Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Mobile Site - Feedback wanted  (Read 4856 times)

Offline Forum Admin

• XR Administrator
  • XR Member
Mobile Site - Feedback wanted
« on: September 23, 2015, 10:13:23 AM »
Just wondered if anyone has been using the mobile version of the forum ? It should kick in if you access the forum on a tablet/phone but you have the option of reverting to the main site if you wish.

If anyone has been using it then we'd appreciate it if you could give some feedback  :028:

Also if anyone has experience of Tapatalk then a comparison would be helpful (which do you like most and why etc.)

Please mention what device you have so we have an idea of what people use.

All feedback would be really helpful - cheers  :821:

Offline fgdriver

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Red
  • Town: London
Re: Mobile Site - Feedback wanted
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 11:25:20 AM »
Mobile site is ok but on the modern smartphones it does look dated.  I use iPhone6 Plus and the Samsung S6 Edge Plus.  Usually revert to the normal desktop site as it is easier to add emoticons.

S.

Don't use tapatalk
As Always Ride Safe.

Offline Redrick

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S 1000 XR SE
  • Town: The death Star
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 12:01:32 PM »
Can the site not be used on tapatalk like so many other forums ??
You tell me how fast I was going Officer !

Offline Forum Admin

• XR Administrator
  • XR Member
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 12:27:09 PM »
Can the site not be used on tapatalk like so many other forums ??

Already discussed, see:

https://www.s1000xr.uk/index.php/topic,107.msg385.html#msg385

Since that post it's even worse, i know quite a few forum owners who have removed it recently.

:821:

Offline Forum Admin

• XR Administrator
  • XR Member
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 12:51:11 PM »
Mobile site is ok but on the modern smartphones it does look dated.

Yeah it's not the best I agree but it was our first incarnation. We have a newer version in the making thats "sharper" visually.

Offline johnboy1984

• XR Pro
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Belfast
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2015, 03:02:39 PM »
Never use the mobile versions of any forum, always the full version. Its like "do you want a nice colourful verson with pictures, or do you want this boring, dull version that will bore the tits off you and make you want to vomit blood"... well thats my take on it  :001:

Offline clarryr

• Ex Member
  • XR Member
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 03:12:43 PM »
Please Please Please don't default to the mobile version just because I'm accessing with a mobile device.  My mobile devices have every bit as much resolution as my PC's.  There is no reason for me to need a mobile version of a website, Indeed I absolutely hate mobile versions of websites and always have to go through the painful steps of finding the link to the normal website if one is even available.  I can't think of a faster way to make me drop my use of the forum if I have to do that all the time.

Offline S1000XR

• Forum Help & Support
  • XR Pro
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2015, 03:48:26 PM »
*Originally Posted by clarryr [+]
Please Please Please don't default to the mobile version just because I'm accessing with a mobile device.  My mobile devices have every bit as much resolution as my PC's.  There is no reason for me to need a mobile version of a website, Indeed I absolutely hate mobile versions of websites and always have to go through the painful steps of finding the link to the normal website if one is even available.  I can't think of a faster way to make me drop my use of the forum if I have to do that all the time.

Can understand that on a tablet but is that also the case on a phone? Not everyone has a large screen on their phone. Which devices are you using out of interest ?  :002:

Offline clarryr

• Ex Member
  • XR Member
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2015, 04:05:13 PM »
iPad and iPhone 6.  With a retina display it's plenty.  I infrequently use the iphone for surfing.  And getting mobile pages on the iPad is a pain.  What others need is fine, make them hit a button to switch to the mobile app instead.  Or just have two different web addresses, one for normal and one for mobile.  Then users can bookmark the one they want instead of you making an arbitrary choice for them.

Offline S1000XR

• Forum Help & Support
  • XR Pro
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2015, 04:14:54 PM »
You can't actually "bookmark" it as it doesn't work like that, they are essentially the same page, it just appears different depending on your device.

If you choose the "desktop" site when initially accessing then you should come back to the same one when you return on same device. Trick is not clear your cookies  :038: