Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Battery charger draining battery  (Read 2146 times)

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
Re: Battery charger draining battery
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2019, 10:11:14 AM »
*Originally Posted by Mareng1 [+]
Best method is to connect the charger, switch it on - then switch the ignition on (without starting engine) for 5-10 seconds, then switch the bike off again.  You should see the charger status lights change as the socket opens.

But - for the cost of fitting a charging tail to the battery, you can use any charger you want.

I have the BMW charger and charge via the Aux socket - I dont have to switch the ignition on/of as you describe - just plug into the socket and then turn the charger on  :305:
PSH

Offline merlin

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Ilminster
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2019, 01:31:33 PM »
Same here with the canbus Optimate 4.

Offline FieldSanitation

• XR Member
  • Bike: K1200s
  • Town: Reston,VA
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2019, 05:51:48 PM »
I had this issue on my K1200s with the BMW charger.  At first I pulled the battery and charged it directly... and then I realized it was the environment.  My bike sits out in the parking lot, about 150feet from the house.  I was using two extension cords that I pulled out the front window, across the lot to the bike, with the charger plugged into it.    One day I had the miter saw out and had to use a different cable.... suddenly it was charging!  turns out, one of my extension cords was like 16 gauge wire vs 14 or 12 gauge wire and the amps dropped off due to the distance of the cable...    now I make sure I use the right cables, and I can change both our bikes at the same time since the super thick one has three outlets on it.

dysfunctional