Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Sat Nav locking  (Read 251 times)

Offline daverobo

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Cheshire
Sat Nav locking
« on: February 10, 2019, 10:39:32 PM »
Okay , so I previously posted on here re sat Nav locking, asking for any suggested alternatives to the retro fitting of the BMW lockable cradle, eventually no doubt I will end up handing over my hard earned £48 to my friendly BMW dealer for the sat Nav lock that should have been fitted from standard.

I think I have come up with a decent alternative in the meantime, to ensure I’m able to keep my sat nav where it should be, and not in the pocket of some opportunist scumbag.

I would only put my faith in my solution for short stops eg fuel fill ups, coffee stops etc, but to be honest even if I had the locking cradle fitted I wouldn’t leave my Nav 6 on my bike in the car park at a big bike meet eg, BSB , MotoGP etc.

Here’s what Ive come up with, with the Sat Nav in place in the factory fitted mount :
Cut a piece of plastic tubing the exact length of the release catch, I found scotoiler delivery tubing was perfect, then cut it fully length ways, and fit it over the release catch, once in place reinforce it with three fine zip ties, snip of the excess and it is then impossible to push in the release catch to remover the sat Nav without first snipping of the cable ties and removing the tubing,
It’s a cheap fix, can’t be seen , and relatively simple to remove and refit if you want to, trust me first the potential thief would need to work out how you’ve secured it , then tthey would have to have with them a sharp pair of fine clippers, / knife , that’s unlikely , anyway not meant to be foolproof but I think it’s a reasonable solution , have a go and let me know what you think
 :152: :152: :152:

Offline Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
Re: Sat Nav locking
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 11:18:57 PM »
Seems a great Idea, But after wasting my cash on the rubbish wunderlich attempt at a sat - nav lock. I decided the easiest solution was just take the thing off and put it in my pocket.
Do not get me wrong your Idea seems sound and extremely cheap. And could work for others, my only reservation being if left in the cradle a half determined thief could very easily just rip the whole thing off. Hence my solution is to have it in my pocket......If its not on the bike they cannot nick it..   :164:
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Sydney.
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 12:47:09 AM »
*Originally Posted by Bree [+]
If its not on the bike they cannot nick it..   :164:

True, they'll just nick the whole bike then.. :027:

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Online RyanGTXR

• XR Member
  • Bike: KTM 1290 GT
  • Town: Notts
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 04:15:57 AM »
*Originally Posted by smithy [+]
True, they'll just nick the whole bike then.. :027:

Smithy.

But he'd still have the sat nav  :150:

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Sydney.
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 04:26:25 AM »
*Originally Posted by RyanGTXR [+]
But he'd still have the sat nav  :150:

LOL.. :008:

At least you'd know where you were going....whilst walking.. :001:

Smithy. 
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 09:49:25 AM »
Take it off and lock in top box - easy  :305:
PSH

Offline daverobo

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Cheshire
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 10:44:25 AM »
Don’t want to be having to do that every time I refuel

Offline Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 12:10:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by daverobo [+]
Don’t want to be having to do that every time I refuel

It actually takes me longer to operate the quick release and remove the tank bag to refuel, than remove the sat nav.
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

dysfunctional