Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Lurker saying hello  (Read 915 times)

Offline RyanGTXR

• XR Pro
  • Bike: KTM 1290 GT
  • Town: Notts
Lurker saying hello
« on: January 07, 2019, 09:10:11 PM »
Been lurking for a while, Currently ride a KTM 1290 GT but looking to add an XR to the garage this year. Will post a question or 2 in the relevant sections . . . . . . . .
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 10:11:35 PM by RyanGTXR »

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Re: Lurker sayinh hello
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 09:17:53 PM »
And hoping to do the opposite  :002:

Offline otrp

• XR Master
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 09:33:28 PM »
Welcome Ryan.   :002:

Offline RyanGTXR

• XR Pro
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 07:57:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]
And hoping to do the opposite  :002:

Are you looking to go the GT route and sell the XR Winger??? Or did I misunderstand the cryptic note?  :002:

Offline Winger

• XR God
Re: Lurker saying hello
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 08:57:52 PM »
You said you had a GT and was looking to add an X/R to the garage and I was looking to do the opposite  :002:

The advantage you have over me the X/R is give or take the odd bargain Is fairly structured price wise,BMW do not condone the stupidity that KTM have of discounting and with the batch of GT’s dumped on the market in December 17 at 11k just added fuel to the fire,the like of which I borrowed for 3 weeks.

The other problem!!(for the GT)theX/R market is awash with secondhand spares and reasonable numbers of aftermarket goodies the GT does not have that luxury,the plus’s while i’m Not a fan of electric suspension my A6 excepted  :002: I think the GT is the best of the lot so I currently remain an interested spectator when the GT market sorts itself out because while it’s fairly crude compared to the X/R great fun to ride  :001:

Online bazzer

• XR Master
  • Town: Waterlooville
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 07:37:36 AM »
I really fancy a GT too. Things that put me off are the dealer network, its not hard to find a BMW dealer when away if you have a problem, how do KTM compare to that? also I want decent top loading panniers and a decent top box. I don't want the daft integrated GT ones.

For me I think it would be instead of the XR if I was keeping the XR I would get a Superduke, which is not a bad idea :-)

Offline Sonnic

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR HP
  • Town: Melbourne, Aus
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2019, 07:45:15 AM »
Welcome Ryan!  :400:
You Orange blokes are hard to shift off those KTM’s so it’s refreshing to read about your plans.
Have a mate who has a very tricky Super Duke R (including Carbon Fibre Wheels) and can’t wait to get onto the 1290GT despite my suggestion he should try an XR!  :157:

Offline RyanGTXR

• XR Pro
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2019, 09:46:22 AM »
The GT is certainly a cracking good bike and lots of fun to ride, big tank is nice too (never have to worry about running out when riding with mate on his XR as he needs fuel first, interestingly, when we did French Alps last year every fill up was within a litre of each other and the GT was better economy on M/ways)
I did struggle on luggage capacity for 2 people though as while the panniers are very good, nice fit, aerodynamic (more so 2 up) and quick/easy to fit/remove, they figures say only 1 ltr smaller than the BMW XR panniers but it seems the XR ones fit much more in due to the shape . . . . . . . . . . . And that XR gearbox / Q/S . . . . . . .best I've ever used.
GT for playing and weekends away, XR for playing and weeks away touring  :440:

Online bazzer

• XR Master
  • Town: Waterlooville
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2019, 09:47:26 AM »
Yeah the BMW XR panniers are not to my liking either. I have Givi Trekker Outbacks and I think they are brilliant.

Offline Winger

• XR God
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2019, 01:06:36 PM »
It’s ironic really because I could give you a list as long as your arm about things I don’t like about the GT,I have never come across a bike that Bagster do not do a tank cover for(until the GT)which is certainly a bridge to be crossed as i’ve Said before we can do two weeks on the road with a decent tank bag and a 50l BM soft but where’s there’s a will !!!

If folks think the X/R gearing needs some work a GT won’t take 6th gear under 70/75 it just falls flat on its face.

Dealers?? If your lucky and have a good one local then woohoo but nowhere the decent coverage that you get from BM West Mids excepted now Clark’s have gone kaput.

Would I run a GT as an only bike? Never in a million years but luckily i’m Not in that situation,and as I mentioned in the other post the elephant in the room is price but I view that as part of the fun in buying one.