Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Euro 4 Emmisions what makes a 2016 a better accelerator vs a 2018+ mo  (Read 1894 times)

Offline Oregon_BMW

• XR Junior
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Bend, OR

How many of us out there have ridden a 2016 (non-Euro 4) bike back-to-back with a Euro 4 2018+ model?

My experience with both versions has been:

2016 is a smoother accelerator (off the start)

The two 2018 models which I rode both needed a "throttle bump" to get past the low-rpm dead spot. Well "dead spot" is too dramatic of a description. Just a bit of hesitation is what I experienced.

Comparison Experience: (tiny sample size)

- My 2016 model has 12,000 miles on the clock, after 24 months of ownership.
- Three weeks on a 2018* in Andalusia Spain (Nov 2017)
- Three weeks on a 2018 in Austria, Switzerland, Italy  (Sept 2018)

I didn't go into the 2017 Spain tour bike rental expecting anything different with the 2018 bike vs my US 2016 model. But gee, I sure did notice the initial hesitation multiple times on the 2017 Andalusia Spain trip. I found myself instinctively "goosing" the throttle for each takeoff.

The next tour, in 2018, after completely forgetting about the "hesitation" I experienced on the 2017 model the previous year ... same thing. Same hesitation on the 2018 model when taking off from a dead stop.

I know some folks say some of the 2016 model's are "vibey." Mine feels manageable and harmless without bar ends, but I do have the factory modification. I don't really know how to define the "degree of vibey."  But if it were bad, I'd prob add bar ends. I "do" agree with many others, the bike smooths out with additional miles. 

Responsiveness:
From my tiny sample size, the 2016 seems to be more responsive from take-off.

I looked into "why" the 2016 might be more responsive from a standing start and all I can point to is the Euro 4 emissions changes (to the engine) implemented in late 2016 (on the models which would be called 2018 models, since there are no US 2017 models)

Anyway, I'm about to buy a second 2016 unit (used) for use when we ride in Europe. Mostly because I like the throttle response on the 2016, and prefer to have my own bike in Europe rather than rent a bike at 180 Euro per day.

But I'm happy to buy a new bike ... especially that pretty blue bike  :038:

Would be happy to hear others experiences. Not looking for "homers" who love only what they own, and not trying to be a "homer" myself. Just wondering if it's coincidence or consistent with what others have experienced.

Thanks, I'll hang up and listen.

Planes, Airstreams, Boats and Bikes!!
Love this bike!!    2016 S1000XR
Bend, Oregon / Rye, New Hampshire

Online Markymark11

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2017 XR SE
  • Town: Basingstoke
Re: Euro 4 Emmisions what makes a 2016 a better accelerator vs a 2018+ mo
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 07:48:04 AM »
I rode my brothers 2016 in Spain last year and on the strength of that I bought a 2017 (euro 4) in November 2018. All subjective and with hind-site but I definitely feel mine is more "Vibey" - now cured with Evotech bar ends, and I can't remember having to use the extra throttle as I do on mine from pull away. There is a tiny lag from dead to take off, which I am now used to, but I do think you may be right in your observation. I also think at low speeds on a constant steady throttle - up to 30mph  - mine is a bit more "snatchy" than his.

I am told mine has an extra 5bhp than his and we are yet to run together to see exactly how that works out but I am very curious. I suspect in the real world there will be no difference. :002: We are getting together at the end of Feb for a run out so it will be interesting.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 07:49:05 AM by Markymark11 »

Online Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 11:56:44 AM »
*Originally Posted by Markymark11 [+]
I rode my brothers 2016 in Spain last year and on the strength of that I bought a 2017 (euro 4) in November 2018. All subjective and with hind-site but I definitely feel mine is more "Vibey" - now cured with Evotech bar ends, and I can't remember having to use the extra throttle as I do on mine from pull away. There is a tiny lag from dead to take off, which I am now used to, but I do think you may be right in your observation. I also think at low speeds on a constant steady throttle - up to 30mph  - mine is a bit more "snatchy" than his.

I am told mine has an extra 5bhp than his and we are yet to run together to see exactly how that works out but I am very curious. I suspect in the real world there will be no difference. :002: We are getting together at the end of Feb for a run out so it will be interesting.
[/color]

I am convinced that in normal road use, you would not really notice a 5bhp difference. You would almost certainly notice a bigger difference if you were to change the gearing. 
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Online Markymark11

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2017 XR SE
  • Town: Basingstoke
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 01:19:59 PM »
 :0461:

Online Wonger

• XR Pro
  • Bike: '18 S1000XR
  • Town: Fayetteville, GA
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 02:26:33 PM »
Both of these differences are FAR more likely due to a bike that has broken in with a few miles on it. Engines create more power after the break-in period. Many riders reported the vibes settling down after some miles as well.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 03:02:54 PM »
To the OP

There are so many variables in your post it’s all but impossible answer,the only thing that we can sure of is 17/18 has a different ECU,the subject has been pretty close done to death by the fact the motor has no balancer shaft and so far more likely to show a variation in engine build BMW just do not have to time to start weighing Conrods on massed produced engines

I see there is also a variety of different countries mentioned ranging from weather to fuel quality just impossible to come up with any defined conclusion even if had all the bikes together on the same day massed produced engines vary so much add in how it was broken in and who knows.

As for being able to tell if a bike has another 5hp come ride mine you’d tell the difference alright.

Offline Triumphboy

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Buckingham
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 04:25:37 PM »
I understand, for about £300 you can get someone to remap the ECU to get rid of those throttle niggles. Maybe that will solve the issue???

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 04:31:16 PM »
The only folks that I found with even the remotest suggestion of getting into a 17/18 ECU was JHS Racing Bristol.

Online Wonger

• XR Pro
  • Bike: '18 S1000XR
  • Town: Fayetteville, GA
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2019, 04:44:16 PM »
Brentune can do it. It's a no-going back affair, but serious power and performance upgrades.
https://brentuningmoto.com/product/2017-2018-bmw-s1000rr-stage-2-ecu-flash/

Online Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2019, 04:53:51 PM »
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]
To the OP

There are so many variables in your post it’s all but impossible answer,the only thing that we can sure of is 17/18 has a different ECU,the subject has been pretty close done to death by the fact the motor has no balancer shaft and so far more likely to show a variation in engine build BMW just do not have to time to start weighing Conrods on massed produced engines

I see there is also a variety of different countries mentioned ranging from weather to fuel quality just impossible to come up with any defined conclusion even if had all the bikes together on the same day massed produced engines vary so much add in how it was broken in and who knows.

As for being able to tell if a bike has another 5hp come ride mine you’d tell the difference alright.
[/color]

Really, still some people will believe anything.
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.