Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Shad top box  (Read 1893 times)

Offline zx9landie

• XR Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Camberley
Shad top box
on: February 28, 2019, 08:24:09 PM
Hi all,
Has anyone tried fitting a BMW key barrel to a Shad top box please ??
Cheers

Offline serge1966

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Melbourne
Re: Shad top box
Reply #1 on: March 01, 2019, 08:06:42 AM
I've fitted a full Shad system (SH36 paniers and SH48 top box) but never bothered with changing the locks...
I've marked the key for the top box with a dot of correction pen and the side case key with two dots... works ok!
Just thinking the hassle and cost isn't really worth it IMO...  :034:

Life always offers you a second chance... it's called "Tomorrow"...

Online Mareng1

• XR God
  • Town: Cumbria
Reply #2 on: March 01, 2019, 09:13:44 PM
I have Givi panniers and top-box. 

I keep a set of pannier and topbox keys under the seat unit as spares.   Topbox key on ignition key and pannier keys on secure fob in pocket.

Offline Cranky1

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000xr
Reply #3 on: March 03, 2019, 01:18:30 PM
I have the Shad panniers and collapsible too hard case. The panniers came with an extra key barrel and I just swapped it into the top case. They are not keyed to the bike but all three use the same key.
.914x.6096x.914. Only if she is 1.6002!
Sounds better in us measurements.

Offline est82

• XR Junior
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR
Reply #4 on: February 21, 2021, 05:14:29 PM
*Originally Posted by serge1966 [+]
I've fitted a full Shad system (SH36 paniers and SH48 top box) but never bothered with changing the locks...
I've marked the key for the top box with a dot of correction pen and the side case key with two dots... works ok!
Just thinking the hassle and cost isn't really worth it IMO...  :034:

Hey Serge,
I'm still deciding which top and side cases to buy. What are your impressions about the SHAD? Is the total volume OK to you to travel with another person? What do you recommend, to take both top and side cases on the max volume possible (I'm wondering to get a SH58 top case)? Does the side cases bothers when splitting lanes?
And the last one  :001: what is better, a bigger top case and small side cases or the opposite?

Offline sak240

• XR Junior
  • Bike: MY16 S1000XR Red
Reply #5 on: February 21, 2021, 07:05:52 PM
I have the 3 piece Shad system but my top case is a older sh39 which you can’t even get anymore.  That combined with the 2 side systems is more than enough, I took the 3 on a 10 day trip and could have easily just had the 2 sides.  I just ended up with a bigger first aid kit than what I likely needed and some cleaning supplies.  Next year I’ll be doing the same trip and may not even bring the top case, for 2 people packing properly it’s way more than enough especially if you get a bigger top case.

Offline RyanGTXR

• XR Pro
  • Bike: KTM 1290 GT
  • Town: Notts
Reply #6 on: February 21, 2021, 09:48:30 PM
Seeing as the BM boxes are made by Shad, I'd guess the lock barrels are interchangeable. Would just need the correct little tab thingys (forget what they're actually called :D )

Offline serge1966

• XR Pro
  • Town: Melbourne
Reply #7 on: February 23, 2021, 12:27:17 AM
*Originally Posted by est82 [+]
Hey Serge,
I'm still deciding which top and side cases to buy. What are your impressions about the SHAD? Is the total volume OK to you to travel with another person? What do you recommend, to take both top and side cases on the max volume possible (I'm wondering to get a SH58 top case)? Does the side cases bothers when splitting lanes?
And the last one  :001: what is better, a bigger top case and small side cases or the opposite?

Hi, the total volume is defo sufficient for two, with the set-up I have. Very happy with the build quality, the ease for securing and removing... and the weather proofing (they've been thru torrential rain for a few hours and everything was still bone dry on arrival)
The top case holds 2 full face helmets, no problem! I guess the SH58X gives you the option to choose how much volume is appropriate based on trip duration or gear packed.
Regarding lane splitting, you'll definitely have to remember that the side cases make the whole bike a little wider than the handlebars. But on a longer trip, we tend to avoid going thru cities and rather explore the countryside, so not really an issue there...
On the last question, that's a matter of preference IMO... smaller side cases might still allow you to lane split more easily  :002:
Decisions, decisions...  :084:

Life always offers you a second chance... it's called "Tomorrow"...

Offline est82

• XR Junior
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR
Reply #8 on: February 23, 2021, 03:37:48 PM
*Originally Posted by serge1966 [+]
Hi, the total volume is defo sufficient for two, with the set-up I have. Very happy with the build quality, the ease for securing and removing... and the weather proofing (they've been thru torrential rain for a few hours and everything was still bone dry on arrival)
The top case holds 2 full face helmets, no problem! I guess the SH58X gives you the option to choose how much volume is appropriate based on trip duration or gear packed.
Regarding lane splitting, you'll definitely have to remember that the side cases make the whole bike a little wider than the handlebars. But on a longer trip, we tend to avoid going thru cities and rather explore the countryside, so not really an issue there...
On the last question, that's a matter of preference IMO... smaller side cases might still allow you to lane split more easily  :002:
Decisions, decisions...  :084:

Thank you very much for the insights!!!

Offline fozz

• XR Pro
  • Bike: s1000 xr se
  • Town: Somerset
Reply #9 on: February 23, 2021, 05:05:04 PM
I have a Shad 58 sx top box and will be investing in the panniers soon.
My bike came with full bmw luggage but two weeks away 2 up, useless capacity!

dysfunctional