Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Hello everyone  (Read 7353 times)

Offline Slider

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Newbury
Hello everyone
« on: September 28, 2015, 09:46:49 PM »
Read many posts as a non member, now joined and looking to participating. Where  am I with the XR? Well, I've test ridden it, I love it, I want one!  Currently have a K1600. Now in the process of working on a deal, considering whether to trade in the K1600 or sell privately, what version and spec to go for, etc.
{c/o Tommy Cooper} Local Police hunting the 'knitting needle nutter', who has stabbed six people in the rear in the last 48 hours, believe the attacker could be following some kind of pattern.

Offline johnboy1984

• XR Pro
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Belfast
Re: Hello everyone
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 11:02:55 PM »
Hi mate and welcome  :028: I traded my blade in for my xr... when I thought about the hassle of selling private, arseholes offering stupid money and tyre kicking I decided its not worth the hassle. Dealers are offering good trade in values these days. I got more actually than i would have selling it private... What colour you going for?

Offline AussieJonathan

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Bayview, NSW, AU
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 12:08:34 AM »
Hi and Welcome

From what you read on this forum you will no doubt realise we are all slightly biased about the XR but I can say I still find it a great bike whatever I ask of it - commuting, hooning, touring or just popping out to the shops (the long way round). I'm sure you will find it as good as you imagine it will be!

Cheers

Offline fgdriver

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Red
  • Town: London
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 08:31:16 AM »
Welcome to the Forum of careful and considerate riders  :018: well some of the time :007:  I did the same thing with my last bike just cannot understand that when you say no to a very low offer the buyer takes it personally and starts the whole chest out routine. 

S.
As Always Ride Safe.

Offline Slider

• XR Member
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 09:05:18 AM »
Thanks, Johnboy1984, AussieJonathathan, and fgdriver.

I know what you mean about selling privately, and I would prefer to trade in to remove the hassle. I'm looking to minimise the gap between the dealer's trade in offer on my bike and the best possible discount they can give. We've done round one, and the trade in offer is about £2k under what they 'appear' to be going for privately. So, in parallel with brow beating the dealer, and possibly other dealers, I may try a private sale. I'm hoping my K1600 will do well as it's in great nick, 7600 miles and still under warranty to June 2016. The only thing I'm wondering is if it's not a great time of year to sell.

Cheers
{c/o Tommy Cooper} Local Police hunting the 'knitting needle nutter', who has stabbed six people in the rear in the last 48 hours, believe the attacker could be following some kind of pattern.

Offline Slider

• XR Member
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 11:50:24 AM »
Sorry, johnboy1984, forgot to say: the other half prefers white, so that's what we are going for. I'm inclined towards the white also as it reminds me of the S1000 R and RR white scheme, which I love.

Offline bagwafu

• XR Pro
  • Town: South Central
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 01:24:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by Slider [+]
Thanks, Johnboy1984, AussieJonathathan, and fgdriver.

I know what you mean about selling privately, and I would prefer to trade in to remove the hassle. I'm looking to minimise the gap between the dealer's trade in offer on my bike and the best possible discount they can give. We've done round one, and the trade in offer is about £2k under what they 'appear' to be going for privately. So, in parallel with brow beating the dealer, and possibly other dealers, I may try a private sale. I'm hoping my K1600 will do well as it's in great nick, 7600 miles and still under warranty to June 2016. The only thing I'm wondering is if it's not a great time of year to sell.

Cheers

Have you tried Bahnstormers in Alton ? - they gave me a very good trade in for my S1000RR - just a shade less than what I paid for it a few years earlier (dont tell them that!).  Might be worth a phone call.
S1000XR SE Sport

Offline Slider

• XR Member
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2015, 01:34:57 PM »
Good shout Bagwafu, I will do that. I'm currently talking to Bhanstormer Maidenhead.

Interesting transition from the S1000RR to S1000XR. Don't know if you've shared already, but would be interesting to know why the move and, I know it's not necessarily comparing apples with apples, but given the common elements, are there comparisons and are you pleased with your change?

Cheers

Offline bagwafu

• XR Pro
  • Town: South Central
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2015, 03:55:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by Slider [+]
Good shout Bagwafu, I will do that. I'm currently talking to Bhanstormer Maidenhead.

Interesting transition from the S1000RR to S1000XR. Don't know if you've shared already, but would be interesting to know why the move and, I know it's not necessarily comparing apples with apples, but given the common elements, are there comparisons and are you pleased with your change?

Cheers

Why?  because me and my other half want to do more stuff together (like getting married on Friday !!!!!) - the RR was no good for pillions.  Plus I'm getting on a bit, and long rides on the RR got a bit tiresome (did a tour to the Black Forest this year - in the Black Forect itself it was brilliant, but getting there (and back) was a bit of a pain in the hoop.  Literally.  So I needed something that could give me the thrill of a sportsbike with touring and pillion cabailities - I had been looking at the Multistrada, then the XR came out, I test rode it (and knew I wanted it) and Bahnstormers did me a good deal.

Dont get me wrong - the RR was (is) awesome - however the RR shines (above its rivals) at the top end of the rev range which is way too fast for UK roads.  Unless you are on a track you arent going to get the best use out of it tbh.   Conversely the XR engine is just brilliant on UK roads, the bike is hoofing quick (when legal .....), really comfortable, has all the toys you could want and you can take passengers.  We have already done a mini tour in the UK on it and we have a nice long trip around and over the Pyrennees next year planned.  Future wifey is more than happy with it, and it still give me the ability to hoon it with my mates or use it as a commuter.  Its definitely the best bike I've ever owned, most of them being sportsbikes !

So yes, very pleased with the change.  Buy one, you wont regret it.
S1000XR SE Sport

Offline Slider

• XR Member
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2015, 08:00:33 PM »
*Originally Posted by bagwafu [+]
Why?  because me and my other half want to do more stuff together (like getting married on Friday !!!!!) - the RR was no good for pillions.  Plus I'm getting on a bit, and long rides on the RR got a bit tiresome (did a tour to the Black Forest this year - in the Black Forect itself it was brilliant, but getting there (and back) was a bit of a pain in the hoop.  Literally.  So I needed something that could give me the thrill of a sportsbike with touring and pillion cabailities - I had been looking at the Multistrada, then the XR came out, I test rode it (and knew I wanted it) and Bahnstormers did me a good deal.

Dont get me wrong - the RR was (is) awesome - however the RR shines (above its rivals) at the top end of the rev range which is way too fast for UK roads.  Unless you are on a track you arent going to get the best use out of it tbh.   Conversely the XR engine is just brilliant on UK roads, the bike is hoofing quick (when legal .....), really comfortable, has all the toys you could want and you can take passengers.  We have already done a mini tour in the UK on it and we have a nice long trip around and over the Pyrennees next year planned.  Future wifey is more than happy with it, and it still give me the ability to hoon it with my mates or use it as a commuter.  Its definitely the best bike I've ever owned, most of them being sportsbikes !

So yes, very pleased with the change.  Buy one, you wont regret it.

"I test rode it (and knew I wanted it)" - says it all, exactly how I feel. Thanks for your insight. I was very surprised about its pillion capabilities. I knew I was already keen on the bike, but I had to take Mrs Slider out on a test ride as pillion. I wasn't feeling positive ahead of the test ride coming from the apparently roomy K1600, but amazingly she thought it was great, and even felt more comfortable on it. She felt being slightly higher up she had more room, and her legs were more outstretched which relieved the pressure on her abdomen that she was feeling on the K1600. So I was chuffed to bits, major green light!

Cheers