Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Bikesafe  (Read 803 times)

Offline Gatsoburner

• XR Pro
  • Bike: Red XR SE
  • Town: Manchester
Bikesafe
« on: January 20, 2019, 02:09:54 PM »

Anyone done one or thought about it...?
Therapy...

You'll never see a motorbike parked outside a psychiatrists.

Offline 1964Hall

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000 XR 18
  • Town: Salisbury'ish
Re: Bikesafe
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 03:08:40 PM »
Although I've not personally done a bikesafe, I've had a bit to do with them in the last few years as an IAM/Rospa instructor.
They are well worth the relatively small cost, the Police riders are real world riders, they know what we know plus a shed load more. It's a fun day, and due to less and less class one Police riders being trained and retained in the force, places are usually in high demand and who knows if they'll run more courses in future years.
Grab the experience while you can.
\v/
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 03:10:24 PM by 1964Hall »
\v/ince

Offline wessie

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 XR SE Sport
  • Town: Cheltenham
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 03:17:45 PM »
I did one many years ago before the Bikesafe brand was created - my local county was one of the pioneers and there were people from all over the UK and even one person from Belgium on my course, which was 3 days spread over 3 weekends back then. I became a smoother rider afterwards as I was more aware of the lines I was taking through corners.

http://www.bikesafe.co.uk/ has details of the courses on offer across the country, although my county, Gloucestershire, has not published 2019 dates yet. They appeared in mid-Jan last year so should be close to being announced. First course was in April.

Offline wessie

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 XR SE Sport
  • Town: Cheltenham
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 03:24:16 PM »
some more comments in a thread I started on UKGSer a year ago
http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/472871-Bikesafe-2018/

Online Asw63632004

• XR Member
  • Bike: XR1000 se (2018)
  • Town: Swindon UK
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 04:11:10 PM »
Did one in Wiltshire  years ago,  when I was ' Born Again '. Would seriously recommend doing one if you get the chance.  You learn a lot  . :305:
Andy

Offline Denzle

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Worcester
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 06:43:35 PM »
Did one last year with Staffs police, the best £35 I’ve ever spent.
It takes a while to get over the fact that there is a police bike behind you, but once you realise that they ride fast but safe you just soak up the experience and enjoy it.
If your thinking of doing one then I can honestly say that it’s the best real world rider training you can get.
Denzle

Online Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2019, 08:38:31 PM »
Can only agree with the above....
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2019, 08:59:55 PM »
At the grand age of 21(I been riding 5 years) realised I could ride a bike on the road and all i’d Learn is to do is survive i’d Never learn to ride a bike a completely different part of motorcycling,I gave up riding a bike on the road for close on ten years holidays excepted  aquired anACU race license where I rode all of the Welsh national enduros and the Weston beach even the dreaded Stennett 100 race where the front wheel is going one way the rear another and your gut instinct was to jump off combine that with legally being able to dish out GBH doing a block pass and vice versa!!!

Never done a course in my life but i’ve Never treated biking as a game either.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 09:00:45 PM by Winger »

Offline Martin

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Sport SE
  • Town: West Berks
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2019, 10:42:08 PM »
Is that the same Gatsoburner that used to lurk around on the CB1000R forum?

Offline jgk1459

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2016 XR SE
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2019, 08:18:43 AM »
I did a Bikesafe course in Thames Valley - highly recommended and not what I expected.

Not only safe riding advice but also a good insight into the law and how traffic police view bikes, how we ride, loud pipes, posted speed limits, nationals etc. They fully appreciate why we ride bikes and they 'get it' - they just want us to keep our licences and make it home in one piece!

Came away with a lot more highway code knowledge than I expected. The safe riding techniques were really good. The policeman who took me out was a really decent chap, very realistic and knowledgeable.

I paid £50 for the day - personally I would have paid more, very much worth it.

dysfunctional