Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Dropped the forks by 5mm  (Read 625 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline StuB

  • XR Junior
  • *
  • Posts: 13
  • Country: au
  • Bike: S1000XR
Dropped the forks by 5mm
« on: February 05, 2019, 10:44:18 AM »
Dropped the forks 5mm the other day and took it for a run. To me, a big difference in handling as I always thought the front was a little 'flighty'. Feels a lot more stable and responsive through the twisties and was a major buzz, worth it in my opinion. 2016 SE with the HP tall seat, no other mod done to the suspension, running Michelin Power RS hoops

Give it a go, if you dont like it you can always put it back

Offline smithy

  • XR Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 787
  • Country: au
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Sydney.
Re: Dropped the forks by 5mm
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 10:42:52 PM »
*Originally Posted by StuB [+]
Dropped the forks 5mm the other day and took it for a run. To me, a big difference in handling as I always thought the front was a little 'flighty'. Feels a lot more stable and responsive through the twisties and was a major buzz, worth it in my opinion. 2016 SE with the HP tall seat, no other mod done to the suspension, running Michelin Power RS hoops
Give it a go, if you dont like it you can always put it back

Did the same to mine, on the same hoops too, although just recently gone to Road-5 on the rear and RS front....didn't notice a huge difference but was definitely a tad better in the tighter stuff.
The RS is a very underated tyre IMHO.

Smithy.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 10:44:55 PM by smithy »
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline bazzer

  • XR Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 476
  • Country: gb
  • Town: Waterlooville
Re: Dropped the forks by 5mm
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 09:04:22 AM »
I have done this but not been out for a spin on it yet. Will get out once the salt is gone.


Offline StuB

  • XR Junior
  • *
  • Posts: 13
  • Country: au
  • Bike: S1000XR
Re: Dropped the forks by 5mm
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 11:04:55 AM »
*Originally Posted by smithy [+]
Did the same to mine, on the same hoops too, although just recently gone to Road-5 on the rear and RS front....didn't notice a huge difference but was definitely a tad better in the tighter stuff.
The RS is a very underated tyre IMHO.

Smithy.

The tyres are great; these are the third type I have had on the bike and IMHO they are the best suited towards my ride style. Question is how long they will last.

What pressures are you running? I was recommended 40 f 42 r and have about 2K on them with little signs of wear

I also need to have a chat to you about your rapid bike module

Offline smithy

  • XR Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 787
  • Country: au
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Sydney.
Re: Dropped the forks by 5mm
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 07:33:39 AM »
I believe the RS is a "supersport tyre" and as such I believe you're running to high a pressure. Stock pressures are 42r/36f.....I run 38r/35f... I find these pressures work fine one-up and the tryes warm up nicely.
Two-up I run stock pressures.

Smithy.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 07:34:59 AM by smithy »
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline wilbert

  • XR Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 108
  • Country: gb
  • Bike: 2018 XR Sport SE
  • Town: Lancashire
Re: Dropped the forks by 5mm
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 10:54:34 PM »
Does it still get the "speed wobble" or have you not been able to test it at high speed yet? So if I get this right dropping the front end will put more weight on the front, reduce the overall wheel base, make it turn quicker but it will reduce straight line stability? Surely everything is a trade off. if you want a quick turning bike it will be more unstable and if its stable then it wont turn too well.

Offline smithy

  • XR Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 787
  • Country: au
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Sydney.
Re: Dropped the forks by 5mm
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2019, 11:59:38 PM »
*Originally Posted by wilbert [+]
Does it still get the "speed wobble" or have you not been able to test it at high speed yet? So if I get this right dropping the front end will put more weight on the front, reduce the overall wheel base, make it turn quicker but it will reduce straight line stability? Surely everything is a trade off. if you want a quick turning bike it will be more unstable and if its stable then it wont turn too well.

We're talking very small amounts, dropping the forks by 5mm would be similar to someone who is 15kg heavier sitting on the bike....although it should drop the whole bike front and rear by a similar amount.

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline StuB

  • XR Junior
  • *
  • Posts: 13
  • Country: au
  • Bike: S1000XR
Re: Dropped the forks by 5mm
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 02:36:26 AM »
*Originally Posted by wilbert [+]
Does it still get the "speed wobble" or have you not been able to test it at high speed yet? So if I get this right dropping the front end will put more weight on the front, reduce the overall wheel base, make it turn quicker but it will reduce straight line stability? Surely everything is a trade off. if you want a quick turning bike it will be more unstable and if its stable then it wont turn too well.

Only had the opportunity of riding on a wet/ damp day so far, but on the odd occasion that day (dry and private road of course) I managed to get up to 160 or so, no issues with any wobbles. Also i come in @ 110kg plus gear and usually ride solo with the preload settings on 1+ panniers, so I don't know if that has an effect overall

To me, it feels more stable than it used to be

Cheers

Offline wilbert

  • XR Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 108
  • Country: gb
  • Bike: 2018 XR Sport SE
  • Town: Lancashire
Re: Dropped the forks by 5mm
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2019, 03:21:05 AM »
Is that MPH or KMH? Mine won't go over 155mph (satnav speed) and I've tried but the bike says no.

Offline StuB

  • XR Junior
  • *
  • Posts: 13
  • Country: au
  • Bike: S1000XR
Re: Dropped the forks by 5mm
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2019, 03:25:13 AM »
*Originally Posted by smithy [+]
I believe the RS is a "supersport tyre" and as such I believe you're running to high a pressure. Stock pressures are 42r/36f.....I run 38r/35f... I find these pressures work fine one-up and the tryes warm up nicely.
Two-up I run stock pressures.

Smithy.

Thanks Smithy, I will give that a go. Got 2 and a bit K on them so far and they seem to be wearing well and evenly




Cheers

 


dysfunctional