
  • From R to XR....
  • Bike: S1000XR sport SE
  • Town: hockley
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2019, 10:00:35 AM »
*Originally Posted by Belco100 [+]
I know these things are supposed to be good, but mine just doesn’t feel great. I don’t gel with the suspension, it doesn’t steer like I would like or turn in particularly well, and you need to put a lot of pressure on the inside bar to hold a line.

Anyone else feel like this, or any ideas what’s wrong. Test rode a GS today and that was much better!

Hiya, have you asked one of the guys at Reiten to try their demo?  Might give you a baseline to work from, or indicate if the XR is just not for you?
Mind you, you've had it a while now haven't you?

Lee.
S1000XR sport SE

Offline wilbert

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2018 XR Sport SE
  • Town: Lancashire
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2019, 10:13:03 AM »
I've done 4500 miles on mine now since buying new in May and I still haven't fully gelled with it. Was I expecting too much? I can relate to what you say when the suspension is in road mode as it can feel a little vague and wallow when pushed but in dynamic it feels far more planted and holds a line much better. Everyone tells me how well they handle and how fast they are. What I don't know is what they are comparing them to? Handling is alright but not great but its very comfy and its quick ish but not fast and certainly not a fire breathing beast.

Offline Bree

• XR God
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2019, 10:42:49 AM »
You must be running on three cylinders.!  And what would you consider to be fast ?.  There will always be something faster and better handling. But the Xr is not an out and out sports bike, so you should never expect sports bike Handling or top end speed. But everything in between is way above average. Then of course as the old saying goes. You can please some of the people some of the time, But not all of the people all of the time..
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 10:53:41 AM by Bree »
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline eljay998

• XR Member
  • From R to XR....
  • Bike: S1000XR sport SE
  • Town: hockley
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2019, 10:45:19 AM »
*Originally Posted by Bree [+]
You must be running on three cylinders.

:0461:
S1000XR sport SE

Offline wilbert

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2018 XR Sport SE
  • Town: Lancashire
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2019, 10:50:44 AM »
Well the demo bike and another one I've ridden must all be running on 3 cylinders then. The bottom end is good but the top end just feels like its lacking a bit and that it could give so much more like the RR does.