Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Another camshaft hits the dirt :-(  (Read 852 times)

Offline marcparnes

• XR Pro
  • Bike: '18 S1000XR
  • Town: SoCal
Another camshaft hits the dirt :-(
« on: February 01, 2019, 12:29:49 AM »
I'm bummed! '18 with 16K miles and the No. 1 intake lobe takes a sh#t. They're replacing both cams, all the rockers and whatever else is up there. I thought it was only a tensioner as that's what it sounded like. Wouldn't have guessed this much damage. I wonder where all the debris ends up. Probably best not to think about it. Dealer says the parts alone are north of $4100! I put over 35K miles on my '16 with zero issues and now this. I keep thinking what I would have done if it had failed on one of my week long rides. Find a dealer and fly home I guess. Sheez...

Marc
'18 S1000XR Premium
'15 BMW R1200GS Low

Offline SimonUK

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
  • Town: Upstate, SC
Re: Another camshaft hits the dirt :-(
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 12:48:04 AM »
Sorry to hear that. Have seen a few of these pop up on the R and R forums, but don't remember anything in a long time(maybe back in mid '17). I have an R and XR (same cams,etc) and I just priced getting a spare set from KFM to have (just in case). I will save over $800, buying both cam shafts and timing chain kit from there.

You're warranty covers it I hope?!?

Offline marcparnes

• XR Pro
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 12:52:34 AM »
Yes, its all under warranty, hadn't even had the first valve check yet. Does kind of rattle your confidence, though.
Marc
'18 S1000XR Premium
'15 BMW R1200GS Low

Offline Karlb

• XR Pro
  • My Life is a Blur
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Crockett, TX
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 11:18:08 AM »
It happens, had a 2010 rr that sh#t itself at 2700+ miles, full Akro and a pc v with auto tune, I had bought it used in 2011from an individual, BMW covered it with a brand new engine,I would say on yours with a repair and not a replacement engine I would probably swap to a new one Before the end of warranty
2016 Red Sled

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 11:50:54 AM »
I was going to say the same over the years or so i’ve Been on here and the other board that closed must be 3rd or 4th X/R that has done a camshaft,I know someone who has had the same with an RR and same as above engine out new one in.

If mine goes the same way which is out of warranty i’ll Just put another motor in their cheap enough and there are plenty about.

Offline marcparnes

• XR Pro
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 02:03:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by Karlb [+]
It happens, had a 2010 rr that sh#t itself at 2700+ miles, full Akro and a pc v with auto tune, I had bought it used in 2011from an individual, BMW covered it with a brand new engine,I would say on yours with a repair and not a replacement engine I would probably swap to a new one Before the end of warranty
That would be my intention, to get rid of it before the warranty runs out. I did the same with the '16 at 35K miles and swapped for the '18. I've put high mileage on Boxers and never really worried about it but these seem more highly stressed.

Marc
'18 S1000XR Premium
'15 BMW R1200GS Low

Offline Speedy

• XR Pro
  • Town: Atlanta
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2019, 07:44:26 PM »
Wow, Marc.  That stinks!!

And I just bought an XR....hopefully mine is not one of the problem ones....sorry yours seems to be.  Definitely makes an extended warranty a requirement if you keep it past 36m/36k.

Separately, good chatting with you the other day.  I guess this explains why you were not riding your XR when I caught you....  I look forward to buying one of your Visual Alerts once I get my radar setup figured out....
2018 BMW S1000XR Ocean Blue - Current
2015 Yamaha FZ-09 Matte Grey - Current
2012 Kawasaki Concours 1400 Black - Sold
2001 Honda CBR 929 - Sold

Offline marks1000xr

• XR Member
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Ormskirk
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2019, 10:28:34 PM »
happened to my mates 18 plate 3.5k miles on it,he got a new bike out of it was on pc if that makes a difference
Alone I go faster together we go further

Offline Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2019, 10:45:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by marks1000xr [+]
happened to my mates 18 plate 3.5k miles on it,he got a new bike out of it was on pc if that makes a difference

One of the benefits of a PC deal.  ?
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline marks1000xr

• XR Member
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Ormskirk
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2019, 11:10:48 PM »
not sure if its a benefit of a pc deal for sure but he's a loyal persistent customer to bmw in chester had several bikes from them....they know him on a personal level and now me too because of him...sent my 15 plate in for a service asked them to check gear lever as I was over shooting neutral and going straight into 2nd.....out of warranty and came back fixed no charge!!!!!
Alone I go faster together we go further

dysfunctional