Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: BMW OEM TYRES  (Read 5064 times)

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
BMW OEM TYRES
« on: March 03, 2019, 09:20:39 AM »
Why does BMW fit such crap tyres to new bikes?

Just taken delivery of my new XR and note with disappointment that they are fitted with the same crap Bridgestone T30's - not even the latest T31's. The T30's are not that good - I started with them on my 2 previous XR's and had a few instances of loss of grip which I never experienced with better tyres.

Even the GS's have the crap Anakee 3 tyres fitted and I know those are also poor tyres as well.

Come on BMW, tyres are important so why not fit better ones.  :305:
PSH

Offline wessie

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 XR SE Sport
  • Town: Cheltenham
Re: BMW OEM TYRES
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 09:35:22 AM »
Every new bike I have bought has had tyres at least one version back from the current top of the range.

My R1200RS came with Metzeler Z8 when the Roadtec 01 was the new tyre. Fortunately the Z8 is a decent tyre.

The worst example of cost cutting was my Yamaha Tracer which came with Dunlop D222. A version of Roadsmart not available to buy on the retail market. Single compound and does not last long. I compared them to those part filled print cartridges you get with a new printer.

The most dangerous tyres I had were on a VFR750 in 1994, which had some awful Michelin A89/M89. The bike was transformed with a set of Bridgestone BT01. These are the only OE tyres I changed early.

The decision to cut corners with tyres does seem odd when you, as a new bike buyer, is their biggest marketing asset as most sales of a bike come from personal referrals. Sadly, in the modern world, the design and marketing people are usually over-ruled by accountants.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 09:36:06 AM by wessie »

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 11:36:14 AM »
Mine came with T30 tyres, and I took them off at 900m, in order to get fresh tyres for my hols.

I think they are pretty much -  run-of-the-mill tyres, but I hear great things about the T31.

I guess they get a great deal on those tyres, just like the Regina chain and other 'disposable' parts (batteries).

Online Bree

• XR God
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2019, 11:43:03 AM »
yep bigger profits I would presume.
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 07:11:51 AM »
I actually didn't mind the T30's, did a couple of track days on them at Phillip Island too, used right to the edges without a problem, just a couple of minor traction light moments.. :027:

Smithy.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 09:29:12 AM by smithy »
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline JTL

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: England
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2019, 06:29:42 AM »
I'm ok with the T30s. I've not had any grip problems, but then I'm not a fast rider.

Offline advr6

• XR Member
  • Town: Burlington
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2019, 04:38:10 PM »
I had the bike fishtail multiple times in the wet with T30s even in rain mode ...and yes traction control was on  :008:

Online Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2019, 04:59:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by Mareng1 [+]
Mine came with T30 tyres, and I took them off at 900m

Same miles here couldn’t be bothered to fit them on my Dymags but they worked OK.

Offline wilbert

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2018 XR Sport SE
  • Town: Lancashire
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2019, 10:34:30 PM »
I thought the T30's were ok but not great in the dry and bloody terrible in the wet. Lots of little slides in both rain and road mode and one big one that I just managed to keep shiny side up even if I did look like I was riding my motocross bike at the time.

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2019, 09:36:49 AM »
*Originally Posted by wilbert [+]
I thought the T30's were ok but not great in the dry and bloody terrible in the wet. Lots of little slides in both rain and road mode and one big one that I just managed to keep shiny side up even if I did look like I was riding my motocross bike at the time.

That’s not exactly ‘enticing’ me to refit them when my Roadsmarts are done.  :006:

dysfunctional