Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Laser Jammers - Any Experience?  (Read 831 times)

Offline Speedy

• XR Pro
  • Town: Atlanta
Laser Jammers - Any Experience?
« on: February 11, 2019, 10:09:37 PM »
Ok, this is out there a bit but figured I'd ask....

Does anyone have any experience with laser jammers, specifically the AntiLaser Priority brand (http://www.alpriorityusa.com/)?  This appears to be the gold standard for this market segment and with the serious adoption of LIDAR/Laser usage in the US and significantly in the Atlanta area where I am, I'm seriously considering this as an option. 

To cover the radar side of things I have a standard detector with a Marc Parnes Visual Alert on the way  (thank you Marc), but I think I need coverage for Laser as well.   Radar/Laser detectors are worthless against laser as they are merely ticket notifiers because by the time your detector goes off, its' too late.  They only defense appears to be a jammer, or maybe ride with the buddy who likes to ride faster than you... :745:

It's not cheap but I just can't stomach a ticket (especially a big one) and it's too damn hard to keep this rocketship under the posted speed limit.  The base ALP system starts at about $500, but for decent bike coverage you really need the $750 model and because of what the LEOs use in my area (a gun/brand/etc called DragonEye), I'm looking at more like $1000-$1250 for good coverage.  Then you have to install it....

There is a lot of good info and a couple of good forums like this one on the topic, but the knowledge base as it pertains to motorcycle usage appears to be a fair amount more modest.  I guess most bikers just try (and frequently fail....) to run from the police - I'm much too old for that crap....

Just curious what the group's experience might be with this, if any.
2018 BMW S1000XR Ocean Blue - Current
2015 Yamaha FZ-09 Matte Grey - Current
2012 Kawasaki Concours 1400 Black - Sold
2001 Honda CBR 929 - Sold

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Scotland
Re: Laser Jammers - Any Experience?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 09:34:22 AM »
Illegal in the UK, where it falls into the “Attempting to Perverting the course of justice” category.

I got the impression that motorcycles were already more difficult targets than cars/vans, but I imagine that anything that further disrupts the signal/return is beneficial.

The alternative would be to get some stealth paint - and to for that Matt-all black look.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 11:16:41 AM »
*Originally Posted by Mareng1 [+]
Illegal in the UK, where it falls into the “Attempting to Perverting the course of justice

Yep my first thoughts as well  :001:

Offline Speedy

• XR Pro
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 11:30:03 AM »
Like radar detectors, legal in most states here, with a few more exceptions of course.  Apparently, If you're caught with one in one of the 'bad' states, the fine appears to be less than a speeding ticket and not a moving violation so it doesn't impact your insurance either...

Offline Speedy

• XR Pro
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 06:49:35 PM »
A particularly timely article on Foxnews.com

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/driver-jailed-3-months-for-using-laser-jammer

I guess you UK guys face a bit harsher penalties for this....as previously mentioned I'd add.

Offline merlin

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Ilminster
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 07:22:25 PM »
In France it's illegal to have even a sat nav that tells you where speed cameras are located, FFS. So the advice to Brits going there seems to be make sure this feature is disabled/removed.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 07:23:05 PM by merlin »

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 07:29:50 PM »
Re: France - there are two things which temper that ruling:

The Gendarmes are not allowed to interrogate your  satnav at the roadside.
Garmin (at least) now highlight ‘dangerous sections’ of road (where there may of course - be cameras)

Offline merlin

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Ilminster
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2019, 07:48:54 PM »
Well that's good news.
How are things in Germany and Belgium (since we're heading that way later in the year)?

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2019, 11:56:15 PM »
*Originally Posted by Mareng1 [+]
Illegal in the UK, where it falls into the “Attempting to Perverting the course of justice” category.

Likewise here in Aus...totally illegal and a "lockup-able" offence. :027:

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Patrick Bateman

• XR Pro
  • Bike: K1600GTL & ZX10R
  • Town: Sydney
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 07:48:00 AM »
Illegal in Aus, but there are a lot of them around. One of the K1600 crowd has a unit that detects both radar and Lidar. Smalk sensor hidden in the front fairing. He has it connected to a Sena and when it detects either, it beeps then shuts down. I'm told the Lidar function crashes the cops unit then by the time they restart it, he's slowed down. Been using it for about 4 years, never been questioned about it and it's saved his bacon dozens of times. He spoke to a cop who turned up at a recent Ulysses meet and the cop said that the detection units are very rare in HWP (if not, unused) these days because most ppl are too scared to risk getting caught. He has the software updated every couple of years by a guy in W.A
I need to return some videotapes.