Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Low suspension (again, sorry)  (Read 704 times)

Offline RyanGTXR

• XR Member
  • Bike: KTM 1290 GT
  • Town: Notts
Low suspension (again, sorry)
« on: January 07, 2019, 09:33:59 PM »
Been lurking in the shadows for a bit but can't find the info I'm looking for so it's time to post . . . . . .
Can anyone tell me what EXACTLY is in the factory lowering kit?
I know low seat, guessing dog bones for the rear, is the front just shorter springs (added to the extra 5mm drop through the yokes) or is the whole cartridge kit different?
Cheers

Offline donia

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Wrocław
Re: Low suspension (again, sorry)
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 10:29:11 PM »
Hi,
Front: shorter springs, deeper montage of the fork;
Rear: shorter spring, longer bones.

The lower seat isn't practically lower then HP seat, because the HP is narrower in the bottom then lower seat. I've tried both of them, and with HP I had better support.

regards,

Offline wessie

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 XR SE Sport
  • Town: Cheltenham
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 10:34:53 PM »
I bought a 2016 factory lowered bike a few months ago - not sure what they do to lower the chassis except it fits me very well at 5'8" with a 31" inside leg. I see someone has posted those details.

Other changes are:

1. you can have any seat obviously, my bike came with a HP seat from the previous owner
2. side stand is shorter so the bike rests at a sensible angle
3. main stand is shorter and very easy to use which makes chain maintenance a doddle

Offline merlin

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Ilminster
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 09:36:39 AM »
Looking at the parts breakdown on RealOEM, the suspension differences are fork springs and internal spacers, damping cartridge, and rear shock unit. The dogbones etc are the same.

Offline wascallyrabbit

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: King George, VA
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 09:51:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by merlin [+]
Looking at the parts breakdown on RealOEM, the suspension differences are fork springs and internal spacers, damping cartridge, and rear shock unit. The dogbones etc are the same.

I have a low suspension and am looking at getting rid of the ESA and going full manual and raise it to standard height.  So this sounds like I could get a standard rear shock and standard fork cartridges and be done with it.

Offline merlin

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Ilminster
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 10:53:32 PM »
RealOEM gives the part numbers for the standard non-ESA suspension, plus all the other variants.

Offline wascallyrabbit

• XR Member
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2019, 11:05:51 PM »
not looking for stock BMW parts. will be going to the aftermarket for the shocks and fork cartridges. knowing that the parts will fit is half the battle. the aftermarket will give me preload, rebound and compression adjustability as well as springs suit for my weight and use.

Offline SimonUK

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
  • Town: Upstate, SC
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2019, 02:36:49 AM »
*Originally Posted by wascallyrabbit [+]
not looking for stock BMW parts. will be going to the aftermarket for the shocks and fork cartridges. knowing that the parts will fit is half the battle. the aftermarket will give me preload, rebound and compression adjustability as well as springs suit for my weight and use.

Have you considered this - http://www.beemershop.com/Merchant5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=BS&Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=S1000XR-TRAC

Keeps the ESA functionality, but with upgraded components

Offline wascallyrabbit

• XR Member
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2019, 02:56:16 AM »
I did, but not really interested in keeping the ESA. I just don't see any advantages to keep it. Also changing ride height from a low to standard isn't really cost effective even if using the tractive stuff.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2019, 07:57:38 AM »
Had my non ESA X/R 3 years next month purchased as a custom order and certainly not regretted it,fitted a Wilbers in the rear i’ve Been somewhat distracted working on other bikes this winter and the X/R is under a dust sheet a little unloved and still need to pull the front forks to get them revalved at K-Tech suspension.

dysfunctional