Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Beeline? Anyone?  (Read 2212 times)

Offline Low-Brau

• XR Pro
  • Teutonic RocketNaut
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Saint Paul
Re: Beeline? Anyone?
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2019, 01:26:51 PM »
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]
Came yesterday works great how it fits and if it stays on when it’s raining could be interesting but will be a useful aid when my map reading is off  :084:

Really?

I thought they were still waiting to begin shipping!

Pictures and reviews please!
-Erik

"...but the XR is a sports bike on stilts!"
  -- zbdmark

Online Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2019, 02:49:08 PM »
 Just put on the bar  for now but as I normally ride with a tank bag it will go else where in the end.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 03:04:03 PM by Winger »

Online Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2019, 11:21:19 AM »
Having looked at the bumf and read about its uses, I am still struggling to get my head around its benefits over a sat -nav. Apart from the cost that is. Yes I can see its an absolute gem if you are on a bicycle, no need for a power feed, and just the basic information that you need.
I do like to use all of the available information on the sat-nav, and the on screen map, helps me choose other routes in the vicinity of where I am, just by a quick glance at the screen.
I am not knocking this device as it looks a clever bit of kit. But yet to be convinced of its value in actual use......
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline FieldSanitation

• XR Member
  • Bike: K1200s
  • Town: Reston,VA
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2019, 12:57:23 PM »
so the ORIGINAL BEELINE is available... it's made for bicycles. 

The motorcycle one should still be pre-shipment... they just finished up most of the mounting options according to the updates.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ridebeeline/beeline-moto-smart-navigation-for-motorcycles-made/posts/2429830?ref=ksr_email_backer_project_update_registered_users

Update #14 
Feb 27 2019
Wanted: beta testers! And a sneak peek at the carry case
Posted by Mark Jenner & Tom Putnam (Creator)

Hi backers,
All pistons are firing here at Beeline HQ and we thought that we should get in touch with a little update!

Beta testing
Beeline Moto testing is going well! We will be conducting some final beta tests over the next few weeks and would love to get some of you involved.
The criteria are quite specific - to allow us to get the most out of the testing period - but, if you can answer 'yes' to all of these questions, please get in touch with Kate (kate@beeline.co) as soon as possible.
- do you live in the UK, France or Germany?
- do you have an iPhone?
- do you ride most days?
- do you have any bar space on your bike to put a Beeline Moto with a Universal Elastic Strap Mount (bars would need to be 20-36mm)?
- are you around over the next few weeks? And would you be able to give weekly feedback on new things that we ask you to test? 
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 12:59:38 PM by FieldSanitation »

Online Bree

• XR God
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2019, 01:13:35 PM »
*Originally Posted by Low-Brau [+]
Really?

I thought they were still waiting to begin shipping!

Pictures and reviews please!

Low-Brau
Appears you are correct, the Motorcycle ones are not on the market yet ( due out this summer ). So I am assuming the one that Winger bought off of Amazon is made for Bicycles. Maybe it will work, but I ask myself why they are building one directly for Motorcycles.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 06:16:11 PM by Bree »

Offline FieldSanitation

• XR Member
  • Bike: K1200s
  • Town: Reston,VA
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2019, 02:53:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bree [+]

Low-Brau
Appears you are correct, the Motorcycle ones are not on the market yet ( due out this summer ). So I am assuming the one that Winger bought of of Amazon is made for Bicycles. Maybe it will work, but I ask myself why they are building one directly for Motorcycles.

more vibration, harsher environmentals probably... better integration software with phones or something?

Offline Low-Brau

• XR Pro
  • Teutonic RocketNaut
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2019, 03:34:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bree [+]
Having looked at the bumf and read about its uses, I am still struggling to get my head around its benefits over a sat -nav. Apart from the cost that is. Yes I can see its an absolute gem if you are on a bicycle, no need for a power feed, and just the basic information that you need.
I do like to use all of the available information on the sat-nav, and the on screen map, helps me choose other routes in the vicinity of where I am, just by a quick glance at the screen.
I am not knocking this device as it looks a clever bit of kit. But yet to be convinced of its value in actual use......

Here’s my rationale for the BeeLine having benefits over Garmin:

1. Simplicity.  Takes Data from your phone and only gives you what you need.  Running a touchscreen to find a gas station instead of LOOKING for one while driving is dangerous.

2. Weatherproof.  GARMIN NAV is not.

3. Cheaper.  About 1/5 the price of the NAV.

4. MAPS are ALWAYS up to date on your cellphone.  No need to plug in your nav device, upgrade maps,   Garmin’s map data base is HUGE and often wrong.  Apple and Android and Google are always current.

That said, there aren’t as many whistles and bells on the BeeLine.  You can’t integrate with your phone and iPod.  You don’t get a God’s Eye view of your surrounding turf.  No weather information or maps.  No ability to integrate with BMW’s system information on how many times you pressed the brake and pulled the clutch.
-Erik

-- zbdmark

Online Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2019, 04:44:37 PM »
Fascinating!! Used it today ignored the directions!! When I got home ended the route and it showed where we had been instead!! having travelled Europe with a map and a decent sense of direction for the last 47 years it’ll do as back up and something you can just take off the bike and put in your pocket it’s that small.

Offline Low-Brau

• XR Pro
  • Teutonic RocketNaut
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2019, 05:53:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]
Fascinating!! Used it today ignored the directions!! When I got home ended the route and it showed where we had been instead!! having travelled Europe with a map and a decent sense of direction for the last 47 years it’ll do as back up and something you can just take off the bike and put in your pocket it’s that small.

Another advantage:

It fits in your pocket. Garmin doesn’t.
-Erik

-- zbdmark

Online Bree

• XR God
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2019, 06:25:22 PM »
Yes it has its advantages maybe. But just not for me I do like to see a real world map in front of me. And if you still have to have a phone to use the device, then I will stick with the sat-nav ( plus my paper back up maps ).