Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: HID same bulb different brightness  (Read 302 times)

Offline Markymark11

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2017 XR SE
  • Town: Basingstoke
HID same bulb different brightness
« on: January 20, 2019, 12:02:06 PM »
Does anyone who has HID and have the same bulb in both main and dipped, find that the main beam appears to be a different colour (not by much but a little whiter). I have installed matching 55w ballasts and 5000k bulbs in both, came as a kit but in 2 separate boxes which is why I wonder.

The main appears whiter than the dipped. I have left the lights on for a while till they are fully warmed up. I wondered if it was something to do with the optics of the reflectors being different before I get onto the supplier and see what they say. I could of course swap the bulbs over to see if that makes a difference but I have such a nice install I was hoping not to have to take it all apart again - lazy or what :)

Offline Markymark11

• XR Pro
Re: HID same bulb different brightness
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 01:13:46 PM »
OK Update - IGNORE Previous comments. I have swapped over the lights and the ballasts etc and it is always the same so I guess it is just an optical illusion after all :) too long staring at headlights - looking for a problem  :008:
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 01:14:19 PM by Markymark11 »

Offline merlin

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Ilminster
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 02:09:41 PM »
I had the same, though the main was a 50 watt and the dip was 35 watt. Both 5000k.
Eventually due to constant canbus weirdness, and HID being too slow to fire up for main beam, I went back to halogen.
Now trying LED...

Offline Markymark11

• XR Pro
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 04:38:15 PM »
Yeah, I read yours flickered on the dash and stuff. Haven't managed to ride it yet due to weather and roads but just in garage everything seems sound. I notice on mine they fire up really fast. The main beam takes a few seconds first time you use it but after that it seems to be instant. I guess that's to do with it being warm and as I ride it will cool down again and take longer to fire. Time will tell I guess.  :002:

As long as it works I will stick to it I think. I much prefer the look of the bike / colour of lights as long as they work well on road etc.  Even the initial flash as it sparks on main beam is bright enough and will be fine to act as a quick flash, I think.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 04:38:51 PM by Markymark11 »

Offline SimonUK

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
  • Town: Upstate, SC
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 04:59:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by Markymark11 [+]
Even the initial flash as it sparks on main beam is bright enough and will be fine to act as a quick flash, I think.

I have had HIDs in my bikes since 2007, they have come on in leaps since then especially with the 'FastBright' burners. Like you I believe that even when cold, that initial 'spark' is bright enough the be seen clearly, I would hazard a guess that the 'flash' is more noticeable than a standard halogen flashing.

Offline merlin

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Ilminster
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 05:49:52 PM »
The Fastbright high beam still isn't fast enough to light up a country road at night in winter in the rain when a load of traffic has been coming towards you and the bulb has cooled....

dysfunctional