Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Switching aux lights from DRL to full with hi beam?  (Read 1149 times)

Offline huckleberry

• XR Junior
  • Bike: '16 S1000XR
Switching aux lights from DRL to full with hi beam?
« on: February 22, 2017, 06:38:20 PM »
On my R1200GS I used a Skene IQ-275 with a signal from the lamp hi beam wire such that when I switched on the brights the aux DRLs would switch to 100% power. I'm looking for that same function on my new XR but am told I cannot do that same splice at the lamp housing with this bike. (I didn't pick it up yet so I'm working on internet lore). Assuming that is really the case... 

How is this accomplished on the XR without adding a switch or hacking the switchgear to add a contact to the existing one?

I know that Clearwater has the CANOpener which does this by intercepting the messages on the bus but am not terribly interested in paying for their lighting systems and it is not sold separately. Are there other players who have protocol hacks?

Offline Gbjbany

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2016 s1000xr
  • Town: Sacramento, ca
Re: Switching aux lights from DRL to full with hi beam?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 04:49:30 AM »
I went with the Billie jr for $279 with the canopener, vs the $600 approx for the Glenda's etc, might be an option for you

Offline Bob S

• XR Pro
  • Town: Welwyn, Herts
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 12:27:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by Gbjbany [+]
I went with the Billie jr for $279 with the canopener, vs the $600 approx for the Glenda's etc, might be an option for you

The Billie Junior is a rear brake light. Were you able to add other lights that could be operated through the can opener?

Offline Gbjbany

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2016 s1000xr
  • Town: Sacramento, ca
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 08:05:24 PM »
You could yes because you now have a switched powered source and a headlight beam  source from the can opener, so now you can wire as any other bike. I actually didn't, because a friend who totalled his bike sold me Glenda's very cheap