Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Front brake causes all lights to flicker  (Read 8298 times)

Offline kyloke1

• XR Junior
  • Town: Nicholls
Re: Front brake causes all lights to flicker
Reply #10 on: June 02, 2016, 11:15:22 AM
Dealer lodge a case with BMW today. I have also figured out why it dims/flicker when the front brake engaged.  Had something to do with the ABS. I took it out tonight and disengaged ABS and no dimming or flickering but as soon I turn ABS back on it happened again.  Nothing to do with DTC. It still dim when DTC disabled.  Try taking your bike out night and disengage the ABS. Yours will probably behave like mine.

Offline kyloke1

• XR Junior
  • Town: Nicholls
Reply #11 on: June 30, 2016, 05:05:09 AM
Ok after 5 days at the dealer for diagnosis the conclusion is that all s1000rr at the dealership have the same issue when tested under controlled conditions.  A "PUMA" case has been lodged with BMW Australia. Now is just wait and see if anything will be done.

Offline CobraKai

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: CA
Reply #12 on: July 01, 2017, 03:34:42 AM
Any update on this? I have the same thing on mine.

Offline CobraKai

• XR Member
Reply #13 on: September 05, 2017, 04:33:10 AM
bump

Offline Daz181

• XR Junior
Reply #14 on: January 10, 2021, 09:55:17 AM
Did anyone hear an update on this? Mine is now doing the same and dealer can't find any faults.

Offline CobraKai

• XR Member
Reply #15 on: January 10, 2021, 06:57:11 PM
*Originally Posted by Daz181 [+]
Did anyone hear an update on this? Mine is now doing the same and dealer can't find any faults.

To the best of my knowledge it's "normal". I got a new battery, new dash, and there is no difference.

The issue is the ABS pump has a high current draw on the electrical system, every time you touch the brakes the pump runs to engage the rear brake (due to electronically linked brakes), and that sudden pulse causes a system-wide voltage drop of about 1V. The headlight is directly connected and therefore you see a flicker. The LED's in the dash must be directly connected as they also dim rather than maintaining constant brightness.

I've learned to accept it as one of the very few faults of the bike.

Offline Daz181

• XR Junior
Reply #16 on: January 12, 2021, 07:13:17 PM
Thanks for the reply. A case had already been raised with BMW and awaiting their reply but I'm guessing I will just have to put up with it unfortunately. 🙄😒

Offline smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
Reply #17 on: January 12, 2021, 07:39:47 PM
*Originally Posted by CobraKai [+]
To the best of my knowledge it's "normal". I got a new battery, new dash, and there is no difference.

The issue is the ABS pump has a high current draw on the electrical system, every time you touch the brakes the pump runs to engage the rear brake (due to electronically linked brakes), and that sudden pulse causes a system-wide voltage drop of about 1V. The headlight is directly connected and therefore you see a flicker. The LED's in the dash must be directly connected as they also dim rather than maintaining constant brightness.

I've learned to accept it as one of the very few faults of the bike.

Interesting, mine has never done this... :084:

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!