Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Battery charger draining battery  (Read 2674 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Pootle

  • XR Member
  • **
  • Posts: 17
  • Country: gb
  • Bike: 2017 BMW XR
  • Town: Saintfield
Battery charger draining battery
« on: February 03, 2019, 09:58:40 PM »
So, strange one here, I have the Optimate 4 battery charger and it is in CANBUS mode.

When I use the cable to plug it into the DIN socket up beside the dash it drains the battery over time rather than charges it.

I've checked the fuse in the cable, and the connections in the socket itself and everything seems fine.  Charger works fine when it is connected directly onto the battery.

Anyone else seen this issue or had this problem?

Online Bree

  • XR God
  • *****
  • Posts: 2021
  • Country: gb
  • Bike: S1000XR
Re: Battery charger draining battery
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2019, 10:21:29 PM »
I have not heard of the problems that you have had. But I would definitely try charging direct to the battery as this works okay. It also bypasses the canbus system as this appears to produce some problems. I had a similar problem when using the dedicated plug as you have. In my case it would not always give a full charge, although it did not drain the battery.
I have a set a pigtails connected direct to the battery, and these work perfectly so I would suggest charging direct and see what the outcome is. It will not damage the battery or Canbus system, and many owners on here use this system..  Keep us informed..
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline Pootle

  • XR Member
  • **
  • Posts: 17
  • Country: gb
  • Bike: 2017 BMW XR
  • Town: Saintfield
Re: Battery charger draining battery
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2019, 10:26:54 PM »
Thanks Bree, I have the tails on the bike, I just need to order the correct cable to plug it in, current I am using the crocodile clips directly onto the terminals.  Bikes in for a service next month and I am going to ask them about it then.

Noticing your signature there, a fellow member of the parish of Wittertainment?

Online Bree

  • XR God
  • *****
  • Posts: 2021
  • Country: gb
  • Bike: S1000XR
Re: Battery charger draining battery
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2019, 10:42:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by Pootle [+]
Thanks Bree, I have the tails on the bike, I just need to order the correct cable to plug it in, current I am using the crocodile clips directly onto the terminals.  Bikes in for a service next month and I am going to ask them about it then.

Noticing your signature there, a fellow member of the parish of Wittertainment?
[/color]





I know the the radio program ! But I did not know there was a connection with my signature.    :027:
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline Pootle

  • XR Member
  • **
  • Posts: 17
  • Country: gb
  • Bike: 2017 BMW XR
  • Town: Saintfield
Re: Battery charger draining battery
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2019, 10:46:46 PM »
It's one of their strap lines/regular sayings...among many others.

Online Bree

  • XR God
  • *****
  • Posts: 2021
  • Country: gb
  • Bike: S1000XR
Re: Battery charger draining battery
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2019, 10:55:14 PM »
*Originally Posted by Pootle [+]
It's one of their strap lines/regular sayings...among many others.



I am going to sue them for infringement of my copyright.    :002:
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline wessie

  • XR Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 191
  • Country: gb
  • Bike: 2016 XR SE Sport
  • Town: Cheltenham
Re: Battery charger draining battery
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2019, 11:52:40 PM »
When using the accessory socket:

1. are you putting the charger into CANBUS mode?

2. Are you checking the sequence of LEDs to ensure they match the manual?

My Optimate 4 was not working via the accessory socket on my other BMW. The charger was not giving the expected sequence. Simply a poor connection in the socket, solved by a bit of a wiggle & rotate of the plug. Same thing happens occasionally when plugging in my heated gear.

Offline Pootle

  • XR Member
  • **
  • Posts: 17
  • Country: gb
  • Bike: 2017 BMW XR
  • Town: Saintfield
Re: Battery charger draining battery
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2019, 04:34:58 PM »
Yes, charger is in Canbus mode and I think you are right, I'm not so sure the socket is so good, or else the plug, but something is not making a good connection.

Over time I am not sure if it is sending the signal to discharge and then not recharging correctly, or what is actually happening, but the nett result is a flat battery after about a week.

I have it connected to the battery at present, and have ordered the correct cable to safe me taking the seat off every time...this should fix the issue with the battery, but I would like them to look at the socket for me when it is in for its service.

On my old GS the can bus charger used to keep the accessories circuit around the bike, so the SATNAV would stay on and charge all the time, doesn't seem to do that on the XR, does yours stay on?

Offline wessie

  • XR Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 191
  • Country: gb
  • Bike: 2016 XR SE Sport
  • Town: Cheltenham
Re: Battery charger draining battery
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2019, 05:01:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by Pootle [+]
Yes, charger is in Canbus mode and I think you are right, I'm not so sure the socket is so good, or else the plug, but something is not making a good connection.

Over time I am not sure if it is sending the signal to discharge and then not recharging correctly, or what is actually happening, but the nett result is a flat battery after about a week.

I have it connected to the battery at present, and have ordered the correct cable to safe me taking the seat off every time...this should fix the issue with the battery, but I would like them to look at the socket for me when it is in for its service.

On my old GS the can bus charger used to keep the accessories circuit around the bike, so the SATNAV would stay on and charge all the time, doesn't seem to do that on the XR, does yours stay on?

No, I don't seem to have any circuits live when the charger is connected (but I do not have a very large sample size as I ride all year so rarely need to top up the batteries on either bike).

I do not use the satnav cradle as I have a perfectly good Zumo

I have read on some forums that DRLs are lit when charging via the canbus socket.

The other thing I would suggest is to make sure your bike has completely powered off i.e. the canbus has switched off which can take a while after switching off. Hopefully doing this will mean only the accessory socket circuit wakes up.

Do you have an alarm fitted to the bike? I don't have one on either bike. Maybe this confuses the Optimate?

Going direct to the battery is the obvious solution and my preference anyway. The XR battery is so accessible even using croc clips is hardly a faff...

Offline Pootle

  • XR Member
  • **
  • Posts: 17
  • Country: gb
  • Bike: 2017 BMW XR
  • Town: Saintfield
Re: Battery charger draining battery
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2019, 05:05:39 PM »
DLR is not lit from what I can see, but this would make sense with the Canbus keeping a circuit live.

I have an alarm but its turned off, curse of a thing and goes off even if someone is walking round my garage and knocks the bike at all.

Bike is totally powered off and the key is removed.

Yes, its not that much work compared to others, would just like the convenience of the accessory socket, cause its no work at all...

 



dysfunctional