Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Free play on SBS brake pads  (Read 692 times)

Offline bazzer

• XR Master
  • Town: Waterlooville
Re: Free play on SBS brake pads
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2019, 04:13:06 PM »
"Sintered compound for sport street and moderate track use. The good friction coefficient when hot and above all the stability at high temperatures allow consistent braking performance from the start to the last Sintered compound for sport street and moderate track use. The good friction coefficient when hot and above all the stability at high temperatures allow consistent braking performance from the start to the last lap. The good friction coefficient of this material when cold allows efficient street use."

From the Brembo website and from use I would agree with what it says.

Offline bazzer

• XR Master
  • Town: Waterlooville
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2019, 04:14:12 PM »
Conversely there is no way I would use SBS Dual Carbons on the road, they just don't really work at all on the first corner out of the pits :-)

Offline merlin

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Ilminster
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2019, 04:22:48 PM »
In that case I might try the SC when mine are due for replacing. They cost a fair bit less than the BMW ones too.
As far as the OP is concerned I guess it would depend on availability in South Africa...

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2019, 11:25:15 AM »
I’ve lost track over the years the hassle I’ve had with after market pads and what make of disc they work on,even had a set weld themselves to the disc over night on the Portsmouth/St Malo ferry  :012:

I’ve run both AP and PFM 6 pots on my 1100s and Beringers on my Tiger and tried going away from OE which didn’t work and begrudgingly doing the same with my K and X/R just take a paracetamol before paying but at least their are no nasty surprises apart from the price.

Offline Quicken_ZA

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2015 S1000XR
  • Town: Roodepoort
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2019, 06:41:25 PM »
Ok, put the Galfer pads on and although they are better and there is no longer free play up and down in the caliper the disc mounts to wheel are moving about when the pads are clamped to the disc by pressing the lever. It seems to be an XR issue since the dealership showed me another bike with exactly the same problem with less mileage.

Does anyone know if this can be fixed by either re-tightening the bolts that clamp the disc to the wheel? BMW quoted me an exorbitant amount to fix this issue and it just doesn't seem worth it.

Offline Quicken_ZA

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2015 S1000XR
  • Town: Roodepoort
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2019, 06:52:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by Quicken_ZA [+]
Ok, put the Galfer pads on and although they are better and there is no longer free play up and down in the caliper the disc mounts to wheel are moving about when the pads are clamped to the disc by pressing the lever. It seems to be an XR issue since the dealership showed me another bike with exactly the same problem with less mileage.

Does anyone know if this can be fixed by either re-tightening the bolts that clamp the disc to the wheel? BMW quoted me an exorbitant amount to fix this issue and it just doesn't seem worth it.

Please ignore the last comment... I read the Haynes manual  :745: :138:

dysfunctional