Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Bluetooth headset  (Read 859 times)

Offline coastal59

• XR Member
  • Bike: 1000 xr se
  • Town: Anglesey
Bluetooth headset
« on: February 21, 2019, 10:28:40 PM »
Can anyone on here recommend a simple but effective bluetooth headset , I don't need to communicate with other riders or pillion as its just for phone and satnav.
Thanks Dave

Offline James55

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMWs1000XR
  • Town: Johnson City
Re: Bluetooth headset
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 12:06:22 AM »
I have the same need for a bluetooth system and I use the UClear system which has a boomless mic system which makes for a very clean installation.  I have had 2 of them for about 5 years and they still work great and hold a charge for several hours.  They now have some newer models.  One that apparently works with hand signals rather than actually having to touch a button, but I have no knowledge of how well that works.  The basic model is very reasonably priced.  Another method I have used that actually has better sound especially if listening to music is a set of Beats X bluetooth earbuds.  They have a flat profile and fit well with my modular helmet.  They also provide good protection from wind noise.  Both communicate easily with my Iphone and Nav 6.

Online Markymark11

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2017 XR SE
  • Town: Basingstoke
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 07:49:14 AM »
I have the Interphone F5mc. dead simple, reliable and easy to use and waterproof, and much better than their new generation tour and sport series. Anyway what I wanted to say is just be aware that using your phone, dialling out with voice recognition may use mobile data. I have a Samsung galaxy s9 and it has to go via a server for voice recognition when dialling out so uses mobile data - only relevant if you have a limited data plan. Obviously receiving calls is fine so just be aware. Also double check that your sat nav is compatible with whatever you buy. There are literally hundreds of cheap ones on ebay, some of which are not compatible with Garmin.

I bought cheap when they first came out thinking I won't need many of the functions only to have them fail for different reasons. In the end like everything, I spent good money on a known system and it has worked brilliantly and faultlessly rain or shine for 5 years and counting ....oh and also watch they are waterproof - some of the top ones still aren't !

If it were me I would look at Cardo, Sena or Interphone but whatever you do don't just buy cheap or the first one you see without further investigation. Not massive help I know but maybe some words of warning  :002: ...also not trying to imply you would buy cheap  :002:
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 07:51:08 AM by Markymark11 »

Offline coastal59

• XR Member
  • Bike: 1000 xr se
  • Town: Anglesey
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 06:56:38 PM »
Cheers Guys , I will look online and see what i can find and  Marky yes i am a cheapskate mate but will get the best i can on your advice.

Online Markymark11

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2017 XR SE
  • Town: Basingstoke
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 06:59:08 PM »
 :008: :008: good luck mate

Online wessie

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 XR SE Sport
  • Town: Cheltenham
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2019, 08:16:18 PM »
Cardo Scala do a QZ which is their Rider minus the intercom.

I prefer to use it with in ear buds but it comes with speakers you can put in your helmet. I have removed the boom mike as I only want it to listen to TMS or Radio 4 podcasts on a long, boring ride. Around £70

e.g. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Scala-Rider-Motorcycle-Bluetooth-Headset-Black/dp/B00JMGZW60/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1550866630&sr=1-1&keywords=cardo+scala+qz
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 08:17:27 PM by wessie »

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2019, 12:44:50 PM »
I have a Sena which works fine with everything :305:
PSH

Offline RedbirdXR

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2016 XR/GSXR1000
  • Town: san ramon,CA USA
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2019, 03:30:22 PM »
I use the Cardo PackTalk Bold.  I know you don't need to communicate with others, but it has the state of the art if you do.  It does an awsome job with verbal commands for phone, music as well as communications. Their new Cardo Slimline is even better.  It has most of the unit tucked into the rear of the helmet with a small side mounted unit on the side of the helmet.  Right now they are on sale for $255.

Here is a great review.

Sale
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/cardo-packtalk-slim-headset-2018

Cardo has treated me very well with customer service.  I have broken off the antenna on several  units and they just sent a replacement.  Once they took a while to get a replacement, so they sent 2. 

Offline FieldSanitation

• XR Member
  • Bike: K1200s
  • Town: Reston,VA
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2019, 06:02:41 PM »
I had the blueant F4... LOVED IT...  it died and so did blueant... and I had to get something since the F5 was a figment of imagination when blueant went away... so I went with the Sena   https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sena-smh10r-bluetooth-headset   SMH10r...  which worked great for two riders way back when it first came out.... they've since updated the software to include networking other riders in... but its NOT super simple.  and my phone is usually the problem for the integration, but I've not killed it off yet, and the wife bought new batteries for Christmas last year which has extended it's life.    Don't get me wrong, it's an awesome device, we get great range between bikes and I love it...  but if I could have Jarvis on a headsup display with a full AI, that's how I'd do it.

Offline Goferbikes

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport
  • Town: Peterborough
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2019, 08:55:02 PM »
I've got the Interphone Sport. Had it about 18 months now, and my first intercom so nothing to compare with, but I'm converted. Does what I need it too, just for satnav (Tom Tom 400) radio and Samsung phone. Usually ride on my own, yup a miserable git, so bike to bike hasn't been used yet but it's there if ever..... Oh and it's waterproof, I've tested that fully too many times. Battery is great too, long weekends easily handle. One thing I did change was the mic, comes with a bulbous lump that was always in the way and irritating. Upgraded that to the flatter compact mic, much better.

dysfunctional