Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: PMS IS REAL... (parked motorcycle syndrome)  (Read 742 times)

Offline FieldSanitation

• XR Member
  • Bike: K1200s
  • Town: Reston,VA
PMS IS REAL... (parked motorcycle syndrome)
« on: March 13, 2019, 04:38:11 PM »
Every winter I start getting an itch...  This winter I've been able to get out on the road and at least one days in the twisties each month of winter so far.  Last year was so much worse, pretty sure I missed out on December AND January.  And this week, I've been able to ride 3 days in a row, so I'm in heaven.  Currently riding a 2007 K1200s, but my old knees are starting to complain a little bit, and my mind started wandering around Christmas...  wasn't sure if I wanted to go with a K1600B.... but after test riding it, I knew that maybe a I wasn't ready for a luxury couch just yet...  so I expanded my search to include a few outliers and reviewed my past rides..... and I think it's coming down to comfortable riding position and engine capability....  and the S1000xr is right up there on the HP and racing capability of my K1200s....

so I'll be test riding one within the next two weeks.... 

really looking forward to seeing what you all have done about the buzzy handlebars, if the windscreen is good for us shorter riders or if you upgraded it and any other crazy adventures and mods you've done...

See you in the wind!!!

Joey

Online otrp

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
Re: PMS IS REAL... (parked motorcycle syndrome)
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 05:02:47 PM »
Welcome Joey. The vibes go away with miles. You can do a search and see plenty on this topic, including heavier bar end weights. Any questions, let us know.   :002:

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 05:11:34 PM »
Still have my K of 10 years and not ready to give it up yet but i’ll Look forward to your test ride and a comparo just use a lot less throttle with the X/R they do make an interesting contrast.

Offline paulaj

• XR Junior
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 06:07:27 PM »
The XR is a great bike no doubt! But if you want to compare with other bikes try the KTM SDGT 1290 (2019 model) All day comfort, a screen that works, lots of useful goodies,handling and performance that can embarrass a sportsbike. No I don't own one but considering.Have a read of the road report from the UK Motorcycle News recently.
Sometimes too much choice!!

Offline FieldSanitation

• XR Member
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 07:19:54 PM »
So my history of bikes started back in the late 80's early 90s:

1981?  650 Honda nighthawk.  shaft drive, standard bike.
85? Maxim
04? Honda Shadow Spirit
2011 Yamaha FZ8 -  Killed my first deer with that one, LOVE naked bikes though.  :/   
1999 Honda VFR800  -  gods I LOVED that bike...  eaten away with the dry texas heat, replaced a lotta rubber and fluids
07? Triumph ST - decent bike, loved the burble, HATED the wobbling luggage rack...  that thing drove me bonkers anticipating the weight shift under load.
2007 BMW K1200s....

I really love the nakeds, so I was looking at the CB1000r ... got a line on a '14 with zero miles on it, and then I saw the XR and started reading the reviews and watching the videos...  and it seems right up my alley.

I also really like cruisers (my wife is on a CBR F4i, and I got off my Shadow because I couldn't keep up with her in the twisties) so I'm also looking at the new FATBOB from Harley... it seems capable, but the horsepower isn't there.

and @Winger I think the XR only has like 10 less horses than our K's...  (and I've accidentally caught myself doing over 100 on the way to work some mornings)...  but I want a more comfortable riding position...  and  http://cycle-ergo.com/  very simply laid out my options for me...  I really liked what I saw on the videos as far as power and overtake...  pre-test ride, I'm almost sold on the XR

Online Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 09:26:37 PM »
Hi. As always its a personal thing when selecting a new bike. Like many others on here I have had many bike's over the years. From out and out sports bike's, to sports tourers, naked, and a few inbetween.
But I can say in all honesty that the XR, is without doubt the best allround bike I have ever owned. I always emphasise allround, because there is obviously faster bikes out there. Better hardcore adventure / touring bikes, and better lighter fun bikes for hooning about on.
But I have yet to find another bike, that ticks all the boxes like the XR. In my opinion.
And no I have not tried all the others on offer, I could be interested in the KTM. But the dealer backup is not the best here and in europe. And for me that is a big part of owning the XR, Lots of backup, my local dealer has always been okay to work with. And as a lot of my riding is done in Europe then I really do appreciate the extensive dealer backup over there.
Look forward to your input, and great riding on whatever you choose to buy........ :305: :305:

Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2019, 12:13:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by paulaj [+]
The XR is a great bike no doubt! But if you want to compare with other bikes try the KTM SDGT 1290 (2019 model) All day comfort, a screen that works, lots of useful goodies,handling and performance that can embarrass a sportsbike. No I don't own one but considering.Have a read of the road report from the UK Motorcycle News recently.
Sometimes too much choice!!

Yep i’d Include that on any search for new bike the review by Phil West who has reputation for telling it how is was very interesting which can still be seen on the MCN website when he starts by saying best road bike he’s ever ridden and he covers all the down sides of KTM ownership combine that with this year is almost certainly the last of the current X/R with a new version probably only 9 months away plenty to ponder.

Offline Low-Brau

• XR Pro
  • Teutonic RocketNaut
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Saint Paul
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2019, 01:32:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by otrp [+]
Welcome Joey. The vibes go away with miles. You can do a search and see plenty on this topic, including heavier bar end weights. Any questions, let us know.   :002:

I second this. 

Either the vibes declined noticeably, or I was having so much fun riding the thing that I just stopped giving a flying fark...  :016:

Seriously: it smoothes out.  I didn't even add bar end weights.  Glad you selected the XR!!!
-Erik

"...but the XR is a sports bike on stilts!"
  -- zbdmark

Offline FieldSanitation

• XR Member
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2019, 12:53:17 PM »
TEST DRIVE:   the PEGS

ugh.  Every test drive I've ever done, used or new, I try to block out all the fraggles and whatzits and knobs and shiny.  I want my butt comfy, clear vision, mirror placement adjustable, and the engine to make me happy.  :029: 

the ride was divine.  comfy.  good mirror placement.  I even got to use the flash to pass to let a truck know he could slide back into the slow lane so I could overtake him...  so much easier to use than my K1200s with the thumb buttons for lane changing and headlight flicking...

air flow was weird.  not used to the sucking sound over my head, so when I stopped at the bottom of the offramp, I kicked the windscreen into the upper position, which ended up giving me a bubble, no buffet, but a different type whistle... so I know that would be something I will need to explore to find my happy place.... 

but I had stopped.  I tried to put my feet down and be nonchalant, calm and cool and glance around... :164:  tank comes back too far to put my feet in front of the pegs, kicking them to the side, I was tippy toeing....  hmmmm ...  got back up on top when the light turned green and whipped around through traffic, acted normal around the 6 police cars who were coming out of their parking lot to go out on patrol and stopped at the light with me... 

is the spinning wheel REALLY only used for the GPS!?!??  I heard one of the sales guys mention that as we were going over the controls.  :/  on the K1600B it spins through the heaters, the drive modes, and everything...   

so final thoughts and questions, for the shorter riders... did you adapt to the peg placement?  or make a change?  (I also noticed my right foot, when I slid it backwards, I placed it on the muffler/pipe)

Online Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2019, 01:24:38 PM »
I am 6ft 3in, and find I can put both feet down no problem a standard bike. But a lot of riders either go with the lowering kit or the lower seat. So there are a few choices open to you.....A Lot of riders also have to play around with the screen, I fitted a used MRA vario screen. Bliss, it took a few experiments but finally got it working great. Apart from side wind nothing much can be done about that, but overall now and most important no buffeting........
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

dysfunctional