Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: International Driving Permits and Brexit  (Read 1500 times)

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
International Driving Permits and Brexit
« on: January 23, 2019, 07:24:10 PM »
Just had this turn up from the RAC with some interesting bed time reading.

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/travel/driving-abroad/international-driving-permits-and-brexit/

Offline Asw63632004

• XR Pro
  • Bike: XR1000 se Black
  • Town: Swindon UK
Re: International Driving Permits and Brexit
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 08:13:06 PM »
Thanks for that.  Very useful to know.  Cheers  :821:
Andy

Offline Markymark11

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2017 XR SE
  • Town: Basingstoke
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 08:34:11 PM »
Yes - very useful thank you, we are going to Spain in May so looks like will need an 1949 IDP - £5.50 is not too bad. If a last minute Brexit deal is struck however I guess it may stay as it is now ...who knows ? May also have to get a green card for insurance like the good old days. Interesting comments at the end regarding:- should foreign plates here pay tolls / tax.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 08:34:58 PM by Markymark11 »

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 10:55:53 AM »
We go third week in april and again in may its the green card that's going to be the ball ache if it happens as there's going to be a rush, in the bad old days or is that good!! remember being in Dover on the boat trying organise one.

Online RyanGTXR

• XR Pro
  • Bike: KTM 1290 GT
  • Town: Notts
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 11:58:56 AM »
More scaremongering IMO.
Even if we do leave without a deal (which is highly unlikely as this countries politicians seem unwilling to carry out the will of the peoples democratic vote) some sort of agreement will still be done for travel, which will include air travel, ports, driving etc or there would be too much disruption for both sides and would have adverse effects for both the UK and the EU countries.
After all it's not like it would need to be done from scratch, the policies are already in place so an agreement to carry on with them would be easy.

Offline Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2019, 12:47:35 PM »
Hi Ryan, Have to agree with what your saying. Prior to Europe ratifying the 1968 regulations, the use of a IDP was required to drive in Europe, but never implemented. Although in theory we may be required to have one after March 2019, I am certain that this will not be enforced deal or no deal.
But if you would like to be really safe then its very easy to apply for one, as the link that winger posted shows. At this stage I will not be bothering to apply for one.  :156:.
As for the Green card the MIB is the issuing authority. But The printed card will be available through your own insurance company, and is free ( Its against the law to charge for the document ) but your insurer can charge an admin fee.
I asked mine this morning and they will not be making a charge.
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline Markymark11

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2017 XR SE
  • Town: Basingstoke
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2019, 01:58:25 PM »
I'm with Hastings Direct and they don't know what they will be doing with Green Cards :002: Apparently they are working on it and will let customers know as soon as they have a system in place (hopefully before March 29  :012:) . Not surprising really as Hastings have proven to be a nightmare since day one and I won't be renewing with them next time.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 01:59:47 PM by Markymark11 »

Offline bazzer

• XR Master
  • Town: Waterlooville
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2019, 02:09:06 PM »
The will of HALF the people RyanGTXR :-)

Offline Bree

• XR God
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2019, 02:09:59 PM »
Actually its a really simple undertaking for your Insurance company. The MIB who authorise and administer the Green Card System. Issue insurance companies with a printable template, that your insurance company print off ( Must Be Green  :002: ) with your details.
Cannot be easier so as you say Hastings are just being unprofessional.

** If you Google  : MIB green card system explained : its all there for you to read........

Offline Bree

• XR God
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2019, 02:14:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by bazzer [+]
The will of HALF the people RyanGTXR :-)

:001:  No 33.6 million people voted !  17.4 million for  16.2 million against.   :001: :001: I would like the differance in ten pound notes....

dysfunctional