Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Free play on SBS brake pads  (Read 968 times)

Offline Quicken_ZA

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Roodepoort
Free play on SBS brake pads
« on: February 11, 2019, 07:56:20 AM »
Hi Guys,

Not too long ago I replaced my OEM pads with SBS branded brake pads in the front. After a little while the front end started feeling loose under braking. I could not figure out what was going wrong and even thought that it might be steering neck bearings that may started showing wear. However, I checked it properly over the weekend and realized that the brake pads move a little up and down within the caliper and knocks against the retainer pin since the pad's retainer pin hole is more oval than the OEM pads.

I want to replace the pads with a cheaper equivalent than the OEM (since OEM pads are 5x the price) but do not want run into the same issue again. Has anyone experienced this kind of issue with the EBC pads? Also, if I can find the EBC's here in SA, is there any specific color (blue stuff, green stuff, etc.) I need to look out for or do they only come in one color for the XR?

Thanks.

Offline Gazk

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000xr SE Sport
  • Town: Leicester
Re: Free play on SBS brake pads
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 12:57:02 PM »
Hi I've not change the pads but I've just sent you a PM with the EBC link, looking at the site they do track pads but only right one with the grove in :112:
https://bikes.ebcbrakeshop.co.uk/info-parts?make=BMW&model=S1000+XR+%28Disc+has+fixed+bobbins%29&year=2015-2018&search=Part+Number
After over thirty years behind the bars, I’ve still not done it all or seen it all.

https://www.youtube.com/user/emmanuelgoldstein1

Offline Quicken_ZA

• XR Member
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 01:20:48 PM »
It seems that EBC is not imported to SA and getting them specially delivered will not only take very long but will cost me an arm and a leg. I have been told that Galfer pads are a good alternative and will give that a try and give feedback on it soon.

Online Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 01:38:48 PM »
Yep, I have used Galfer pads on my track day bike. Perfectly fine pads and I would have know problem in using them, the ones I fitted were the FD 107 / G1375 sintered with ceramic backing. But best check what would be best for the XR..  Hope this helps
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline Quicken_ZA

• XR Member
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 01:41:14 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bree [+]
Yep, I have used Galfer pads on my track day bike. Perfectly fine pads and I would have know problem in using them, the ones I fitted were the FD 107 / G1375 sintered with ceramic backing. But best check what would be best for the XR..  Hope this helps

Glad to hear this...

Online merlin

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Ilminster
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 02:11:16 PM »
Why not Brembo? They make the calipers and the OEM pads...

Online bazzer

• XR Master
  • Town: Waterlooville
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 03:40:05 PM »
I use Brembo SC pads and they are an upgrade from the standard pad, which I believe are the SA compound.

I tend to use SBS dual carbon pads on track, mainly as I am two tight to pay for Brembo Z04 or SBS Dual Sintered :-)

I would have no issues running SBS Race Sintered on the road and would be a good alternative to the Brembo SC

Online merlin

• XR Pro
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 04:07:26 PM »
I wouldn't want to use the SC on the road having read the Brembo specs, especially in the winter. Plus if you want to keep costs reasonable the SC are quite a lot more than the SA.

Online bazzer

• XR Master
  • Town: Waterlooville
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 04:08:56 PM »
SC are totally fine in winter and the wet. They work from cold and just work better than SA.

Online merlin

• XR Pro
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 04:11:52 PM »
OK cool