Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Avoided massive shunt on motorway  (Read 528 times)

Offline Becksy

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Warwickshire
Avoided massive shunt on motorway
« on: January 26, 2019, 07:04:15 PM »
Last week I just avoided a massive shunt on the motorway. I was in my car, but reason for relating it here is that I reckon my bike awareness and the old "learning to ride a bike makes you a better driver" saved me.

It was dark, rush hour. I was driving on the nearside lane on the motorway and heading towards a junction at which I was to exit. There was a Golf behind me who was driving a bit too close. On approach to the junction, he overtook me which I thought was strange given that he so clearly was heading for the same exit. He passed me whilst accelerating to pull back in front of me. At the same time, the hazards on the BMW in front of me started going off rapidly, meaning it was braking very hard. The BMW pulled slightly left onto the shoulder to avoid the car in front. At this moment the Golf was pulling in going quite fast, he couldn't brake in time and absolutely twatted the BMW up the rear, going into the air on impact.

Due to awareness of what was going on, and knowing what he was doing I was ready, quick glance to me right to check if there was anything in the middle lane, two wheels over the line, just managed to go around the accident as it was happening.

A close call.

Offline Markymark11

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2017 XR SE
  • Town: Basingstoke
Re: Avoided massive shunt on motorway
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 09:46:05 PM »
Well done Becksy, really glad you avoided injury - I can't believe how many times this happens, especially in the morning rush hour on the M3. The number of cars that get in within the last few metres before a junction is madness - does it really matter that they are 1 car further ahead at that point. It nearly always causes a dangerous braking backlash.

Offline marks1000xr

• XR Member
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Ormskirk
Re: Avoided massive shunt on motorway
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2019, 11:49:46 PM »
If only a motorbike test was mandatory there would be far more aware drivers out there
Alone I go faster together we go further

dysfunctional