Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Front brake causes all lights to flicker  (Read 5299 times)

Offline BobsYourUncle

• XR Junior
Front brake causes all lights to flicker
« on: October 02, 2015, 01:12:06 PM »
Riding in the dark last night - I noticed that when the front brake was applied (quite quickly), the headlights and dash lights would briefly flicker. When back in the garage I put it on the centre stand. If the back wheel was turned slowly and the front brake applied an electrical device under the seat could be heard activating (ABS or something I guess). This electrical device was obviously pulling some big current as it caused the lights to briefly dim/flicker. Has anyone else got this 'issue'?

Offline RichS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Surrey
Re: Front brake causes all lights to flicker
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 03:49:48 PM »
Not heard of that one. You'll just have to go out on it tomorrow, for the whole day (naturally! :001:), and pop into a dealer at some point!

Offline grnmtvt

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Essex Junction
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 03:48:13 AM »
Do let us know what all that is about!  Will be interesting to hear the dealer's take on it. 
Many people ride.....but for a select group of people it's more than a ride....it's one of life's great passions.

Offline kyloke1

• XR Junior
  • Town: Nicholls
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 05:33:24 AM »
Have you found a fix?

Offline BobsYourUncle

• XR Junior
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 10:35:09 AM »
Dealer thought it was just the ABS and other systems priming themselves and taking power, which causes the flicker. To be honest I just ignore it. Don't notice it in the summer (don't ride much in the dark). It doesn't seem to cause any problems either done 4K miles in it now and all A-OK! In fact more than A-OK. The bike is f****** brilliant!

Offline kyloke1

• XR Junior
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 11:19:51 AM »
Tested the bike thoroughly tonight at a dark area. Realized it only happens when fan comes on brake lever pulled. Checked battery connection and noticed both connections just a little loose. Tightened both up and flicker hardly noticeable. Will know better when I go for a long ride tomorrow after work. Fingers crossed. Anyway dealer will look at the electrics next week. By the way, mine is a 2016 s1000rr,  similar enough to your xr.

Offline kyloke1

• XR Junior
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2016, 06:34:07 AM »
Okay, bike is with dealer sooner than expected and confirmed that it is not normal for the bike to behave like that.  However, they have yet to figure out what is causing the issue. Unfortunately the bike will be with the dealer over the weekend and ì have been given a loan bike. Will keep you posted when I hey more info from dealer.

Offline BobsYourUncle

• XR Junior
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 09:40:18 AM »
Interesting! Can you let me know what they say...

Offline kyloke1

• XR Junior
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2016, 05:17:47 AM »
Just got the bike back from the dealer. Dealer suspects software related issue. Cleared and reloaded the software. They tested and said it is now fine. I will know more when I take it home tonight. I hope it is just that simple fix.

Offline kyloke1

• XR Junior
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2016, 12:39:16 PM »
I can confirm it is not software. It still did it tonight. Dealer will talk to BMW and advise me tomorrow on what to do next. Stay tuned.